Father regrets promise of sharing Lotto payout

smi

Expert Member
Stupid to tell the world your winnings on social media.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Its an interesting take from the courts really...
How so? The way I read it, he hasn't won squat and his promise was conditional on him winning the lotto.

What surprises me is that he got away with lying to the court about winning. They should have made him pay the woman's legal bill as punishment.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
How so? The way I read it, he hasn't won squat and his promise was conditional on him winning the lotto.

What surprises me is that he got away with lying to the court about winning. They should have made him pay the woman's legal bill as punishment.
If I had R20, I could give you R10.

So, considering the fact that I do have R20, I can give you R10, but I won't.
Saying that I'm able (or would be able) to do something is in no way a promise.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
If I had R20, I could give you R10.

So, considering the fact that I do have R20, I can give you R10, but I won't.
Saying that I'm able (or would be able) to do something is in no way a promise.
No, the premise is completely wrong in your analogy. He never won anything therefore his promise is invalid.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The guy wins the lottery and he can't even share it with his kids. And people think adults make good parents.
For every child failed in this world, two adults are responsible.

acidrain

Expert Member
The article states that he did win it, and lied saying that he didn't.
The way I read the SCA findings is that he never made a promise to begin with. Regardless whether he lied about winning, he merely made a statement to back up his denial, and not a promise.

When she found out, probably tried to re-negotiate the settlement and his response was that if he had won he would've given all his children R1m but because he hasn't done so, he therefore didn't win it.

My personal feeling though is a person who wins the lotto and doesn't feel to share it with their children to better their life is scum.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The way I read the SCA findings is that he never made a promise to begin with. Regardless whether he lied about winning, he merely made a statement to back up his denial, and not a promise.

When she found out, probably tried to re-negotiate the settlement and his response was that if he had won he would've given all his children R1m but because he hasn't done so, he therefore didn't win it.

My personal feeling though is a person who wins the lotto and doesn't feel to share it with their children to better their life is scum.
The last statement is 100% true....

chrisc

Executive Member
My UK cousin won £330000 in 2000 on the Irish Sweepstake. You can elect to keep your details private. She came here on holiday and I guessed that she had won big time since she is kind of a lottery addict

She gave me an expensive Swiss watch as a present (which I never wear) and bought a Grade-A listed house in Lime Regis. She bought her daughter a house and a car

Otherwise her life is much the same. A cruise every year and trips to the USA first class. In 2013 we all went to Las Vegas to see Celine Dion in concert. Las Vegas itself was an eye-opener

The money is invested in several ETFs

f22raptor

My UK cousin won £330000 in 2000 on the Irish Sweepstake. You can elect to keep your details private. She came here on holiday and I guessed that she had won big time since she is kind of a lottery addict

She gave me an expensive Swiss watch as a present (which I never wear) and bought a Grade-A listed house in Lime Regis. She bought her daughter a house and a car

Otherwise her life is much the same. A cruise every year and trips to the USA first class. In 2013 we all went to Las Vegas to see Celine Dion in concert. Las Vegas itself was an eye-opener

The money is invested in several ETFs
Did you leave another 0 because £330000 does not seem to be much.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
The guy wins the lottery and he can't even share it with his kids. And people think adults make good parents.
Not all adults are like that. When it comes to children, some adults go for quantity while others go for quality. #MyCulture

chrisc

Executive Member
Despite the holidays, houses and cars, the £330000 has not dropped that much. Some good investments have allowed it to maintain the value. The Irish Sweepstake organisation has been very helpful and provide lots of support without charging. She had in fact retired the year before

Brenden_E

Expert Member
Despite the holidays, houses and cars, the £330000 has not dropped that much. Some good investments have allowed it to maintain the value. The Irish Sweepstake organisation has been very helpful and provide lots of support without charging. She had in fact retired the year before
She bought a house, expensive gifts, cars and holidays with 6mil without it losing value? Erm, I'm taking this post with a pinch of salt.

John Tempus

Expert Member
She bought a house, expensive gifts, cars and holidays with 6mil without it losing value? Erm, I'm taking this post with a pinch of salt.
Ye, retiring with £330000 and even if you keep it from day one in the bank you would be paying upwards of 40% inheritance tax on any interest gained. Not to mention the average yearly salary is ~£30000 in England so best case scenario you are claiming she retired with a measily 10 year salary advance. How old is she ? It might be practical if shes in her late 80's.

So unless she lives in a puddle of mud there is no way she would be retiring in the UK nevermind in SA on such a small amount of money never mind the fact you stated she spend quite a bit of it.

Jury on this one seems clear, BS story. ;-)