• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Does this router not have 100Mb ports? How do you get 362Mbps if the server is plugged into a 100Mbps port? Or is the server also connected wireless?

Very nice routers, a friend got one but you can't get more than 10MB/s copy speed from wifi to anything plugged into the ports as it's only 100Mb ports
The AC6 does not have gigabit, the AC9 that I have does, so it's server connected to a gigabit switch, the gigabit switch connected to the router all via Ethernet and my S8 connected via wireless AC.

If I stream 4K content to my phone it peaks at 400-420Mbps for the initial buffer but averages around 360Mbps, this on a router that cost me R650.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
The AC6 does not have gigabit, the AC9 that I have does, so it's server connected to a gigabit switch, the gigabit switch connected to the router all via Ethernet and my S8 connected via wireless AC.

If I stream 4K content to my phone it peaks at 400-420Mbps for the initial buffer but averages around 360Mbps, this on a router that cost me R650.
Nice!

leonb

Has anyone done or read about a comparison between the AC6 and AC9 in terms of range?

I would like to have Gigabit lan connection, but also dont want to sacrifice the wifi range ( 2vs 4 antennas).

viishrugged

I just want to add to this discussion.

I bought a Tenda AC6 over the weekend based on the recommendations in this thread. I mounted it upside down on my roof with the antennas pointing down.

I have never had wifi signal this good in my house. It is really amazing value for money at this price. I have a Mikrotik that manages my network and the Tenda is in AP mode.

I would highly recommend this thing to anyone who wants a strong wifi AP in their house at a fraction of the cost.

+1

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Has anyone done or read about a comparison between the AC6 and AC9 in terms of range?

I would like to have Gigabit lan connection, but also dont want to sacrifice the wifi range ( 2vs 4 antennas).
Obviously there is no way of knowing the specific layouts of each others houses but from what me and martin discussed it sounds like the range is pretty much the same, also see this:

Not the Beamforming+ or Transmit Power.

The AC9 has additional chips namely the Skyworks SKY85728-11 5GHz Power Amplifier and Skyworks SE2576L 2.4GHz Power Amplifier.

No such chips are listed for the AC6 but from our experiences being very similar I think the more antennas without the power amplifiers performs very similar to the less antennas with the power amplifiers, I think if you were to put them side to side and test in the same conditions their Wi-Fi range and throughput would be almost identical.

For the vast majority the AC6 would be a major upgrade, it's all about Wi-Fi these days with, their target demographic will use smartphones, tablets and laptops, they wouldn't know or care about the 100Mbps Ethernet.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I see the AC9 I have has been discontinued and replaced with the AC10, it has four 5dBi antennas instead of two 3dBi antennas.

It seems to have just launched as the firmware date is 19/01/2018, if it's around the R800 mark it's going to be a must buy for anyone looking for a router.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
I see the AC9 I have has been discontinued and replaced with the AC10, it has four 5dBi antennas instead of two 3dBi antennas.

It seems to have just launched as the firmware date is 19/01/2018, if it's around the R800 mark it's going to be a must buy for anyone looking for a router.
Following up in this thread. I had a quick look for the Ac6 but I don't see any stock at scoop.co.za. Would the AC be a better replacement then? (but I'm assuming not available at all yet)

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Following up in this thread. I had a quick look for the Ac6 but I don't see any stock at scoop.co.za. Would the AC be a better replacement then? (but I'm assuming not available at all yet)
I don't see stock anywhere.

Everyone is probably waiting for stock to arrive, I would assume Scoop ordered some AC10s to come in.

Maybe email them and ask.

capd

Hi

Bought this router for 5ghz to handle wifi and connect to my older Dlink wifi modem. usually I would just set up wifi on the router and connect a cable from network port to modem, but I think I am missing a setting in the Tenda settings because the connection seems to drop. Im not using the wan port.

Please could anyone give me instructions?

Thanks

PDF_27

Got this router on the recommendation from SoulAssasin and I must say it's very impressive especially in relation to the cost. It's signal strength is super strong and has a long range. Very impressed.

access

Executive Member
these things are basic devices with nice high output power/antenna gain. if thats all you need and youre tight on budget, get them. havent heard of many problems for their use.