Favourite brand of tomato sauce?

What's your favourite brand of tomato sauce?

• All Gold Tomato Sauce

Votes: 162 60.2%
  • Heinz Tomato Ketchup

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Wellingtons

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Wimpy

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Whatever comes out of the bottle/no preference

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Don't touch the stuff

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Stokstert

Executive Member
I like the taste of Checkers House Brand smooth & tangy Mayo, it has a different taste and comes often as an R17,99 special.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You need to abstain from the all gold for a month so your tongue can rid itself of the toxins, then run the test.
That is what triggered this "experiment". Ran out of All Gold. Nothing on the shelves in our area-- ended up buying other brands --- went back to All Gold.

Last edited:

Fox1

Executive Member
It's very good I agree. But the Mr. Sauce Whip reminds me of KFC's mayo/whip back in the late 80's.
Another one that was great but no longer available is Clover's Cream O'Naise. Haven't seen that for more than a year now.
Woolworths Mayo is very close in flavour to the KFC Whip. I'll definitely give Mr Sauce a try.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Mayo: Nola and Cross and Blackwell But then we do not eat either "neat" always used as the basis of our own sauces anyway, where we add spices, herbs etc

Currently, in our area, Bartletts Eggs are running specials where you get samples of a new Mayo, Clover is trying to market. Now that is terrible stuff! They have a range from extremely spicy, to so mild you think it is slightly off thick milk.

neoprema

Executive Member
Yep, some really are vile.

American taste? Why? I've tasted a few Americans, nothing to write home about :X3:

I guess it's about taste vs health for most of us though.

Only Hellmans can win taste.
Have a great day.
+1 on this. If it is cause its American thats fine, their Mayo is clearly better!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Hellmans and Burger King mayo (in the burger) is more suited for American taste. Massive amounts of oil (65% plus) using soybean oil. Our regular South African mayo, Nola and C&B and Woolworths is around 50% using sunflower oil. Very different taste profiles.
Massive? That's because oil is the main ingredient in mayo.

adrcl

Massive? That's because oil is the main ingredient in mayo.
Government have a department to check if the minimum oil content of mayonnaise is 52%.
65% is considered to be massive since oil is one of the more expensive ingredients.
Woolworths French style mayo approx. 80% oil hence the price.

Fox1

Executive Member
Tomato sauce thread but I use Steers Tikka Sauce on pizza. It's very similar to the stuff Debonairs use.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
None. I don't really dig tomato sauce and chutneys. Give me a hot sauce any day :thumbsup:

That being said we always have one or two bottles of All Gold, but that's mainly used by the wife and kids. My brother in law put tomato sauce on anything. The other day I saw him put it on a piece of steak I made for us. I died a little inside.