Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Herotel IGEN – Posts | Facebook

- -: -

Jeffreys Bay, you will start noticing our Fibre Team in our bright orange vehicles gathering permissions to plant poles at your residence. Fibre poles will also be planted this week within the C-place neighbourhood in , , , , , , , , , .

This week Stringing will commence in , , , . Residence who are in , , , , , , , , , , , you will notice activity in your street, such as trenching and road cuts.

The Project team will be in touch with pole hosts to gain access to their properties for the stringing process, as well as some properties in between in order to string the cable from pole to pole.

Follow us on Facebook for more updates on Hero Fibre network. Please feel free to contact us on 041 365 5411 or sales@igen.herotel.com to pre-order your Hero Fibre Internet package.

- :

1-Poles will be planted in your neighbourhood

2-Fibre cables will be strung from one pole to another

3-Our Fibre technicians will splice the Fibre-optic network cable

4-Once an area is live, our scheduling department will be notified to schedule your Fibre installation.

: "Go Live" dates will be announced as soon as they are available.

Thank you for your loyal support, we are excited to bring you better, faster and more affordable internet to your home!

Whatever font they use for headings is horrible for text editors to parse. Can't get rid of it unless I retype new lines.

More stringing and cross-street trenching happening today. No ETA for the fibre going live in areas that have poles strung up already, but should not take that long.

I wonder if there's a December break or if they're just going to work through it to get things done.

Last edited:

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Not much of an update this week. Three days of rain and overcast weather put a dampener on fibre stringing, and I haven't seen their trenching teams working in C-Place all week. There was an announcement on 30 November that pre-orders could now be put through for fibre, but I'm waiting to see if the pricing will be the same as Wavecrest.

Reactions: Yuu

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Slightly off topic, I was in the Kruger Park the last few days and around the Komatipoort area.
I noticed Herotel signs advertising fibre.
So I went onto their website and came across some pricing,
Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 16.40.42.png
Pretty good indeed, undercuts most big FNO's like Vumatel and Openserve.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Owing to all the bad weather lately, stringing teams haven't been seen in C-Place for a while, but today started clear. I've seen a few crews trenching in the past week doing road crossings, and a stringing team appeared in my street today.

JEFFREYS BAY - C-PLACE: FIBRE ROLLOUT UPDATE 6
C-Place, Jeffreys Bay - This week our will be in your neighbourhood to string the Fibre cables at the streets mentioned below:
Nautilus Street
Nerita Street
Petal Street
Angelwing Street
Cowrie Street
Dresden Street
Mossel Street
Alikruik Street
Butterfly Street
Gesiggie Street
Periwinkle Street
Drommedaris Street
Andikus & Bydikus resort
Seaview resort

Please take note: There will be road cuts this week in Periwinkle St, Butterfly St, Takbok St, Drommedaris St, Gesiggie St, Koraal St and St Francis St. Road cuts are when there is a trenched section going across a road, this is for the the cables to go underground to the various mid-blocks.

FIBRE ROLL-OUT PROCESS:
1-Poles will be planted in your neighbourhood
2-Fibre cables will be strung from one pole to another
3-Our Fibre technicians will splice the Fibre-optic network cable
4-Once an area is live, our scheduling department will be notified to schedule your Fibre installation.

Kindly please take note: "Go Live" dates will be announced as soon as they are available.

Follow us on Facebook for more updates on Hero Fibre network. Please feel free to contact us on 041 365 5411 or sales@igen.herotel.com to pre-order your Hero Fibre Internet package.
We are excited to bring you better, faster and more affordable internet to your home!
(1) Herotel IGEN – Posts | Facebook

Still wondering if they'll be lowering their pricing soon.

VlakVark_ZA

The only problem I see with this is a lack of choice. Herotel doesn't have a "open access" network which means you are stuck with them as the ISP.

Imagine if Frogfoot said you can only use VOX as your ISP on their fibre network.

georgelza

... would be nice to hear what their plans/time frame is ... and honestly are they planning to ????

AD.Keet inside the Wonderboom crescent, as a circle - WHEN ?

G

avk

So a family member in Despatch recently got fibre. Opted for Metro as the ISP, but Metro recently anounced they will be discontinuing their entry level product (think it was a 5MB product). So he will now be moving to Herotel which recently also started going the aerial route with fibre in their area. The interesting part fo me was that they have no FUP in their contract...

I am hoping this stays and its not just a launch special, which will then trickle down to us in JBay at some stage. I do find myself hitting the 7-day threshold every now and then at present.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 15.56.49.jpeg

However still very happy with the service. Customer service also been very good. I had an issue over the holiday where I had people staying over, and as a result I kept an eye on my usage. For three days in a row the usage displayed as 0.0GB used. Then on day 4 it showed a usage of over 20GB per day, which then resulted in me being throttled. Contacted them via e-mail (I made screenshots as the 0.0GB looked strange at the time) and they lifted my throttling within an hour, and upgraded my line to platinum (no throttling) at no cost to me for the rest of the month.

j@jbay

It looks like there might be another option for those of us not within the rollout plans of Herotel.

MTN is providing a service called Wireless AirFibre, and if enough people in an area shows interest, they will install and provide connectivity.

So there might be hope for those of use who do not see the current fibre solution in our future...

ghostRgg

Expert Member
It looks like there might be another option for those of us not within the rollout plans of Herotel.

MTN is providing a service called Wireless AirFibre, and if enough people in an area shows interest, they will install and provide connectivity.

So there might be hope for those of use who do not see the current fibre solution in our future...
Good on MTN, but honestly I dont see this project going live anytime soon, especially the outlying areas and the ones around herotel.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member

It'll be a tough market to crack. Herotel and TrueWAN are both making aggressive moves to capture more market share, and other entrants into the market aren't price-competitive, like Acorn Broadband. And there's a fourth wireless installer now, can't remember their name. MTN's 1TB accounts are also gaining ground here.

Someplace like Graaff Reinet, where there are literally two MTN towers and otherwise poor Openserve infrastructure, in addition to whatever half-hearted service Vodacom is pulling there, would be ideal for a product like AirFibre. Herotel Cloud Karoo is gunning for that area too. When I was last there, roughly every fourth or fifth house in the main town had a small dish for internet.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Go live for C-Place should be starting sometime this week. My pre-order is in and home installs are apparently going to start soon!

Prices are also in line with other areas:

Aerial Fibre (C-Place)
  • 10Mbps – R499 per month
  • 20Mbps – R699 per month
  • 50Mbps – R849 per month
  • 100Mbps – R999 per month
  • 200Mbps – R1499 per month
Trenched Fibre (Wavecrest, for now)
  • 10Mbps – R699 per month
  • 20Mbps – R849 per month
  • 50Mbps – R999 per month
  • 100Mbps – R1199 per month
  • 200Mbps – R1499 per month
Compares favourably, I think. Aerial is cheaper than trenched pricing in heavily contended areas in Port Elizabeth, while trenched pricing is in line with what the rest of the market charges.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
While C-Place goes live (most areas with poles are complete and installations start on Monday), I missed this update as it happened on my birthday. Way too much cake was eaten.

1613757332647.png

It seems that Herotel's plan for the rest of the town rollout is aerial fibre - presumably right up to the point where they might be forced to trench for technical reasons.

Seeing as C-Place was completed in about four months (five if you count the additional month spent getting permissions to be in yards), this next phase should take up roughly the same amount of time.

Trenched fibre already pops up at the corner of Seetuin and Blombos, where it terminates on the corner by the Victory Christian school. There's already a road crossing somewhere for the Lifestyle Estate's fibre, but presumably another will have to be made to hop from Blombos to the other side of the road.

There's already fibre on parts of Fairlie road, but it's in the dip that runs into the valley, terminating by a little brick house that houses what I seem to remember being water pumps.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
While I wait in anticipation of my install, I visited a client's house last week and saw their fibre setup. Helped a bit to plan where my own cable runs to.

20210217_184908.jpg

20210217_184911.jpg

The Broadcom EPON is fairly small and uses a simple 12V 0.5A charger. That'll sip juice from my UPS. Downlink and uplink speeds of up to 2.5Gbps/1.25Gbps.

I'm not really fond of the Tenda N600 router that was also installed, so hopefully this isn't a case of needing to clone the MAC in order to use my own router. If it's just plugging the EPON into the WAN port to get connected then I can continue using my router running LEDE instead. My QoS will be better than whatever Broadcom includes in their firmware.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Well, I now have fibre installed.

The installers arrived this morning from PE at around 9AM. They expected to be spending about three hours doing the installation, but only took around 75 minutes thanks to the prep work my dad and I did ahead of time.

20210227_085220 (Medium).jpg

The line was fished through a PVC pipe I had already laid in the roof, so it went straight through and dropped down into my network cupboard. No drilling or hammering required.

20210227_085233 (Medium).jpg

Clear skies and no wind or rain.

20210227_092835 (Medium).jpg

Instead of using those Broadcom EPONs with trenched fiber like they did previously, this one is made by ALFOCOM. The AFEN-01GS is a low-cost GigE EPON and consumes six watts of power.

Everything got configured just fine, and there were no problems with the splicing on either end. The account connects via PPPoE and they change the password to lock you out of the router that is supplied. Doesn't bother me much considering that the one they gave me is fairly decent.

20210227_092002 (Medium).jpg

Not too fancy, but it does the job. Coverage is as good, if not slightly better, than my old (and now failing) TP-Link Archer C7.

And now for the money shot:

1614417742211.png

Downloads from GoG.com are currently running at 12MB/s. Jitter is below 1ms and bufferbloat seems to be handled well with the default QoS on the Totolink. Twitch streams in source. Netflix will probably do 4K.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Seeing as there hasn't been much in the way of testing ping times on Herotel's network, I'm using Game Server Ping Test - ping checker to get some hard numbers. I'm using the standard Herotel DNS for this.

Fortnite to EU: 180ms
Valorant to EU: 179ms
League of Legends to EU: 168ms
CSGO to EU server: 167ms (local is way below 40ms)
Apex Legends to EU: 360ms (this is probably a bad route, will drop Herotel a mail about it later)
COD: MW to EU: 163ms
Hearthstone to EU: 177ms
Hearthstone to local AU: 38ms
PUBG to Ireland server: 174ms
RB6 Siege to EU: 169ms
Overwatch to EU: 167ms
DOTA2 to EU: 180ms
DOTA2 to local server: 1800ms (bad route, thinking this might be DNS related)
BFV to US server: 247ms (although there are local servers, so the list that gets tested here needs to be updated)
BLOPS4 to UK server: 164ms
WoT to EU: 370ms (bad route)
WoW to US server: 296ms, but this jumps to over 500ms occassionally
World of Warships to EU: 370ms (bad route)