Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen

avk

I'll be popping in to their offices as soon as possible, as my address falls in the area they've indicated as being live. Will post on here after that. I'm only getting the 10MB line, as realistically I don't need anything more than that. :)

avk

Got the below info on the Whatsapp group formed by iGen for Wavecrest to keep us updated. I'm sure it will be OK to post here? As it was posted on what amounts to a public WA group? Anyway, if anyone objects, I can take it down.

Blue shaded area is where fibre is live. Yellow is next section projected to go live.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Update: Fibre has now been trenched on the other side of Da Gama road by the Caravan Park. This runs alongside the fibre that Yonke Installations trenched for Vodacom years ago.

Igen Fibre Da Gama 20 Jan 2020.jpg

Igen Fibre Da Gama 20 Jan 2020-1.jpg

Igen Fibre Da Gama 20 Jan 2020-3.jpg

Cactus

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for CPlace? My parents live in CPlace, would it awesome if they could get Fibre

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Out of curiosity, are there any plans for CPlace? My parents live in CPlace, would it awesome if they could get Fibre
Igen has a little holding ground that they set up in C-Place next to the DSL exchange, and there are definitely plans for fibre here in C-Place. Part of the backbone on Nautilus Street is also completed and connected as well.

But I don't think there will be fibre in this part of J-Bay until Q4 2020, at the earliest.

avk

So just got the contract sent to me. I see the prices and FUPs have been updated/changed since the last one I saw (which of course was a draft document). Where the entry level 10MB line was R699 (75GB FUP down to 4MB) it is now R499 (70GB FUP down to 2.5MB). The FUP thresholds for the faster lines have also been made larger (they were all 75GB on the previous one).

I'll try and post a screenshot of the lines later. I assume I'm allowed to do that??

All in all, I'm quite happy with that. The entry-level 10MB at R499 will work perfectly for me. I very rarely run more than 70GB in one week, and 10MB is enough for me. Can always upgrade later if needed.... :)

Now just need to get this contract in so I can say CHEERS to certain other national "service" providers. ;)

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
That's an interesting twist. The current line offerings that I know of look like this:

igen fibre prices 2019.png

And the document I have is the actual sign-up sheet. At R499, the 10Mbps Silver option would be outstanding value. I know Igen's management has seen this thread, so hopefully before it was cleared out they took in the criticism I had for them at the time.

I'll try and post a screenshot of the lines later. I assume I'm allowed to do that??
Do it! None of that stuff is confidential. Put up the whole thing here as a PDF.

And document your installation when they start!

avk

That's an interesting twist. The current line offerings that I know of look like this:

And the document I have is the actual sign-up sheet. At R499, the 10Mbps Silver option would be outstanding value. I know Igen's management has seen this thread, so hopefully before it was cleared out they took in the criticism I had for them at the time.

Do it! None of that stuff is confidential. Put up the whole thing here as a PDF.

And document your installation when they start!

Jip. Those are the last prices I saw as well, until I received this. Was pleasantly surprised. :)

Unfortunately don't have the full contract application with me, but remembered just now I made a screenshot of the speeds this morning. :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-05 at 12.01.47.jpeg

Reckon this is much better value than the original prices, compared to other ISP's in other locations. I hope they'll be able to start the install super soon. :)

And yes, I'll document what I can, as I will have to be home when they do the install. Now just waiting on their sales rep to get back to me with a timeline as well as final costs for the initial install. Will keep this thread updated as much as possible.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
At least 100 people with Igen vests are installing fibre alongside Da Gama today. They're really going at it to get the business strip, methinks.

Edit: Well, they've solved the "problem" of the Silver accounts being far too good, and now it looks more normal. A pity that 100Mbps is more expensive with more restrictions now. I'll be aiming for 20Mbps Gold when it reaches C-Place.

avk

At least 100 people with Igen vests are installing fibre alongside Da Gama today. They're really going at it to get the business strip, methinks.

Edit: Well, they've solved the "problem" of the Silver accounts being far too good, and now it looks more normal. A pity that 100Mbps is more expensive with more restrictions now. I'll be aiming for 20Mbps Gold when it reaches C-Place.

Haven't been down in town for weeks to see Da Gama. :)

I will be quite happy with the 10MB line @ R499. Compared to my current 4MB capped 100GB ADSL, I am getting more than double the speed, almost 3x the amount of data (if you work in the FUP) at almost R150 less than I currently pay.

So I'll be a happy camper. :)

avk

Just filled in and faxed the initial page of the contract. This was done in order for Igen to send someone out to my place for a site survey. Not really needed I guess for many, and I am doing it (almost) irregardless of the cost. However I just need to know any costs beforehand. :)

Will update if/when I know more.

avk

Attached the full contract for those who are interested. :)

Attachments

• IGEN - Subscriber Agreement V 1.3 - Std (2020_01_24).pdf
    755.8 KB · Views: 26

avk

So, had a technician here this afternoon to do a site survey. Seems that installation won't be a problem. Now just to finish the paperwork, pay the installation fee and then wait... :)

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I had a look at the two agreements - the one posted by avk, and the one I have - and there are no tangible differences that anyone has to be aware of, aside from the price adjustments.

Also, the Port Elizabeth office used to just be for PE, but now 041 365 5411 is the point of contact for Igen in general. That's a nice touch.

Reactions: avk

avk

Now if only someone at IGen would get back to me...kinda sitting here in limbo.

As mentioned, site survey was done on Friday, but no contact since then. Asked on Monday, sent an e-mail again now to their sales consultant. I just want to know what now. Bit of a mission trying to get to their offices during the week, as I don't work in town. Hopefully I'll get an answer today.

avk

And as I posted that, the sales consultant came back to me. :)

So will be sending in the contract ASAP, to get the ball rolling.

avk

Application has been signed and completed. Payment made for installation. E-mailed it now. Sales consultant said that they will usually take 5-10 days to make an appointment for the final install.

Of course this is a bit different than their usual WiFi-type installs, as they will have to lift paving etc. at my place to get the fibre in.

I'll keep this thread updated for future reference as to how long it takes, etc.

avk

Installation scheduled for Friday morning.....

Getting excited now. :)

avk

Well, fibre has been installed.

From site survey to install in 2 weeks. Happy with the install as well, looks neat and well done. They installed a Totolink N600R router which they charged me R600 for in addition to the R1500 installation fee. Everything working perfectly, including my Ubiqiti Unifi AP.

All in all I'm very happy.

Went for the cheapest 10MB line, which I can then upgrade up to 100MB (no FUP) if needed. Happy with the 10MB though for now. Speed test below:

Capture.JPG