Fibre goes off 20 minutes after load shedding starts

nabeelm07

Hi guys can someone please help me understand this, I bought an inverter. It runs all the things I need. Anyways load shedding hits and everything works fine but after 20 minutes my fibre internet stops working, the csp and modem still has power but the internet light on my modem goes red and I don’t have internet. I don’t understand how to correct this, is it my isp?is it vuma? Please assist if possible thanks !

Suspect99

Expert Member
The exchanges battery backup only has 20min of power then it runs out. Vuma need to upgrade their batteries

The Voice

Executive Member
In the case of UPS and backup battery systems, a lot of people still don't know what their purpose really is.

It's not a case of "oh ****, the power went out - but we've still got 20mins of backup power, game on!", but rather "oh ****, the power went out - let's start powering down everything safely in the next 20mins so that when the power source comes back on later, everything isn't taken out by the sudden surge of electricity".

While this is best practice for businesses in the event of a power outage, I can only guess it applies to ISPs, too, probably remotely shutting all sensitive equipment down before the backup power goes out.

Last edited:
In the case of UPS and backup battery systems, a lot of people still don't know what their purpose really is.

It's not a case of "oh ****, the power went out - but we've still got 20mins of backup power, game on!", but rather "oh ****, the power went out - let's start powering down everything safely in the next 20mins so that when the power source comes back on later, everything isn't taken out by the sudden surge of electricity".

While this is best practice for businesses in the event of a power outage, I can only guess it applies to ISPs, too, probably remotely shutting all sensitive equipment down before the backup power goes out.
Actually for critical stuff like infrastructure the UPS should only need to last long enough for the generator to kick in :D

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
My line takes up to 30 minutes to come back online after loadshedding. I'm suspecting Vuma didn't install any form of backup power, which means me buying some form of backup power for my ONT and router is pretty much pointless.

garp

Executive Member
This will become more common the longer load shedding goes on. Inverter batteries need much more time to charge than discharge, and if the load shedding is too frequent they will battle to keep up. The same applies to generators - they obviously need refuelling.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

The Voice

Executive Member
Actually for critical stuff like infrastructure the UPS should only need to last long enough for the generator to kick in :D
You're assuming that all exchanges have generators, which is a long shot. Even then, with the frequency they'd have to run at, maintenance schedules would have to be increased, which increases costs, etc. It's cheaper to not have them and just hope people follow protocol I guess.

I worked for a small MSP in SA whose HO went down during load shedding because (lol) no-one had topped up the generator after the last period of load shedding. Was a total disaster, because the mains ran through the generator, which had burnt out, so had to get electricians in over the weekend to try and bypass it so that the office could have power when load shedding was over.

You're assuming that all exchanges have generators, which is a long shot. Even then, with the frequency they'd have to run at, maintenance schedules would have to be increased, which increases costs, etc. It's cheaper to not have them and just hope people follow protocol I guess.
More like hoping rather than assuming anything, then again Vumatel trenched in Cape Town and so far even with the aggressive load shedding the internet is running fine.

surface

Expert Member
Cell C LTE in our area stops working the moment power goes. Same with Vodacom LTE. I reckon it is same story with most of the fibre networks and ADSL. Is it worth buying UPS for ONT & router at all?

p.s. I kid you not - I mean of all the providers, Telkom mobile works during loadshedding? Our domestic has a Telkom mobile and Telkom LTE always works in her opinion. I am going to check it out in next outage.