FFS, why can't they just hurry up and tell us!

Gazer

Expert Member
Melamine found in SA food

Johannesburg - Only one out of 19 foodstuffs tested by the National Consumer Forum contained traces of the chemical melamine, the SABC reported on Thursday.

"There has been one positive result. The levels are not that high but we need to speak to the company concerned and discuss the results with them first before we can make this information public," said NCF head Thami Bulani.

"I can assure consumers in this country they have nothing to worry about."

Tests were conducted in a Cape Town laboratory on various sweets, chocolates and cereal.

Earlier this year, the presence of melamine in Chinese-manufactured dairy products was blamed for a number of infant deaths and illness.

Melamine is an industrial chemical used to make plastics and glues. It was added to watered-down diary products to boost their protein content.

- Sapa

http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/default/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-1786_2415189

We may all be feeding our families this food and unknowingly poisoning them! :mad:

thedutchman

Expert Member
oh for crying out loud, this melamine, this piece of junk, why cant they just take it of the shelves, cut their loses and move on ?? they are all going to kill us with that

phiber

Expert Member
They don't release what brand it is. Even in china they told the people what milk it was!!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Why are they so vague? It says that "Melamine by itself is nontoxic in low doses, but when combined with cyanuric acid it can cause fatal kidney stones". So this hype about melamine is BS. Just let us know soon as they combine it with cyanuric acid OK ?

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Why are they so vague? It says that "Melamine by itself is nontoxic in low doses, but when combined with cyanuric acid it can cause fatal kidney stones". So this hype about melamine is BS. Just let us know soon as they combine it with cyanuric acid OK ?
Just don't drink your pool water if your pool is "on the pill". ;)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Probably because it is a very widespread brand. My guess is Nestle.

Let the Betting begin! :D

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
The amount in a chocolate is so small that it would take years to do damage... the only reason those kids died was because they drank litres of the stuff.

DJ...

Banned
When I first read this I thought they were referring to melanin! :eek: Thought to myself "No, what on earth are the ANC up to now? That's just taking it too far".

Then I spotted it was in Chinese food only and recalled them recently receiving BEE status - this article began to clear things up for me. :D

I see my error now and the article makes a little more sense...:eek:

DJ...

Banned
Quick PSA - Melamine and condensed milk

Just a quick heads up to those condensed milk fans out there:

Melamine has been found in Nestle branded condensed milk according to a very reliable source. I am not sure if it is the only brand responsible, however it is sometimes better to be safe than sorry, especially if you have young kids. I now that there are many companies who make sweets for kids using condensed milk and there are also the squeeze tubes out there so rather er on the side of caution and avoid condensed milk and products made using condensed milk, for now.

;)

Peder

Hobbit
So looks like i should make my own condensed milk next time. i just nearly used condensed milk from nestle yesterday, we bought it last week, do you think it will have melamine in?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
So looks like i should make my own condensed milk next time. i just nearly used condensed milk from nestle yesterday, we bought it last week, do you think it will have melamine in?
It depends, are there cyanuric acid present ? Melamine on its own is like a bullet, sure you can eat it if you want, just don't eat a gun along with it.

DJ...

Banned
Yes, it probably does. I am not an authority on this subject at all, but after testing at the National Consumer Forum, it was confirmed that Nestle condensed milk contains melamine. Peder, call Nestle and explain to them that you would like a refund, because you believe their condensed milk contains melamine which is harmful to you. Post their response...

DJ...

Banned
It depends, are there cyanuric acid present ?
What does cyanuric acid taste like? Unless peder has a chemistry set, I doubt he will be able to tell.

It is the responsibility of Nestle and other companies to ensure that there is no risk in the first place. They wouldn't sell live bullets with their condensed milk, regardless of the fact that the gun is sold separately. Likewise, they shouldn't be selling products with melamine on the same principle...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What does cyanuric acid taste like? Unless peder has a chemistry set, I doubt he will be able to tell.

It is the responsibility of Nestle and other companies to ensure that there is no risk in the first place. They wouldn't sell live bullets with their condensed milk, regardless of the fact that the gun is sold separately. Likewise, they shouldn't be selling products with melamine on the same principle...
Trust me, they are ensuring that no cyanuric acid is added to it, so they are safe.

is it only in the Condensed milk and not ideal milk?
Ideally not hey ? :p