Female to 2 male USB switch


Well-Known Member
Mar 6, 2009
I've been looking for something like this for a while, but can't find anything. I want a USB Type A (2.0 or 3.0) switch that has a female input and splits into 2 male outputs. The device should have a switch, changing the current output.

I want to use this for a device that I want to connect to 2 different computers at the same time. I don't want to plug out the device from one PC and into another every time I want to use it on a different PC. I simply want to press a switch to change the flow to a different male output.

Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing (preferably within SA)? Since this is a very simple device, it shouldn't be too expensive. I also don't want a KVM switch that has VGA, etc on it. I simply want a female USB cable splitting into 2 (or more) male outputs which can be changed by pressing a switch.


King of de Jungle
Mar 17, 2005
sorry, no such thing. KVM switch is the best you can do.


Expert Member
Nov 22, 2014
I am looking for exactly the same cable, but for a different application. I want use external 2.5" HDDs as a boot devices for two of my Raspberry Pis (tired of cheapy SD cards bombing out on me). Both draw over 1000mA and the USB 2.0 ports are rated at half that, so doubling up on the ports should give enough juice. I am aware of using max_usb_current=1, but it does not work for me (RPI 3B with a 2550mA PSU, Toshiba MQ01ADB100 & Kingston V200 SSD). I am also aware that I can use a powered hub, but it's a clunky solution (yet another device taking up space and a power socket in my rack, and pretty inefficient).

I used to have one that came with a cheap USB power bank (to support a faster charging rate), but must have left it in a hotel room somewhere in Europe. I have searched a number of retailers, but cannot find one. I'm at the point where I'm aboutto make up my own, so this thread necro is a last-ditch attempt before doing so.

Does anyone know where can get a MMF USB Y cable?