Fears over huge numbers at South Africa's prime holiday destinations - But bookings are still very low

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

maumau

Honorary Master
I suspect many coastal low bookings will be cancelled after last night’s speech.

Grouter

Expert Member
I suspect many coastal low bookings will be cancelled after last night’s speech.
They have been. Here in Sedgefield it's looking a bit dire.
Plenty cancellations I'm hearing.
And every one is for the same reason: "'cos the beaches will be closed".

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
They have been. Here in Sedgefield it's looking a bit dire.
Plenty cancellations I'm hearing.
And every one is for the same reason: "'cos the beaches will be closed".
What else is there to do if the beaches are closed? Same with Mossel Bay, Wilderness, and Plett.

Plett was heaving today but you know people are going to start heading home tomorrow.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If the government was really serious about stopping the spread of covid they would have barred interprovincial travel. The fact that they haven't shows that they are just window dressing. The single biggest cause of the spread of the virus over the Christmas period is going to be interprovincial travel when half the country fans out to other parts of the country. We are going to have huge surge after the Christmas holidays when everyone returns back to their home provinces.

B-1

Expert Member
Colesberg, I can understand, but Johannesburg?

Plenty people staying close to home this year. I know a few who cancelled their seaside bookings and got something close to home.

W.Salie

What about places like pinelake? And how bad is the infection rate there?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Colesberg, I can understand, but Johannesburg?
There was a miscalculation; there's actually no second wave in Jo'burg. That is, until the Government figures out a way to fudge the numbers into a second wave.

kfc4unme

If the government was really serious about stopping the spread of covid they would have barred interprovincial travel. The fact that they haven't shows that they are just window dressing. The single biggest cause of the spread of the virus over the Christmas period is going to be interprovincial travel when half the country fans out to other parts of the country. We are going to have huge surge after the Christmas holidays when everyone returns back to their home provinces.
I disagree. Stopping interprovincial travel now is pointless. Every province has covid.