Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
So when I last made a thread about this, I was told by my contacts at the Kouga Municipality that there was going to be a fibre build in Jeffreys Bay, and that it already had municipal approval pending some details being worked out. Trenching began last year December, but the people I spoke to at the company doing the installation of the backhaul said that it was for Vodacom. Secretly, they were also laying and blasting through fibre optics for a local network by Igen.

Previous thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/jeffreys-bay-is-getting-fibred-up.971121/

Advertisment:

jbay fibre igen.jpg

They're targeting complexes and malls first, and they'll move to residential installations later on once those complexes are wired up. Presumably schools as well.

The network is sparse for the moment, but it reaches all the way to Paradise Beach, and there are fibre runs down Da Gama, by the Bowls Greens, Wavecrest, and Koraal Street. A second cable run is going through Nautilus to serve C-Place, but this line is also special. It connects up Igen's DC, which will be co-locating with Telkom in their premises.

Wesley Fick - C-Place.PNG

Whether they're buying out that property or not is up in the air. This is still a profitable location for Telkom, but all the copper is old and they're at least five years away from moving to VDSL because of the rats nest of wires at every breakout box. Telkom might decide to not invest in the area and instead let other fibre providers and WISPs pick up the slack, so unless another fibre provider rolls in Igen will be the only game in town.

I'm not affiliated with Igen. However, if you or someone you know lives in Jeffreys Bay and wants to get fibre, send your GPS location to the email address in the advert and they'll add it to a database to figure out where to roll the service out first. If you're nearby to a complex, chances are high that whenever they get fibre that you'll be able to sign up for an install as well.

As far as timeframes go, Igen is looking to complete their first complex installations this year, and will start with residential installations soon after. 2020 seems likely, and they have full co-operation with Kouga Municipality as well.

Last edited:

georgelza

... closest complex to us is the retirement home in Wavecrest and don't see them being a big focus for anyone.

looks like i'm screwed for a long time still.

G

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
The one that's all the way to the end of Seetuin? There's a fibre run to there already, IIRC. I've seen Igen vans surveying the area and other parts of JBay for the install locations of their FTTC boxes.

Send them a mail with your address and see how far off the backbone you are.

georgelza

I"m in Waxtree, they know of me, spoke to the Igen girl a while back already when they FB posted a add stating they're putting fiber down to Complexes.

G

avk

Would also not mind hearing a bit more about what's going on.

Was assuming the fibre was more for backbone services between Telkom's existing places.

Then, a few months ago I noticed two guys walking up and down my street with one of those wheeled contraptions made for measuring distance, and then marking the road with blue paint. Weird.

Then a few weeks after that I received a letter in my mailbox iGen stating that they will be trenching along our pavements, and replacing everything once they are done. Oh happy days!!!

I see they are currently busy in Snowdrop. above where it intersects with Magnolia. That's VERY close to me...so I'm cautiously optimistic...wouldn't mind more information about what their planned dates, coverage, etc. was...

georgelza

last I heard they were busy in Wavecrest, just sadly not my street, speak to Jackie at iGen, 2-3 weeks ago she was waiting for final pricing.
G

avk

last I heard they were busy in Wavecrest, just sadly not my street, speak to Jackie at iGen, 2-3 weeks ago she was waiting for final pricing.
G

Cool. I'll maybe contact them in a while. If you hear anything, post here. :) I'm assuming that you will HAVE to make use of iGen as an ISP? Or will you be able to e.g. use on of the options from Afrihost?

Attached photos of what they are busy with a few streets away from me...hope they are headed my way. The fact that they actually measured and marked in my street, and delivered a letter makes me hopeful...

Image200001.jpg

Image200002.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-03 at 09.03.49.jpeg

avk

Thanks for that update!

Even if it takes a while...I am happy to be moving in the right direction. Never in a million years thought that we could be getting fibre so soon!

I just hope that they keep their prices at a reasonable level.

georgelza

thanks for the update.
sadly though I'm in wavecrest we have not been assigned a work package, or schedule on when we will be trenched... :( but at least there is movement.
I'd really hope their pricing is close/in line with someone like CISP, just pay for speed, uncapped, unsnapped, if they want to get with how things should be done.
G

avk

They are edging their way closer to my street, only two streets away now....saw over the weekend that there are white arrows painted on the road, pointing down from where they are currently busy (Blackwood) towards and onto my street (Camphor Tree). Cautiously optimistic...

avk

Pricing is going to play a major role in my choice. I am quite content with my 4MB ADSL line for now. Touch wood...haven't had any issues really. A 10MB line isn't really necessary for what I do.

So for me to make the move, they will have to come in at a price point which is equal to (or not much more) ar at least competitive, to what I am paying currently for Telkom line rental, ADSL line rental and data package....

And then of course installation cost....

Last edited:

eddief1

Expert Member
This is very good news for the area, nice to see someone showing initiative. Will probably backhaul to PE via openserv

georgelza

I'd like to see pricing of 20/10 and 40/20 uncapped comparative to a CISP pricing, that pretty much in my world the leaders atm,
G

avk

Driving around this past weekend, I noticed microtrenching going on near the NG Kerk/Victory School area. This is on Blackwood and Fevertree, and trenching was already completed on Olienhout street. This fibre is fed by the ring that was dug and set up on Seetuin road earlier this year.

Jip. My place is not too far from where you took that pic.

Up to now I must say that they have been keeping it really neat. I hope they do that with my place as well, as I have a very wide driveway...which I spent quite a few bucks not too long ago...

Ran into the mayor on Friday, and he said that apparently once they are done in JBay, they will be moving to Humansdorp with the fibre install as well.

avk

Yup, he told me that was the case last year when I enquired about it. The fibre is actually already terminated there. As you enter Humansdorp, on your left you'll see the familar orange netting at the 3-way stop there. I presume that's Dark Fibre or Telkom's backbone, because Igen didn't do any trenching in that area to run fibre there.

Cool. Would be awesome to have that soon, I work in HDorp, and a nice fast fibre connection will be amazing there....

Just got home, and they are busy trenching up my pavement in front of the house. Will post a pic or two when I get round to it. :)