FCC approves Starlink's use in cars, aircraft, and vessels

Rual dV

Staff member
Company Rep
Starlink approved for use in cars and planes

Elon Musk’s SpaceX won permission from US regulators to offers its Starlink broadband-from-space service to users in vehicles, vessels and aircraft.

The Federal Communications Commission announced the decision in an order published Thursday, which said it also granted permission for the service to mobile customers of Kepler Communications Inc.

system32

Executive Member
Elon Musk’s SpaceX won permission from US regulators to offers its Starlink broadband-from-space service to users in vehicles, vessels and aircraft.... for use with trucks, recreational vehicles, boats and aircraft

and

Viasat has objected to SpaceX’s Starlink, saying it raises the risk of in-space collisions

Is Viastar concerned that an RV will lose control whilst using internet and collide with the space station?

Just like this:
1656658900156.png

mypetcow

Imagine the integration possibilities with normal cars...no LTE WiFi sticks to take with you anymore!
Can't wait for that day.
I hope that you can get one subscription with multiple antennas like one at home, one for your car, etc.

system32

Executive Member
Imagine the integration possibilities with normal cars...no LTE WiFi sticks to take with you anymore!
Can't wait for that day.
I hope that you can get one subscription with multiple antennas like one at home, one for your car, etc.
I think it's more for caravan / camping / truckers to remote areas.

Will be game changer for smaller ocean boats & aircraft.

The older satellite receivers on boats & aircraft were very bulky to hold dish which moves:
1656666152483.png
On aircraft there is a measurable fuel issue because of the bump.
Starlink is a phase array antenna which does not move and is flat.
The fuel saving alone is huge.

And
1656666396542.png
Size is not an issue on big ships, just the speed - Starlink is much faster.
For smaller yachts, size is important.

The BELOW is NOT starlink:
1656666811127.png

Something flat like this:

1656666892220.png