Fibre in Verulam (Durban) 4340, 4339

bear101

Update: So this conversation I had last Friday (19/11) with one of the Link Layer Reps on their WhatsApp number.

Looks like there is some waiting to be done in Verulam. But crossing fingers it be sooner than much later.

Screenshot_20211122-114347_WhatsApp.jpg

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Results of our meeting:

Things are happening in the Verulam build, they are however still in a construction phase and planning, this means there wont be a set date as to when the area will go live. We have pushed them as much as we can including our meeting with their management and planning team. While they are extremely keen on getting the area live and connected ASAP, the details aren't near letting the public know right now.

We have requested to be kept in the loop so we can inform and keep you all up to date, sadly we have nothing else to report as of yet.

bear101

Results of our meeting:

Things are happening in the Verulam build, they are however still in a construction phase and planning, this means there wont be a set date as to when the area will go live. We have pushed them as much as we can including our meeting with their management and planning team. While they are extremely keen on getting the area live and connected ASAP, the details aren't near letting the public know right now.

We have requested to be kept in the loop so we can inform and keep you all up to date, sadly we have nothing else to report as of yet.

Appreciated @Ghostfibre, at least we know someone's talking for us in Verulam. Thank you.

dev8383

CDAA6763-DA29-4D9E-B7BB-A5F78F4C2680.png Yep I asked this morning and got a response as below … oh well all we can do is wait , uncapped lte is helping for now

Thanks @Ghostfibre for the follow ups , it’s appreciated

dev8383

With Afrihost mtn fixed lte , after 1 TB you are down to 2mbps for the remainder of a month

I think the above deal should be the same

In peak times I get single digit speeds which is a problem, off peak I can get 20-40 mbps download speeds.

mo_maiter

Tired of waiting for Fibre and seen min price at R599 decided to get Vodacom 400gb day and night 20mbps for R229 and cudnt be happier. Constant 15mb speed on wifi at all times. Fine for netlfix and little online gaming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-190441_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-190441_Speedtest.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17

ProfSantosh

Tired of waiting for Fibre and seen min price at R599 decided to get Vodacom 400gb day and night 20mbps for R229 and cudnt be happier. Constant 15mb speed on wifi at all times. Fine for netlfix and little online gaming.

What router are you using?

I’m sure with a better router or an LTE antenna you could do better.

But yeah that’s a good deal from Vodacom.

mo_maiter

What router are you using?

I’m sure with a better router or an LTE antenna you could do better.

But yeah that’s a good deal from Vodacom.
Comes with Alcatel Hh72v1. It's capped to 20mbps so wont be much difference. Today they had 400gb day and 400gb night full lte for R349

Reactions: Yuu

dev8383

Think this is now a 2022 go live since holidays etc from mid December to mid January

Sad in a way because vumareach really rocked it in Phoenix and chatsworth , Some good fixed lte deals in the interim I guess

bear101

Think this is now a 2022 go live since holidays etc from mid December to mid January

Sad in a way because vumareach really rocked it in Phoenix and chatsworth , Some good fixed lte deals in the interim I guess

Yeah I agree, I think we be lucky if we get mid January. I did message their whatsapp number now:

Screenshot_20211202-112658_WhatsApp.jpg

marvelguy

Family members got a Vodacom Black Friday special.

I predicted this in the thread.

They are charging too much in lower income areas & 4g/5g options are becoming more attractive.Fibre is also being deployed too slowly.

They are competing with 4g/5g with customers in less affluent areas.

I also have a feeling Vodacom & MTN will continue to directly compete with Fibre.

It's in their best interest to directly compete with Fibre. They are losing a source of revenue from Fibre customers & this is why Vodacom bought a stake in Vumatel.

Just my 2c.

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
They are competing with 4g/5g with customers in less affluent areas.
While LTE is a great solution for temporary connectivity I wouldn't say they are directly competing, only in areas that are yet to get fibre.

If you need set speeds, uncapped and relaibility fibre is second to none. Thats excluding the latency and other inconsistancies that come with LTE. Even 5G has seen its fair share of major problems in South Africa.

dev8383

I agree with @Ghostfibre

You also do have valid points @marvelguy and yes there will be people happy with fixed lte for those use cases. Prior to fibre I used to get away with cell c giga 200 :- 50 gb anytime and 150gb midnight for the year. With fibre my usage changed drastically, including less travel to the office

I’ve had fibre from 2016 at my prev place and it’s a game changer , relocating to verulam for the last year I’m happy that at least it’s in the ground.

Once you go fibre , your usage profile will change unless you are very disciplined. Also if you are work from home it’s a blessing !

marvelguy

While LTE is a great solution for temporary connectivity I wouldn't say they are directly competing, only in areas that are yet to get fibre.

If you need set speeds, uncapped and relaibility fibre is second to none. Thats excluding the latency and other inconsistancies that come with LTE. Even 5G has seen its fair share of major problems in South Africa.
I partially agree.

The Frogfoot network is terrible though.

I considered moving to Mtn Fixed Lte. That is how unreliable Frogfoot is sometimes

ProfSantosh

I partially agree.

The Frogfoot network is terrible though.

I considered moving to Mtn Fixed Lte. That is how unreliable Frogfoot is sometimes

Hi,

If you don’t mind sharing so more info

How long have you been with frogfoot?
What ISP are you with?
What are some of the issues you experiencing?

Regards

bear101

Morning guys, hope all is well, any updates regards to Link Layer in Verulam ?

@Ghostfibre any news from your end?