Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Dafuq? I haven't even seen their vans in that area. Herotel's aerial fibre should be going live there in a few weeks.

Not too surprised to be honest.
kinda what happened here in KZN.... there's another provider that started installing, next moment Openserve see there's competition, then they pull Fibre across their existing copper infrastructure, whether underground or aerial.

Leno

Expert Member
Same thing happened in our block of flats in NMB, no interest for years then suddenly Blitz showed interest, Openserve came knocking on the door. Few weeks later Matrofibre also came knocking.

Unfortunately Openserve wanted like just under R100k to do the trunking etc inside the building. Would have been impossible to get that cost approved with the owners as its not something everyone uses.

georgelza

Interesting.

So Metro Fiber is busy (hopefully open access so that we can get CISP), I know Telkom is (which will be open access) also and then Kouga Municipality is busy with a POC project themselves also, in addition to Herotel.

so things are happening, just f'ing slooowwww.

G

Attachments

• IMG_3290.PNG
    IMG_3290.PNG
    353.9 KB · Views: 25

georgelza

Kouga is running a pilot to show the value of making high speed connectivity services a 5th utility. (aka they've figured out the lost in revenue due to Eskom not delivering, and need to back fill the piggy bank).
don't know all the details, but i sounds like they want to provide infrastructure as a 5th utility on which the owner can then select his preferred ISP.

G

georgelza

dammm that was fast, they were digging 3-4 weeks ago down Seetuin laying that fiber.

Now if they can jsut come a little further down the hill, do the inside of the Wonderboom loop and AD Keet. that block.

G

Skankhunt

Expert Member
dammm that was fast, they were digging 3-4 weeks ago down Seetuin laying that fiber.

Now if they can jsut come a little further down the hill, do the inside of the Wonderboom loop and AD Keet. that block.

G
Yea Openserve usually just pull new fibre over their existing copper. Our neighbourhood was upgraded to Openserve fibre from Copper in about 6 weeks, although there was some additional delays due to a resident mid block that didn't allow the Openserve contractors to install. But yea, overall, they are very fast.

georgelza

... so anyone recently got any new "stories" told to them by service providers for JBay...
Still sitting and not seeing anyone make movements down our side of Wavecrest (Between AD Keet and inside the Wonderboom crescent ring.
G

Skankhunt

Expert Member
... so anyone recently got any new "stories" told to them by service providers for JBay...
Still sitting and not seeing anyone make movements down our side of Wavecrest (Between AD Keet and inside the Wonderboom crescent ring.
G

Saw Metrofibre gazzibo in front of Spar a few days ago, I suppose taking pre-orders or something.

georgelza

Amusing as MetroFiber is not a ISP... they provide service to the ISP's, so they have nothing to do/sign with us, the end user.

G

georgelza

Weirdly they actually do have their own ISP called Metro Fibre.
must be knew, last time I had one on one contact with them they implied they don't do this...
but then again, these little sit downs below gazebo's mean nothing for me, it's about have they pulled fiber down the my road, and everyone have said, they're on their way for the last 2 years now...

G

Skankhunt

Expert Member
must be knew, last time I had one on one contact with them they implied they don't do this...
but then again, these little sit downs below gazebo's mean nothing for me, it's about have they pulled fiber down the my road, and everyone have said, they're on their way for the last 2 years now...

G
But yea, according to our family in J-Bay, Metro-Fibre got the wayleaves to do all of Jeffreys Bay & Humansdorp. Considering it's underground it's not going to happen overnight, but it is in the pipeline.

georgelza

that sounds more like fckd then... balance of JBay will go fast... then they get to this section and they hit the rick just below the surface,

sounds like we back to square 1... except if Telkom can deliver by pulling fiber into their current pipes asap. they can so easily nullify the balance of the other all talk slowly nothing done infrastructure providers.

G

georgelza

ye.. they seem to be following the other providers and deploying fiber on the same areas and leaving lower wavecrest abandoned.

G