Fibre companies must work together – DFA CEO

CeeBee

Expert Member
makes sense they should work together to reduce costs passed to end user.
a few streets from my home, on main road, a few companies put in fiber... first company came, dug up left side of the road, all the people's driveways, put fiber.
few weeks later, different company, dug up the righthand side of the road, put fiber.
unbelievably, few months later yet another company came to put fiber... only space is on poles where the Telkom phone lines used to go.
begs the question why not all 3 use the same route the first company made, if not share the fiber and conduit, at least use the same dug open route.
perhaps cheaper to open whole new route, than take risks with opening again.
still planning....
the costs that could have been saved

Swa

Honorary Master
They should. You can't search for which fibre companies are in your area. You should be able to just go with one and they should be able to operate in your area.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
makes sense they should work together to reduce costs passed to end user.
a few streets from my home, on main road, a few companies put in fiber... first company came, dug up left side of the road, all the people's driveways, put fiber.
few weeks later, different company, dug up the righthand side of the road, put fiber.
unbelievably, few months later yet another company came to put fiber... only space is on poles where the Telkom phone lines used to go.
begs the question why not all 3 use the same route the first company made, if not share the fiber and conduit, at least use the same dug open route.
perhaps cheaper to open whole new route, than take risks with opening again.
still planning....
the costs that could have been saved
I keep asking this, yet don't get a reply. Also have/had 3 companies digging.
Should be a rule implemented that the first one to trench must add large enough ducting for at least 2 other providers and then those providers can later pay to be allowed to pull fiber through.

ponder

Honorary Master
Should be a rule implemented that the first one to trench must add large enough ducting for at least 2 other providers and then those providers can later pay to be allowed to pull fiber through.
So I must do all the work/risk for your sorry entitled ass?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So I must do all the work/risk for your sorry entitled ass?
Adding large ducting is a lot of "risk"...
You could even charge the cost of the trenching for each person, paying off/reducing the cost of the infrastructure.
And I love the "entitled".

ponder

Honorary Master
Adding large ducting is a lot of "risk"...
You could even charge the cost of the trenching for each person, paying off/reducing the cost of the infrastructure.
And I love the "entitled".
Their are issues involved here from a legal, maintenance etc point.

When they trenched in ballito about six different coloured conduits went into the ground, each colour for a different company. So companies do share the trenching costs but they all want their own infrastructure. Weird thing out of all that saturation openserve has the widest coverage.

Swa

Honorary Master

When they trenched in ballito about six different coloured conduits went into the ground, each colour for a different company. So companies do share the trenching costs but they all want their own infrastructure. Weird thing out of all that saturation openserve has the widest coverage.
There's only so much trenching you can do. Just like spectrum land isn't an infinite resource so there has to be some compromises and companies sharing. It's not an entitlement issue.

ponder

Honorary Master
There's only so much trenching you can do. Just like spectrum land isn't an infinite resource so there has to be some compromises and companies sharing. It's not an entitlement issue.
Did you bother reading what I wrote? 6 companies put their conduits in the same trench. I other words, one trench was dug and the 6 companies share the cost paying the trenching contractor that dug the hole and lay the individual conduits for their 6 different clients.

Swa

Honorary Master
Did you bother reading what I wrote? 6 companies put their conduits in the same trench. I other words, one trench was dug and the 6 companies share the cost paying the trenching contractor that dug the hole and lay the individual conduits for their 6 different clients.
Which is not a working solution. Companies choose which areas they focus on. It's impossible to share the cost like that unless it's a highly contested area. Trenching is the biggest cost so they all still make up their expenses. A solution I proposed before is that either the municipality in new areas or the first company to trench should have those big 10cm pipes.

I don't know how they know who's pipe is who's as providers don't use specific colours and take what they can get.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member

Also from a safety point of view.

"Let me just quickly open up here and cut my competitions fibre line..."