Father regrets promise of sharing Lotto payout

schumi

Honorary Master
Pretoria - A Limpopo father of seven’s instant multi-millionaire status somewhat backfired on him after he promised each of his children a million rand on social media.

While it is not clear whether they all took him up on the offer, his former partner and mother of a teenage daughter insisted on receiving her child’s share.

When the husband refused to part with a small portion of his R20 million Lotto winnings, the woman, only identified in court papers as MM to safeguard the identity of her 14-year-old daughter, turned to the court.

The Limpopo High Court, sitting in Polokwane, said a promise was a promise, even if it was made via a WhatsApp message, and the father was ordered to pay up. The Judge President of that court, Judge EM Makgoba, remarked that the woman had, in fact, been reasonable. .
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news/news/father-regrets-promise-of-sharing-lotto-payout-16011526

Kosmik

Honorary Master
If you wanted to be greedy, shutup, otherwise don't victimise a child over another.

JayM

Expert Member
He should have told them they'll get their million when they're 18. By then inflation would have taken care of the debt.

ponder

Honorary Master
Interesting, people promise things all the time. Sue them!

Moto Guzzi

Damn, I going to revisit my financial advisor, this has to be good news.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
A promise is legally enforceable :crylaugh:
I don't think its quite that straight forward. I'm sure he's paying child support and that mother would be fully entitled to ask for higher payment, especially if he is giving a lump son to other children. The judge probably worded in somehow around that. While a promise may be binding ( verbal agreement ) , difficult to prove although he used social media and it was obviously recorded so not so hard.

krycor

Honorary Master
He lied to get a settlement on child support so it was revisited

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Imbecile. Rule number one of being a dead beat father with many children from different women. Do not allow ANY of them to find out your true financial status. Or so I heard.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I don't think its quite that straight forward. I'm sure he's paying child support and that mother would be fully entitled to ask for higher payment, especially if he is giving a lump son to other children.
That poor boy.

yebocan

Executive Member
...ok.

but, can someone explain...why massive Lotto and Power Ball jackpots, seem only to be won by folks in Limpopo or KZN...

Daruk

Honorary Master
The guy wins the lottery and he can't even share it with his kids. And people think adults make good parents.

access

Executive Member
...ok.

but, can someone explain...why massive Lotto and Power Ball jackpots, seem only to be won by folks in Limpopo or KZN...

once they read out the numbers before the balls showed up, called it a technical glitch :p

schumi

Honorary Master
A Sars employee who won R21 million in the lottery no longer owes his child R1 million – because his WhatsApp 'promise' was just

A winner of South Africa's National Lottery is off the hook for a R1 million payment to one of his seven children after the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) ruled he had actually never stopped lying about winning the lottery – and so had never seriously offered the child that money.
More at : https://www.businessinsider.co.za/lottery-winner-who-lied-wont-have-to-give-child-r1-million-promised-via-whatsapp-2019-12