Few questions I need answered

Iamnotageek

Hey guys,

This post is aimed at all the RAIN LTE "vets" who have been using the service for a long time. I want to go from Telkom Mobile to RAIN, hence the questions.

My location:

Goodwood, Cape Town ( I am covered, I checked )

I don't see a support contact number for RAIN. What happens if I need tech support? ( Offline or bad latency or failed SIM delivery etc )

I want to go for that R250 option. Do I get billed pro-rata or is my first bill pro-rata PLUS the next months amount?

I will be using the SIM in my phone that is NOT LTE capable. ( It's that H+ icon thingy at the top of the phone by the reception ). Can I still use RAIN SIM in my phone?

I'm obviously going to get a LTE router thingy. That B3315 or whatever. Is this ok to use for good latency?

I'll be using this SIM for gaming ( LOTRO MMO which runs fine on a 2MB line speed ), surfing the net, e-mail's etc etc. Basic online gaming, nothing like Dota 2 that requires good ping. Will RAIN be ok for my needs?

Thank you gentlemen

Geselskap

Hey guys,

This post is aimed at all the RAIN LTE "vets" who have been using the service for a long time. I want to go from Telkom Mobile to RAIN, hence the questions.

I want to go for that R250 option. Do I get billed pro-rata or is my first bill pro-rata PLUS the next months amount?
Hi,

I'll answer your billing question based on my experience.

I joined when they offered 14 days of unlimited data. This has now been reduced to 7. Should you activate the UNLIMITED OFF PEAK when placing your SIM card order, you will then be billed pro-rata for this from the period after the 7 unlimited data days finish, until the end of the first month calendar month.

You will then also be billed for your peak hours use as you will be unable to set a SPEND LIMIT to just cover the pro-rate use of UNLIMITED OFF PEAK for this first month. You will be able set a minimum SPEND LIMIT of R250 per sim card & peak will be active for this first month. YOU WILL ACTIVELY NEED TO DISABLE/TURN-OFF your physical device in order to not use data during peak & be billed accordingly until your minimum SPEND LIMIT of R250 will be reached, which is when you will then automatically be limited to not be able to use peak data during this first month of use.

You will not be billed in advance for the next month's UNLIMITED OFF PEAK (R250). It gets billed in arrears along with any peak usage.

Maximum billed amount at the end of first calendar month will equal whatever you SPEND LIMIT is set too, if you do not actively disable/limit-turn-off your connection during peak.

Dillon7769

Tried out my rain SIM on my phone and router I seem to be getting much better download speeds on my phone! Anyone else have this issue ?

Chad_29

I'm only in my second week now but I can answer the last 3 paragraphs.

Rain is not backwards compatible, it's strictly 4G only meaning it will not work in your phone.

I recently bought a B315 and I'm getting OK speeds (peaks around 8Mbps-14Mbps). I can't answer you about online gaming and latency but for general use it's perfectly fine. And if your speeds aren't great there's a tool here to possibly increase its speed by changing the band it runs on.

Dillon7769

I'm only in my second week now but I can answer the last 3 paragraphs.

Rain is not backwards compatible, it's strictly 4G only meaning it will not work in your phone.

I recently bought a B315 and I'm getting OK speeds (peaks around 8Mbps-14Mbps). I can't answer you about online gaming and latency but for general use it's perfectly fine. And if your speeds aren't great there's a tool here to possibly increase its speed by changing the band it runs on.
Have you tried it out on a 4G phone?

Dillon7769

Up to 10Mbps at best. But it's an older budget phone so that might also be a factor. With my B315 I'm getting up to 16Mbps download speeds, sometimes more at night (after 11).
My phone so far maxed out at around 72mbps I'm using Moto z. My router goes up to 43 or so at best both depends on placement. I'm using the b618 router.... expected the router to have better speeds.

Chad_29

My phone so far maxed out at around 72mbps I'm using Moto z. My router goes up to 43 or so at best both depends on placement. I'm using the b618 router.... expected the router to have better speeds.
Damn those are good speeds. Have you tried moving the router around the house? Finding that sweet spot definitely increased my speeds.