Fibre in Verulam (Durban) 4340, 4339

bear101

Hi,

As per our map:

Yellow zone indicates: Work In Progress & Red Zone indicates: Planned - no ETA

The area is not marked on our maps and therefore it is not Frogfoot Fibre in the area. If you would like to get Froggin’ Awesome Fibre in that Riyadh, you can register on our portal to show interest https://bit.ly/3nppmY9

Regards,
Frogfoot Fibre
So I guess we just have to wait in Riyadh to see which Provider/s are going to be in our Area. So far no street Cabinets have been put up from what I have seen. :unsure:

Hopefully sooner than later some news comes through :confused:

marvelguy

Found this on the Link Layer website. View attachment 1128346
I just checked prices now.
On average it is 700pm with Link Layer for a 25mb line.
Thats ridiculous.

It isnt an affluent area.

@Frogfoot Fibre is rolling out in other parts of Verulam and they are between 100-200 cheaper.

These fibre networks are basically establishing a monopoly.

My family tried contacting Vumatel and Frogfoot on multiple occassions to rollout fibre but it seems only Link Layer was interested.

You know things are bad when you are the same price as Vumatel's premium fibre(not reach).

@Frogfoot Fibre W.t.h man...You should rolled out in more areas of Verulam.

Last edited:

Milion

I just checked prices now.
On average it is 700pm with Link Layer for a 25mb line.
Thats ridiculous.

It isnt an affluent area.

@Frogfoot Fibre is rolling out in other parts of Verulam and they are between 100-200 cheaper.

These fibre networks are basically establishing a monopoly.

My family tried contacting Vumatel and Frogfoot on multiple occassions to rollout fibre but it seems only Link Layer was interested.

You know things are bad when you are the same price as Vumatel's premium fibre(not reach).

@Frogfoot Fibre W.t.h man...You should rolled out in more areas of Verulam.
They are rolling out in Verulam and Tongaat at the moment. Its going to be difficult to sign up people in these areas at those prices.

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
They are rolling out in Verulam and Tongaat at the moment. Its going to be difficult to sign up people in these areas at those prices.
They are quite pricey. Trying to see if there is anything we can do, as currently, we have a free installation promotion with them but as you said our entry-level package on Link Layer is R699. But even if you compare it to some of the other networks, most entry-level packages are around R599-699 except for those on promotion.

marvelguy

They are quite pricey. Trying to see if there is anything we can do, as currently, we have a free installation promotion with them but as you said our entry-level package on Link Layer is R699. But even if you compare it to some of the other networks, most entry-level packages are around R599-699 except for those on promotion.
I'm actually annoyed with these Fibre networks.

I don't understand Link Layer's strategy in Verulam.The majority of people in the area won't pay 699 for uncapped fibre.

Vumatel should have rolled out "vuma reach"
or Frogfoot should have targeted more areas.

It has been years of me begging these operators to consider Fibre for family members in the area.

It has always been empty promises and then silence.

@Frogfoot Fibre would have made sense in Verulam.Their entry level product is now less than the price of DSTV compact.

Openserve also would have done well but they are useless.

I just cant see masses of people in the area paying 699.

marvelguy

The price of fibre has come down significantly via Frogfoot ,Openserve and Vuma Reach.

Home connect is 390 for 30/3, Afrihost is 495 ~30/3 and 599 for 30/30 on Frogfoot.

I just wish my family had the option of Frogfoot or Openserve and not this crap

bear101

The price of fibre has come down significantly via Frogfoot ,Openserve and Vuma Reach.

Home connect is 390 for 30/3, Afrihost is 495 ~30/3 and 599 for 30/30 on Frogfoot.

I just wish my family had the option of Frogfoot or Openserve and not this crap

Well its really frustrating that companies can pick and choose areas where prices escalate to another area, Are we looking at a monopoly here because they might be only 1 or 2 service provider(s) in Verulam?

dev8383

It’s seems link layer does have some affordable packages on their Facebook page

252D0AEE-D511-4A4F-9D54-D69E83F31602.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

dev8383

In April Vox was distributing this in the Everest Heights area …I know frogfoot has been bought by Vox.
When I contacted the Vox rep on the pamphlet she said Everest Heights was in the planning phase …

so far didn’t see any trenching activity my side

fibre prices are falling often now so that’s one good thing !

E4284B65-561C-49A3-A923-75643EE3A319.jpeg

dev8383

Took a drive today

Grange town: saw two roads there , didn’t drive the entire area

Everest Heights: 4 roads are being trenched with Inca drive already having a patch box , all roads in this area have measurement markings at the intersections indicating that the suburb should be trenched by December

Not sure who’s doing the trenching , when they start on my street I’ll ask and see what they say

At least step 1 has started for Everest heights and grange town

dev8383

Made an enquiry with Link Layer this weekend, they are trenching in the above areas and hope to have everything complete by beginning of Nov 2021 (by year end municipal shut down for civils)

dev8383

Update : boundary boxes like the black ones are being installed and trenches covered up on several roads in the Everest Heights area.

I also see access chambers like the white ones being installed. There are still roads being dug so I think by mid October the ducting should be done everywhere in Everest Heights.

Not sure about the other areas but I might do a drive by during the weekend.

The Frogfoot deployment should be lit by end Sept in some parts and end Oct in other paths of Verulam.

Interesting times for the area.... cell towers are quite congested so fixed LTE is not working so well these days.

Also interesting, Mtelecoms Tongaat build is in "preorder" on Afrihost so I'm sure the Verulam build will follow soon.
1631724433827.png

bear101

Update : boundary boxes like the black ones are being installed and trenches covered up on several roads in the Everest Heights area.

I also see access chambers like the white ones being installed. There are still roads being dug so I think by mid October the ducting should be done everywhere in Everest Heights.

Not sure about the other areas but I might do a drive by during the weekend.

The Frogfoot deployment should be lit by end Sept in some parts and end Oct in other paths of Verulam.

Interesting times for the area.... cell towers are quite congested so fixed LTE is not working so well these days.

Also interesting, Mtelecoms Tongaat build is in "preorder" on Afrihost so I'm sure the Verulam build will follow soon.
View attachment 1148442
Thanks for the update @dev8383 , I see in Riyadh they now pushing a black cable through those blue conduits they previously laid down, so seems promising stuff is getting done.

Milion

Tongaat seems to have both Metrofibre and Link Layer available on pre order.
Only Brindhaven and Dawncrest (frogfoot) can be pre ordered in Verulam. Hope they update the maps soon.

dev8383

Interestingly the dfa map shows their fibre backbone is live in Everest Heights , and it terminates by a cell tower. I wonder where they are going to put the gpon cards…

have not had any letter / pamphlet drops from mtelecoms who is doing the civil work for link layer as yet

43CABEA2-94C7-4193-AA15-477039CDE025.png

bear101

So I had a chat with the techs in Riyadh where they installing the access chambers.

They said Mtelecoms still has to sell the Fibre to open access Fibre network owner (FNO) like Frogfoot, Openserve , Vuma etc!,

I think that's why there is still no indication why Frogfoot or other providers maps are not updated yet.

Not sure how correct in what he was in saying, but so far thats the answers we getting in Riyadh with the Techs that we see on the roads. :confused:

Milion

So I had a chat with the techs in Riyadh where they installing the access chambers.

They said Mtelecoms still has to sell the Fibre to open access Fibre network owner (FNO) like Frogfoot, Openserve , Vuma etc!,

I think that's why there is still no indication why Frogfoot or other providers maps are not updated yet.

Not sure how correct in what he was in saying, but so far thats the answers we getting in Riyadh with the Techs that we see on the roads. :confused:
That's interesting. I wonder why Frogfoot would only roll out in Brindhaven/Dawncrest and not aquire Riyadh, Everest Heights etc as they are similar income areas.

dev8383

Well I understand that mtel gets contracted by a client (linklayer in this case?) to do the whole civil works incl dealing with the municipality’s etc ,

mtel would have charged R 20 mil for this , so someone paid right ? When I checked with link layer they did say it was them.

I also checked vuma , they confirmed it was not them and if they did come it

let’s see 1 Nov when link layer said they hope for everything to be completed, so far no mail drops or anything

in the Everest heights area the trenches are being covered up mostly now

Tongaat has linklayer and metrofibre on Afrihost on pre order , with no comms I can’t say that I have definitive feedback except linklayer vi their business WhatsApp ‍♂️

bear101

still no idea when verulam/dawcrest may go live?

I'm Surprised Dawncrest is not live currently, one of my co-workers lives in Oaklands and enter her address on Web Africa and seems Fibre is available to order.