Fedgroup - Impact Farming Investment

richjdavies

Expert Member
Did you read our investigate the investment material? Or even a post of mine a few back?

Yes. I saw that, but the post I quoted gives a very different profile:
"bringing in 5% after a year and half."

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yes. I saw that, but the post I quoted gives a very different profile:
"bringing in 5% after a year and half."
Probably only two harvests. I was in a similar boat a while back, sitting at 5%,currently at 4% ( due to time) but next harvest is Dec and Mar so it will jump again. The percentage is return over time which will drop due to the large time between income distributions.

neoprema

Executive Member
What are the exact numbers then?
Paid xxx
Got yyy at date zzz etc...
Is 5% assuming you get your XXX back?
I was testing it to see what its like, so i bought 14 bushes at R 4200.00 on 2019-06-2
2019-12-31 got R130.98 back
2020-03-14 got R175.42 back
Thats all so far.

If I read the portfolio overview it says "Return: 5%". Is the 12% only reached after the end of life of the bushes?

beefymoocow

Expert Member
I was testing it to see what its like, so i bought 14 bushes at R 4200.00 on 2019-06-2
2019-12-31 got R130.98 back
2020-03-14 got R175.42 back
Thats all so far.

If I read the portfolio overview it says "Return: 5%". Is the 12% only reached after the end of life of the bushes?

So each payment you getting 20% more than the previous payment?

richjdavies

Expert Member
Just to be clear then, there's no blueberry market risk here - you get paid when they harvest, regardless of yield and market price. But at an escalating number.

If so that 12% is very misleading, and possibly worse than Fedgroups other bonds/rates. Pity there is zero consumer protection about APR/IRR/Interest calculations.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
My brother is doing well with his solar.

But anyone been paid out for Blueberry bushes? It's supposed to me twice a year. Last year the 2nd for the year was 31st December.

B-1

Expert Member
Has anyone tried to write off the depreciation of your panels or bushes against income earned? Seems like it would make it a good investment if you can.

mervman

Has anyone tried to write off the depreciation of your panels or bushes against income earned? Seems like it would make it a good investment if you can.

I wrote off the entire amount in the year I purchased. No queries from SARS.

Reactions: B-1

beefymoocow

Expert Member
Yep SARS allows you to write off the full amount. But remember when you dispose of the asset its fully taxable. Since your base cost is now zero.

Last edited:

mervman

Yup. I think these Fedgroup farming products have a lifespan though. 20 years for the panels and less for the hives and berries. I hope not to need to sell till then.

mr_norris

Expert Member
My brother is doing well with his solar.

But anyone been paid out for Blueberry bushes? It's supposed to me twice a year. Last year the 2nd for the year was 31st December.

My solar is doing well too. In the last invoice / statement I received, I see the Blueberry bill was invoiced, so just waiting for payment.

I wrote off the entire amount in the year I purchased. No queries from SARS.
I did the same.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I got a small amount in my last statement for blueberries. Not sure what happens from here. Would like to keep it for a future purchase of blueberry bushes.

neoprema

Executive Member
Me too, but i'm not happy, the amount is less than the last payout and i've read a few articles saying ZA had a bumper crop for Blueberries? Weird.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I got more, but only because I had a lot more blueberries this time around. I've reached the stage where I'm going to stop buying and just draw out every now and then. Ideally I'd like more solar panels but the price is a real killer. I do like the better returns though.

mr_norris

Expert Member
The withdrawal process is pretty archaic, I expected a less admin experience, but all in all, not too bad. You request a withdrawal from the app, then someone mails you asking how much, you respond, and shortly afterwards they EFT you. I expected more of a self service experience, but oh well. Not too bad.