Fibre in Jeffreys Bay coming, built by Igen

Skankhunt

Expert Member
ye.. they seem to be following the other providers and deploying fiber on the same areas and leaving lower wavecrest abandoned.

G

I saw some Herotel manholes along the surfspots (Plane St / Pepper St). Not sure if it's live yet, but that side of wavecrest is prime real estate, so I don't see that it will be abandoned..

Considering that most of the infrastructure (eg backbone fibre) comes from the N2 / mall area, it probably will slowly make its way there.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
ye.. they seem to be following the other providers and deploying fiber on the same areas and leaving lower wavecrest abandoned.

G
Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 07.10.12.png

There you have it.. Pretty much the whole of J-bay is to be covered by Metro.

Leno

Expert Member
I wonder if Metro Fibre gave up on the street micro trenching they did here in PE/Summerstrand, it did make things go a lot faster (Delay was the backbone link into Summerstrand)

Theunis Waite

I wonder if Metro Fibre gave up on the street micro trenching they did here in PE/Summerstrand, it did make things go a lot faster (Delay was the backbone link into Summerstrand)
Hi . Do you know were they are currently digging to lay the fiber cables.
Thanks

georgelza

They seem to have shifted direction, they're down around ADKeet atm, already laid fiber down Wonderboom, and I've see markings on my sidewalk also (I join Wonderboom). so atm smiling.
They signed my mom up yesterday down in Kabeljauws, or make that VCSA did, with a Metrofiber person along... (or not)
so it looks like we might be having some movement, trying to find out if they doing a open or closed network. would like it to be open... don't like being offered just one option, but ye guess beggars can't be choosers, if closed will do a month on month contract, waiting for the network to then go open.
G

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 12.59.13.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 12.59.13.png
    626.6 KB · Views: 9

georgelza

Unfortunately not , I'm in PE , was more wondering out loud what trenching they will use
they doing a mix, standard team with shuffles, but they also having the little under driveway bore machine.
G

Skankhunt

Expert Member
They seem to have shifted direction, they're down around ADKeet atm, already laid fiber down Wonderboom, and I've see markings on my sidewalk also (I join Wonderboom). so atm smiling.
They signed my mom up yesterday down in Kabeljauws, or make that VCSA did, with a Metrofiber person along... (or not)
so it looks like we might be having some movement, trying to find out if they doing a open or closed network. would like it to be open... don't like being offered just one option, but ye guess beggars can't be choosers, if closed will do a month on month contract, waiting for the network to then go open.
G
Metro fibre is an open network, despite having its own ISP. You'll be able to choose any ISP, ranging from Afrihost, Cool ideas, Mweb, etc, just to name a few.

georgelza

I’m hoping their contract for Jbay is open… that they did not do a do deal with VCSA that they keep jbay closed… as it’s VCSA primarily doing the walk around… might be that people locally simply don’t know better and thinking that HAVE to sign with VCSA…
Waiting for @PBCool To respond in another thread if they aware of the activities of Metro in town.
G

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I’m hoping their contract for Jbay is open… that they did not do a do deal with VCSA that they keep jbay closed… as it’s VCSA primarily doing the walk around… might be that people locally simply don’t know better and thinking that HAVE to sign with VCSA…
Waiting for @PBCool To respond in another thread if they aware of the activities of Metro in town.
G

Yea, rather not sign with anyone now, till it's live.

georgelza

Anyone know... Metrofiber will put their OTN down... do I configure PPPoE on my edge router/modem... or do they do it their side based on a MAC address of their OTN...
Do they run DHCP for the client side... and can I ask them to assign me a specific IP?
G