Fears over oxygen shortage amid South Africa's COVID-19 surge

grok

Honorary Master
Dr's complaining they cannot save lives due to lack of kit?
Gawd we finally starting to sound like a third-world shithole like Zimbabwe.

crocopede

On a similar note, how was R519Billion not enough to provision all hospitals with enough ventilators and oxygen?
Was any hospital furnished to prepare? Or did the ANC steal the entire 519Billion?

RedViking

Nord of the South
No need to worry. There will be a sign in each ward:

"Please shout if you can't breath"

It has a similar function to the sign:

"Warning! Potholes for 5 kilometres"

ChuckNorris

Heard somewhere they said the ventilators does not really work. They are administering pure oxygen up the 26l/min. Because of the big demand on oxygen a lot of hospitals are having problems with the structure that was build to hold the oxygen outside the hospital.

I saw you can order a oxygen consentrator on aliexpress for around R4k delivered. But it only goes up to 6l/min

Oldfut

I'm surprised that little emergency work has been put in place to deal with this; maybe hooking up road tanker trailers into the hospital system and that sort of thing rather than smaller tanks and cylinders. As long as ou Twakkie doesn't get a glowing zol involved.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I'm surprised that little emergency work has been put in place to deal with this; maybe hooking up road tanker trailers into the hospital system and that sort of thing rather than smaller tanks and cylinders. As long as ou Twakkie doesn't get a glowing zol involved.

There are significant industrial safety implications with handling compressed and cryogenic gases. I don't think ad-hoc apparatus would be acceptable. There is a shortage of tankers, tanks, cylinders, as well as piping.

Oldfut

There are significant industrial safety implications with handling compressed and cryogenic gases. I don't think ad-hoc apparatus would be acceptable. There is a shortage of tankers, tanks, cylinders, as well as piping.
I'm sure there is a shortage of manufacturing capability as well, or was. But there should be, or was, the capability to ramp up to what is required, provided there is the payment. I know a little about gases; not oxygen specifically but methane, hydrogen and carbon monoxide (and dioxide separately), having been involved in a number of power and co-generation projects for quite a few years, and the other peripheral possibilities around the other gases from this.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master