Fate of "New SAA" to be decided soon

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
That’s not very representative. There should be at least one white person there to be blamed when things invariably go wrong.
It's the way it's going to be. Just as the pilots.

This will also fail and become a tax sponge and a drain on the people of SA but the anc insist on getting their free flights.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
That’s not very representative. There should be at least one white person there to be blamed when things invariably go wrong.
Those are all non-execs though. If I recall correctly there are a few white directors/senior managers.

neoprema

Expert Member
They're gonna launch SAA into market that has already made plans without them, how are they getting their codeshares back?
Kulula/BA/Comair, Safair, Airlink have all signed deals with Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Lufthansa etc etc to handle connection traffic between ZA and regional countries around us - nevermind that Ethiopian has placed itself perfectly to handle it.

Do these idiots not realize they're gonna prop up an airline into a market that has long left it behind? Just sell the thing already!

Forum Reader

SAA needs to go.

I wonder how the private airlines manage less profitable routes though. Do they just don't do the route or do they subsidize it with the profitable ones? eg. Bloem to PE. I doubt many use that route so it's probably not profitable.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
SAA needs to go.

I wonder how the private airlines manage less profitable routes though. Do they just don't do the route or do they subsidize it with the profitable ones? eg. Bloem to PE. I doubt many use that route so it's probably not profitable.

There will be a level of cross-subsidisation yes... but they will work hard to only work on routes that are profitable for them... but that might be a case of a single route being a loss leader but bringing passengers into a hub to make a bigger route more profitable (as a simplistic option of cross-subsidisation)

Gnome

Executive Member
All you need to do for SAA to succeed is remove any taxes they need to pay and then also add a "Not SAA" tax to every other airline to make up for SAA not paying tax.

That way the prices for tickets, etc. will be the same and some people might actually be willing to subject themselves to a new inclusive SAA.

markings

Expert Member
Great, so nobody on the board seems to have any airline, or even airline related experience. How does someone who work in agriculture or newspaper publishing make it on a airline board?

Oldfut

Great, so nobody on the board seems to have any airline, or even airline related experience. How does someone who work in agriculture or newspaper publishing make it on a airline board?
I think that is the whole idea so when the "new SAA" paper muis stoter signs a contract for bottled water at R100 per 500ml or jet fuel at R100/litre with Pravin's Trustworthy Corner Chemist, no one bats an eye.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur