Fibre companies are being charged an arm and a leg by municipalities

Hummercellc

Expert Member
And I bet, if you look close enough, Telkom just lay fibre without permission.
Sighting, they already have existing copper wayleaves which are being reused.
Which in some cases is true and others not....

Swa

Honorary Master
That is only one half of the equation. What these providers don't tell you is that it's mainly a deposit and they get it back when they don't damage anything. In any other industry that would be called fraud. Seeing how Vumatel works I also don't blame the munis for hiking prices as they hit multiple pipes and cables in our area.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Wayleaves must be reasonable here in PE because they're trenching everywhere... except where I live, but that's par for the course.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
That is only one half of the equation. What these providers don't tell you is that it's mainly a deposit and they get it back when they don't damage anything. In any other industry that would be called fraud. Seeing how Vumatel works I also don't blame the munis for hiking prices as they hit multiple pipes and cables in our area.

If that is the case then no sympathy from me. Seeing as they probably use this as part reason why their prices aren't coming down as quickly as we'd hoped.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Aerial fibre FTW. Though heard about some communities even blocking them

system32

Expert Member
Aerial fibre FTW. Though heard about some communities even blocking them
You still need wayleaves and you still need to pay.

"The delay of Rapid Deployment Regulations, which are now 14 years late" needs to be implemented ASAP.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I can tell you that the City of Cape Town has endless issues trenching in busy areas.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
You still need wayleaves and you still need to pay.

"The delay of Rapid Deployment Regulations, which are now 14 years late" needs to be implemented ASAP.
Yeah I remember I was still in High School when Telkom started advertising their Next Gen Fibre Optic network

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms

actual figures for a metro below showing increase over last 3 years
unfortunately refundable deposits are simply not refunded by some municipalities
fair to say there are issues on both sides

1564122450821.png

Swa

Honorary Master
actual figures for a metro below showing increase over last 3 years
unfortunately refundable deposits are simply not refunded by some municipalities
fair to say there are issues on both sides

View attachment 688763
While it may be excessive and we need better regulation around it it's still only a fraction of the cost. If deposits aren't being refunded they should be taken to court.