Fedgroup - Impact Farming Investment

Dolby

Honorary Master
I only stumbled on idea this today - which is weird, as this investment method has been available through FedGroup (https://www.fedgroup.co.za/) since mid-last year (the pilot actually started 2016). It's also been on eNCA, The Star, Sunday Times etc ... so strange that I missed it. Anyhow, Fedtrust do unit trusts, insurance, life policies etc - so everything is above board and legit. Here's the actual site to the Impact Farming >>> https://www.fedgroup.co.za/ventures/impact-farming

It's called Impact Farming and it differs from traditional investing, as you don't invest in companies or stocks - but rather the actual item that generating the revenue. So right they have 3 categories and you can buy the actual item (solar panel, blueberry bush or bee hive) and get returns when harvesting time etc. Each one has different times they pay out and frequency they pay out too. Here's a summary :

Solar (R5,000.00 per panel) - 20 year life / 170+ available to buy
Honey (R4,000.00 per hive) - 10 year life / 340+ available to buy
Blueberry (R300.00 per bush) - 8 year life / 2,600+ available to buy

Your returns on the solar and honey are as follows - and the Blueberry is similar, but only an 8 year life. I've bought 2 x Blueberry bushes to try it out - but I think this concept is really interesting and can probably be expanded. I have received a referral code, so if you guys do happen to sign up - please forget me, as I can buy another Blueberry bush. My code is 00WLGTW - use it, or not ;)

1555779796181.png

Anyone else on here using this ?

I'm too new at this to give anything comprehensive report - but happy to update, as I go ahead.

fruitbat

Expert Member
I popped in 2k in blue berry some time last year. Think it’s 7 or 8 bushes. Got cash back in dec,Jan,feb totally R76or so. I’m letting it ride to see what happens... I thought it was “something different”

adielk

Expert Member
I popped in 2k in blue berry some time last year. Think it’s 7 or 8 bushes. Got cash back in dec,Jan,feb totally R76or so. I’m letting it ride to see what happens... I thought it was “something different”
R76 per bush? Each month or total to date?

fruitbat

Expert Member
R76 per bush? Each month or total to date?
Nah that’s total. I think the amount grows each year as how much per bush. And it’s weather and rain dependent I presume. Supposed to be smoothed at 12 or 14% p.a life time me thinks.

I’m just letting this thing ride and I can say I own a few bushes.

Dolby

Honorary Master
According to their projection, 4% the first few years... 20%+ thereafter...

So it should ramp up a few years down the line

Dolby

Honorary Master
Nah that’s total. I think the amount grows each year as how much per bush. And it’s weather and rain dependent I presume. Supposed to be smoothed at 12 or 14% p.a life time me thinks.

I’m just letting this thing ride and I can say I own a few bushes.
Yea I think 12% is the average total over 8 years.

I also want to say I own these bushes... Hehe. And it's different. See where it goes.

12% isn't bad

fruitbat

Expert Member
Yea I think 12% is the average total over 8 years.

I also want to say I have these bushes... Hehe. And it's different. See where it goes.

12% isn't bad
Yeah! Wish I could get a photo of them lol

beefymoocow

I heard you also get some wear and tear tax allowance. Anyone got any ideas how that works.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Didn't make anything last year was asked to pay in... A honey badger destroyed my five hives.... Silly stoffel!

Jk! Thanks for sharing looks like something quite different will have a look.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Oh nice ... and ?
And is the solar ?
That's a monthly return ?
I got one of the second/recent batch out for solar so still waiting for it to go live. Made R17 from the four blueberries (only had one payment).

Short term, this is a stupid investment. With enough assets over 10+ years though returns could be substantial.

Suspect99

Executive Member
This is mine. I've paid R5600 for a solar panel and a couple of berry bushes in November 2018.

Earnings to date is R257Screenshot_2019-04-20-23-29-58-007_za.co.fedgroup.mobile.jpeg

Dolby

Honorary Master
I don't think any of those returns are that bad actually.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The only thing to keep in mind is that your initial investment is destroyed at the end of term. So you need to take into account that your payouts need to recoup that amount prior to actually making a profit. Returns are still good though.

I got two bushes.

Dolby

Honorary Master
The only thing to keep in mind is that your initial investment is destroyed at the end of term. So you need to take into account that your payouts need to recoup that amount prior to actually making a profit. Returns are still good though.

I got two bushes.
That's what I was going to ask actually.

So I see I can sell the asset now, but as soon as it gets to the end of life (8/10/20)... Your initial contribution disappears?

ie I put in R50k right now and can sell it anytime to end of life (though, I'm sure buy is very low)... but at EOL, it's gone?

Last edited: