Faulty "smart" meters reportedly leave Cape Town residents without water

winseraf

The exact same thing happened to us last week. There is water in the morning, after returning from work, no water.

access

Executive Member
how smart are these meters, what communication ports do they have

blunt

Expert Member
We had the previous WMD (non digital one - "Aqua loc") that decided to just not give us more than 20 litres a day, took 4 days to get it replaced and they put the new digital WMD in. So far so good.

marsbeetle

These meters supposedly communicate over a cellular network. They contain a battery that should last up to 5 years however mine only lasted 18 months before it shut itself off leaving me without water. LCD went blank. They also can't just replace the battery onsite and have to remove the entire meter and replace it. Doing this means everyone in your road is likely to have their water supply shut off while they do the replacement.

I only ended up with this "smart" meter because my previous meter was located inside my property. CoCT replaced it free of charge with this rubbish. I should never have accepted this but did so because it meant I didn't have to manually enter my reading on the CoCT website else they would just give me the average household usage(which is way higher than what I was using with my own borehole).

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Wait! They asked Xanthea Limberg? Lol

When contacted by MyBroadband, the City of Cape Town said it was not familiar with the scenario described by the reader.
Bullshyte as usual!

richjdavies

how smart are these meters, what communication ports do they have
None. This is abuse of the term smart meter.

This is a dumb mechanical meter with a reed switch pulse counter. And that dumb reed switch (which could jiggle for all kinds of reasons - e.g. trucks driving by, some magnetic fields nearby, electricity?) is what decides if they switch off water and in so doing violate your human rights!

This is a dodgy tender for dodgy equipment. Very De Lille...

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
These meters supposedly communicate over a cellular network. They contain a battery that should last up to 5 years however mine only lasted 18 months before it shut itself off leaving me without water. LCD went blank. They also can't just replace the battery onsite and have to remove the entire meter and replace it. Doing this means everyone in your road is likely to have their water supply shut off while they do the replacement.

I only ended up with this "smart" meter because my previous meter was located inside my property. CoCT replaced it free of charge with this rubbish. I should never have accepted this but did so because it meant I didn't have to manually enter my reading on the CoCT website else they would just give me the average household usage(which is way higher than what I was using with my own borehole).
Am I alone in being wary of ANYTHING with the adjective 'smart' attached to it?

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
My LG OLED 4K Smart TV doesn't compare to my water meter :)
I have Samsung smart TVs in the UK and here, but never use the smart feature. The UK one was bought in a sale at wifey's bidding, and the SA one was for 3 d DVD's. The UK one does 3d too, but I have only used each once. Too much trouble. I did look at the smart bit in the UK once, but it didn't offer anything I wanted. I haven't tried it in SA, if only because the data is so expensive.
I have an i-phone 5s bit prefer the 10 year old nokia to get out of the gate, due to the ridiculous key strokes with the i phone,and its very low battery life. Twatter etc l avoid.

krieg

Not quite they use 433Mhz. I also don't agree with the whole street getting shut down, you should have a cheap plastic stop cock before the water meter to isolate only your supply. These meters are actually quite all right in my opinion, they put the digital meter plus an analogue meter next to each other.

Swa

Honorary Master
Isn't it illegal to cut off water in any case? What you get for voting DA.

It's still way better than the ANC's absolute best.
Beg to differ. ANC removes your meter due to a leak so you don't get an account for it.

marsbeetle

Not quite they use 433Mhz. I also don't agree with the whole street getting shut down, you should have a cheap plastic stop cock before the water meter to isolate only your supply. These meters are actually quite all right in my opinion, they put the digital meter plus an analogue meter next to each other.
I watched them do it, they shut off my streets water supply. These meters are not alright as far as the digital component is concerned. Far too many issues and unreliable.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Typical, many people experience the same issue and it's "just isolated incidents with no correlation".