Fedgroup - Impact Farming Investment

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Me too, but i'm not happy, the amount is less than the last payout and i've read a few articles saying ZA had a bumper crop for Blueberries? Weird.
Odd, mine is alright. Remember there is a second payout in March as well.

pkid

Expert Member
My blueberry payout was more than Jan 2020 but less than March 2020. Hopefully March 2021 is a good payout. I have some solar and that is ticking along now. What I am most disappointed in is the honey to be honest. I thought it would make more money.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Hey guys stumbled across an article on this, it might be mentioned somewhere else but its also pretty cool and similar to this impact farming investment

1611780620778.png

BizarreBroz

I didn't have luck with receiving a tax return for depreciation of my blueberry farming investment last year. I have since fired my tax consultant. As with all things finance, it really does seem better to just do it myself. Is there anyone who would be willing to explain how you completed your tax return? Would I still be able to claim for depreciation from this year onwards even though the previous tax return was screwed up? I am looking at straight line depreciation over five years. My tax practitioner tried to get it all back in one year. Yeah, don't even ask....

BizarreBroz

Me too, but i'm not happy, the amount is less than the last payout and i've read a few articles saying ZA had a bumper crop for Blueberries? Weird.
Yeah, I'm completely with you on this! i even approached Fedgroup to ask them why we got so little if ZA had such a great blueberry year, but sadly they did not bother to respond. I hope that our March payout will be better. I feel like we were screwed.

mr_norris

Expert Member
As with all things finance, it really does seem better to just do it myself. Is there anyone who would be willing to explain how you completed your tax return?
Fedgroup should have sent you a "tax pack" explaining what to do. Their doc goes into detail about what you can do and how to do it. I got mine in June last year. If you signed up after Feb last year then I think you'll probably be sent one around the same time.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Yeah, I'm completely with you on this! i even approached Fedgroup to ask them why we got so little if ZA had such a great blueberry year, but sadly they did not bother to respond. I hope that our March payout will be better. I feel like we were screwed.
I also feel like the returns are a bit meh, but I think you need to manage expectations. Looking at the projected earnings:
1613986683596.png
One batch of my blueberries are sitting at around 9% PA return at the moment. The other at just under 4%. Not ideal, but not far off at the same time. Things will only ramp up from the 4th year, so yeah, no regrets from my side.

I do feel like the solar panels are a better investment. The returns feel so much higher, and you get paid out monthly. There are some months where the payout is quite low, but other months are high.

BizarreBroz

Fedgroup should have sent you a "tax pack" explaining what to do. Their doc goes into detail about what you can do and how to do it. I got mine in June last year. If you signed up after Feb last year then I think you'll probably be sent one around the same time.
Yes, they did. I am getting mixed messages though with financial advisors telling me that the tax pack info is only applicable to those who invested in solar. I would just like to hear from somebody who has a blueberry investment and who received a tax break for depreciation. I don't need details re amounts. I would just really love to hear from a blueberry investor who can actually say that yes, they received a tax break. Everyone seems to be so mysterious about this. I know we all have different tax situations etc. but really, if the tax incentive is real, I would just like to know.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Yes, they did. I am getting mixed messages though with financial advisors telling me that the tax pack info is only applicable to those who invested in solar. I would just like to hear from somebody who has a blueberry investment and who received a tax break for depreciation. I don't need details re amounts. I would just really love to hear from a blueberry investor who can actually say that yes, they received a tax break. Everyone seems to be so mysterious about this. I know we all have different tax situations etc. but really, if the tax incentive is real, I would just like to know.
I suppose I can say yes, I am one. However, I purposely didn't give advice because I don't know what the reason was for my rebate. I got a lot more from SARS than I expected. If they could have given some sort of breakdown to help me make sense of it, I would have shared. I think last year I claimed for both my solar panels and blueberries, and I paid a lot more for the panels so I suppose that was doing the heavy lifting.

BizarreBroz

I also feel like the returns are a bit meh, but I think you need to manage expectations. Looking at the projected earnings:
View attachment 1024388
One batch of my blueberries are sitting at around 9% PA return at the moment. The other at just under 4%. Not ideal, but not far off at the same time. Things will only ramp up from the 4th year, so yeah, no regrets from my side.

I do feel like the solar panels are a better investment. The returns feel so much higher, and you get paid out monthly. There are some months where the payout is quite low, but other months are high.
My concern around this is not at all that I only get payouts twice per year. It's that the December payout was so low compared to the previous year even though the blueberry crops were through the roof for SA during the same period. I got much less out this year than I did last year. Payouts are supposed to increase gradually every year. I fully accept that this increase may only be a fraction of a percentage from one payout to the next but it's a bit disappointing that it went into a minus compared to the previous year. I mean, did my blueberry bushes get smaller? I doubt it. I would simply like to understand.

BizarreBroz

I suppose I can say yes, I am one. However, I purposely didn't give advice because I don't know what the reason was for my rebate. I got a lot more from SARS than I expected. If they could have given some sort of breakdown to help me make sense of it, I would have shared. I think last year I claimed for both my solar panels and blueberries, and I paid a lot more for the panels so I suppose that was doing the heavy lifting

BizarreBroz

I suppose I can say yes, I am one. However, I purposely didn't give advice because I don't know what the reason was for my rebate. I got a lot more from SARS than I expected. If they could have given some sort of breakdown to help me make sense of it, I would have shared. I think last year I claimed for both my solar panels and blueberries, and I paid a lot more for the panels so I suppose that was doing the heavy lifting.
The rebate confirmation letter will set out your exact taxes and reasons for returns. I don't know...I guess most ppl generally don't have enough invested in blueberries to really care about the rebate.

mr_norris

Expert Member
My concern around this is not at all that I only get payouts twice per year. It's that the December payout was so low compared to the previous year even though the blueberry crops were through the roof for SA during the same period. I got much less out this year than I did last year. Payouts are supposed to increase gradually every year. I fully accept that this increase may only be a fraction of a percentage from one payout to the next but it's a bit disappointing that it went into a minus compared to the previous year. I mean, did my blueberry bushes get smaller? I doubt it. I would simply like to understand.
I get your frustration. Perhaps this from the statement around then explains things?
Good news for our blueberry investors! The harvesting period for
blueberries has begun and our farmers are already hard at work
but, due to unseasonably cold weather conditions during June
and July, the yield is likely to be smaller than anticipated. Due
to a smaller yield, returns for this quarter are likely to be lower
than initially forecast. Your returns will be allocated to your
Fedgroup Wallet, which you can access via the App, in
January 2021, once harvesting has been completed and the
blueberries have been packed and shipped to their final
destinations.
Might be best to query with them though.

BizarreBroz

I get your frustration. Perhaps this from the statement around then explains things?

Might be best to query with them though.
Yeah the weird part is that Fedgroup refers to smaller harvests, yet the entire media has been reporting what a great year it was.for blueberries in South Africa. Something doesn't add up. I did ask Fedgroup directly and, not surprising, I received no answer. Nothing, zilch, zero.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Two new farming methods in their investment bouquet:

1. Moringa trees - 3 year investment term
2. Macadamia trees - 8 year investment term

Shayd

Expert Member
Hey folks. So been looking at impact farming and the solar panels.

What seems to be the general consensus here? What has worked out as the better of the options provided?

mervman

Hey folks. So been looking at impact farming and the solar panels.

What seems to be the general consensus here? What has worked out as the better of the options provided?
Been invested since 2019.
Berries are showing 8% returns
Solar panels 4% for one site and 7% for another
Honey 4%

Hoping the returns ramp up from here as they suggested it would.

neoprema

Executive Member
The returns i'm getting from blueberry bushes in year 3 are nowhere near what they promised. Of course they'll blame COVID. Whether it is or not i don't know.