Fed-up driving schools launch e-mail petition

snugam

Fed-up driving schools launch e-mail petition [Pretoria News & Beeld Says]

Good Day

Today we had an article regarding the petition mounted against the drivers licence and learners license booking system a.k.a Call Centres.

Today an article was published in the Pretoria News, and I was hoping to be able to star a thread here for conversations relating to our petition or our website.

will this be allowed? :confused:

Regards,

Last edited:

snugam

Fed-up driving schools launch e-mail petition [Pretoria News & Beeld Says]

Yesterday Pretoria News published an article about the problems experienced to make a driver and/or learners licence booking in South Africa.

Some of the previous articles suggests that there is a back-log of over 37 000 people; what makes it worse is that it was later discovered that not all the test centers are used to capacity, some are standing empty or are closed.

Today Die Beeld published on page 8 - "Petisie oor rybewys-chaos" which again nails the issue at hand - the Government is facing an imminent disaster surrounding the licencing of drivers while in the same breath they are complaining about the death toll on SA roads, deaths caused by negligent or unlicenced drivers.

The article on the front page of the Pretoria News yesterday mentioned that some people are opting to buy their driving licences at R1500. This is a direct result of people not being able to get a licence and is causing more and more people to drive on SA road who positively have no idea what it means to be a licenced driver.

Please share your comments and fears about this here. It is really important for us to let the Government know - it is time to make a change in South Africa.

Initially we informed President Mbeki of issues experienced and then this week we informed the office the president of our intentions to petition.

TEAM SAIDI (South African Institute of Driving Instructors)

Last edited:

ld13

Honorary Master
Went through it myself yesterday. Took me 3 hours to just "get an appointment". The quickest that they could help me was: 29November. :eek:

armitage

Expert Member
wow that's quite fast.
Last year when i had to do my appointment I booked in February for a july appointment.

Just to be safe i went then to the next drivers licence testing centre and booked for another date(september).
I did fail my first test but luckily i had the backup test. In the end I spent close to R3k on tests, lessons, apointments and whatnot.
Poor schmucks who have to get a test these days i pity.

armitage

Expert Member
oh and then there's the thing that in some municipalities you have to use the testing centres car nowadays.

Can you imagine how frekking hard that is? You don't know this car from a bark of wood and now u suddenly have to do ure drivers test in it? Shame poor them.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
oh and then there's the thing that in some municipalities you have to use the testing centres car nowadays.

Can you imagine how frekking hard that is? You don't know this car from a bark of wood and now u suddenly have to do ure drivers test in it? Shame poor them.

Why? That's just crazy.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They do it because the cars are kitted with cameras etc etc etc to root out corruption.

Its both so the student can see he did everything wrong that he gets marked for, but also to stop the instructors taking bribes.

Alan

Honorary Master
They do it because the cars are kitted with cameras etc etc etc to root out corruption.

Its both so the student can see he did everything wrong that he gets marked for, but also to stop the instructors taking bribes.

:eek:

So no more [-]R4.50[/-] cat pie bribes :(

ld13

Honorary Master

Thats just crazy! I started with my driving lessions yesterday too. Spent a good hour getting used to the car. How am I supposed to climb into a new car and then they expect me to use that car to pass? :confused:
lol

I must pass the 29November test. Because my learners expires in January 2008. Thus not enough time to get a new appointment date :(

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Try and book a backup test a few days later, that way if you fail you don't have to go to the back of the queue. That's what I did, luckily because I needed it. ;)

BradDC

hmm... I have to book again, though cant find an entire day to sit in queues waiting for them :|

snugam

A while back they launched an email booking system, which seemed to allow more people to get bookings, however later one they said that it was only for a month and the stopped the system again - no one would really know why they did it. It just seems that they are ignoring problem - or rather, that is the impression that one would get from a public perspective anyway.

pcgig

Dont they have an sms waiting list,so as soon as there is a place they send an sms to the learner driver?

antowan

Honorary Master
Seems like South Africa is going the route of the Dodo when it comes to efficiency. In other African countries corruption and simple ineptness slows down things conveniently enough to make it easier for folks to get bribes from the public willing to pay to get things done. This is how people end up paying bribes for stuff that should be easy, free and efficient.

lion_fish

Expert Member
This is how people end up paying bribes for stuff that should be easy, free and efficient.

FREE is the keyword here.

Because of inefficiency and corruption, we do end up paying for alot of services that in most other countries (1st and 3rd world) would be essentialy free or so near to free its makes no difference.

The 2 biggest corrupt centres in SA that effect the most people are Home Affairs and The Motor Vehicle centers.

snugam

Seems like South Africa is going the route of the Dodo when it comes to efficiency. In other African countries corruption and simple ineptness slows down things conveniently enough to make it easier for folks to get bribes from the public willing to pay to get things done. This is how people end up paying bribes for stuff that should be easy, free and efficient.

It really is an horiffic thought if you state it like that. I believe that the South African government should adapt a policy of efficiency involving technologies to increase service delivery. In so many ways has this proven to be a success.

skoob

Executive Member
Oh Fsckit...might as well try and book now before my learners expires AGAIN.
*sigh*

Pat Allen

SAIDI needs everyone to sign our petition and read our website

Hello everybody!

We really appreciate your interest in the problems facing new drivers.

Please log in to our website and sign our petition if you are struggling to book a legal learner's or driver's license appointment.see http://saidi.co.za.

It is a new site and we are appealing to the Government to change the way of booking since it is not working.

It has not worked for five years!

One big problem is that there are too few examining officers to meet the needs of the population.

Another problem is that there is a lack of communication between the testing centres, so we are seeing deserted testing centres but can't get appointments.

The authorities have a big problem with corruption in the driving school industry and with their own staff. They have camera footage of it!

We want to hear from you when you go to different test centres and let us know how busy they are! Send us a photo with your cell phone. Give us dates, times you arrived and left, which test centres.

We want to thank those members of the public who have tried and are trying so hard to become legal drivers.

To all those who have given up and are driving illegally, we want to encourage you to get legal before you have an accident and end up paying for the rest of your life even if the other person caused the accident.
Please get hold of us with your questions. We want to help you to get legal!

Help us to help you by signing the petition and sending it to everybody who is struggling now to get an appointment, or has eventually managed to pass, or has given up and is now either driving illegally, or using public transport (we want to hear if that is satisfactory), or also we want to hear from people who have been adversely affected by not having a license. Write your story on the space in the Petition.

The present way of booking in Gauteng is to phone the Provincial Call Centre on 086 042 88364 (11 numbers yes!). The Ekuruleni number is no longer in use. Appointments can be made for all the towns such as Boksburg, Benoni, Edenvale, Germiston, Kempton Park, Delmas, Nigel, Springs, Randburg, Sandton, Roodepoort, Midrand, Langlaagte, West Rand such as Krugersdorp, Randfontein, Westonaria, Carletonville, and for Pretoria / Tshwane at Waltloo and Centurion, also at Rayton and more.

We are asking for Email booking directly through the testing centres to be brought back. It worked so well in July. We saw busy test centres again at last!

Langlaagte is using 1400 Toyota Corollas fitted with cameras in an effort to stamp out corruption. I am told it will be a long time before the other areas get them.Yes! It is terribly difficult for a new driver to get used to a different clutch etc. as soon as they start a test. I think the best solution is to try to drive a Corolla before the test. Borrow one if possible.

If there was not so much corruption the authorities would not have to resort to this sort of thing. It can also work in your favour. If you know the car did not roll, you can look at the footage and prove your case, for example.

Admit it!

How many people have not heard of some corrupt way of passing?
How many driving schools have offered to guarantee a pass if you pay (R?) extra.
How many driving schools now are getting block bookings, expanding their driving schools, and quietly paying for under the table privileges?
Everybody knows about this.
Everybody knows it is freely available.
Some people take advantage of these offers.

Others are disgusted.

How do you feel about it?

Some examining officers are only too happy to accept a bribe.

For anybody who knows about something corrupt, and wants to report it without anyone finding out it was you who gave them away, do you know about the sms "Tip Off" number? You send an sms to 32211 and tell them what you know. Give details if you want it stopped. They guarantee that they do not get your number unless you include it in the sms asking them to contact you. It is an anonymous way to report corruption.

If your driving school used stolen test sheets for preparing you for the learner's license test, you can report them the same way. With the new learner's license tests now you will fail because you can not learn all the answer sheets off-by-heart!

Registered driving schools can buy the correct training material from the department so that you will be correctly trained when you do your learner's license test.

Another thing, ask to see your valid driving instructor's certificate before you pay good money to someone who may run off with your money and let you down.

A driving instructor's certificate is valid for 1 year, so before it expires we have to re-apply. Ask to see the receipt to prove your instructor is operating legally. If they do have a recent receipt it is valid until the new one is issued. We battle with testing centres losing our documentation etc. too.

The police clearance of our fingerprints takes about 16 weeks or more before we are cleared, annually, until we can be obtain our new certificate. We also have to send a doctor's report and do an annual test in order to qualify. Sometimes we are passed for a couple of years without a re-test, but if your driving instructor is not sign-marking his or her vehicle, and if it does not have a dual-control brake on the left side then be very careful! (Ask if the car is insured. SAIDI can put instructors in touch with the insurance company which insures us).
You may have made contact with an illegal instructor.

Please report any use of alcohol, drugs, sexual advances, failure to give the lessons paid for, using an un-roadworthy vehicle etc. to us.We also love to hear compliments and good things about your driving instructors. We know that there are so many dedicated instructors who go the extra mile to help you to become a safe driver. Please let us know about them!

We know the authorities want to regulate the driving school industry. The bad instructors gives the rest of us a bad name, and damage our professional status.

SAIDI is short for "The South African Institute of Driving Instructors".

We are soon going to publish a list of our members, their photos, as well as a photo of the vehicle you will be learning in, and their contact details.

You will feel safer choosing a SAIDI registered instructor because we have a code of conduct. Please read it in our website under "Our Constitution".

Please feel free to send your questions to us. We are also willing to offer specific pages of the law to help you clarify questions. Just give us a little time. We are working on a voluntary basis and must also earn a living sometimes.

Pat Allen
Chairperson: SAIDI Pretoria / Tshwane
Secretary: SAIDI Gauteng ;)

Last edited: