Fiber, can I choose which room the ONT goes in?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hi there, getting fiber installed sometime this week.

Scratching my head over this one, I really would prefer the fiber installed in my room, which is at the back of the house, but how can I tell if they're willing to do this.

At my previous house they installed it to the room closest to the road, which luckily was my room as well.

But now, the closest room to my street is my kitchen and bathroom. Idk its a weirdly built house. It's a long house, not a wide house.

Unless I run a cable from the kitchen to my room, but that's a fat mission.

Quintrix

Depends who you with but in our area Metrofibre used 50m tails on the install. So that covered the distance from the connection point outside on pavement to the remote side of my property through the entire length of the roof. Trenching was about 12 - 13meters

powermzii

Expert Member

Scratching my head over this one, I really would prefer the fiber installed in my room, which is at the back of the house, but how can I tell if they're willing to do this.

At my previous house they installed it to the room closest to the road, which luckily was my room as well.

But now, the closest room to my street is my kitchen and bathroom. Idk its a weirdly built house. It's a long house, not a wide house.

Depending on the FNO they will install X meters free from the road and put it in the closes room to that. Some are more lenient that others

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Openserve didn't give me a limit (aerial).. we have a fairly big yard and I wanted the ONT it at a very specific place in the house and they did it without any issues. They easily used about 60 - 70 metres of cable. Free installation.

axsis

Provided your house has decent electrical wiring, you can pick up powerline adapters instead of running a long cable.

Apogee

Provided your house has decent electrical wiring, you can pick up powerline adapters instead of running a long cable.
I am currently sitting with top-end Powerline adapters from both TP-Link and Tenda, and I learned the hard way there is a reason why it didn't take off.

They are too unstable to be taken seriously.

I suggested that for a client recently, and while testing it I could not understand why the speeds dropped from 100Mb/s to 5Mb/s on the other end of the house all of a sudden.

Turns out the client was drying biltong, and as soon as he switched on the machine, the speeds nosedived. :laugh:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I am pretty sure they will be reasonable according to your attitude when the techies arrive to install. 1st rule is make them welcome at home when they get there, offer them coffee etc

GreatWmR

Expert Member
The installers from Openserve said i can have our ONT anywhere in the house, they never told me a limit or anything

Affieplaas

Vumatel did my ONT installation (via a subcontractor). I had them lift up paving in my driveway, run 30 meter ethernet cables through my ceiling and re-purpose an old in-wall conduit which was used for a Telkom landline all at their cost. They had a professional paving company come to repair the driveway paving afterwards.

I think you can push them quite far.

axsis

I am currently sitting with top-end Powerline adapters from both TP-Link and Tenda, and I learned the hard way there is a reason why it didn't take off.

They are too unstable to be taken seriously.

I suggested that for a client recently, and while testing it I could not understand why the speeds dropped from 100Mb/s to 5Mb/s on the other end of the house all of a sudden.

Turns out the client was drying biltong, and as soon as he switched on the machine, the speeds nosedived. :laugh:
That's somewhat amusing. I've never had an issue and been using various ones since I found out about them. I've also never bothered to dry biltong so I guess I'm an exception. :D

Now I'm curious to test if things drop when using appliances. :D. Sadly will have to wait for fiber install at new place.

Apogee

That's somewhat amusing. I've never had an issue and been using various ones since I found out about them. I've also never bothered to dry biltong so I guess I'm an exception. :D

Now I'm curious to test if things drop when using appliances. :D. Sadly will have to wait for fiber install at new place.
Yes, basically any device plugged into the electric circuit can possibly introduce noise, which will greatly affect the speed.

At my own place the transformer of the charger for the alarm system turned out to be the culprit.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Vumatel did my ONT installation (via a subcontractor). I had them lift up paving in my driveway, run 30 meter ethernet cables through my ceiling and re-purpose an old in-wall conduit which was used for a Telkom landline all at their cost. They had a professional paving company come to repair the driveway paving afterwards.

I think you can push them quite far.
Holy ****.

That's incredible.