Fibre in Verulam (Durban) 4340, 4339

dev8383

@bear101 , did they start blowing fibre ? Asking because I think the build is still in an early stage and that why it’s not on anyones maps except linklayer

bear101

@bear101 , did they start blowing fibre ? Asking because I think the build is still in an early stage and that why it’s not on anyones maps except linklayer
@dev8383 yes that was done, they finished that around 2 weeks ago. And these techs said by middle of October it should be live, how true is that I have no idea.

Milion

I'm Surprised Dawncrest is not live currently, one of my co-workers lives in Oaklands and enter her address on Web Africa and seems Fibre is available to order.
According to Frogfoot website, Dawncrest will be live at the end of this month.

dev8383

Ok awesome, let’s see what happens. If I hear of anything I’ll update the thread. I’m eagerly awaiting fibre in Everest heights here

bear101

Ok awesome, let’s see what happens. If I hear of anything I’ll update the thread. I’m eagerly awaiting fibre in Everest heights here
At least with this thread I'm getting some answers in the right direction, appreciate it guys. We all hoping soon Verulam is Fibre Lit!!

dev8383

Dropped link layer an email, you can see the response below. They also gave me a contact person to speak to about dates-I cut that part out of the email.

will update after chatting to him

8458085C-3FFB-4800-870A-B30A8D0297D6.jpeg

dev8383

There you go, the contact they gave me didn’t answer/respond to my sms as yet.

few weeks so happy to wait it out …

bear101

From what I see on their webpage they do have multiple ISPs listed with them. And prices vary from one to the other. And there are some of the ISPs that have reasonable prices on their lower uncapped speeds. So hoping once live in all areas users have a option that can be affordable to them and attracts them to Fibre.

dev8383

ADSL copper is poor in the area and telkom wants to get rid of the copper network,so I think many will go for the 25mbps which can work out for basic internet use

I do see the contractors busy in multiple areas as I drive so I believe they are pushing for October.

Read somewhere the ROI for such a rollout is 30% of the households , R 400-500 packages will be taken up for sure

mo_maiter

ADSL copper is poor in the area and telkom wants to get rid of the copper network,so I think many will go for the 25mbps which can work out for basic internet use

I do see the contractors busy in multiple areas as I drive so I believe they are pushing for October.

Read somewhere the ROI for such a rollout is 30% of the households , R 400-500 packages will be taken up for sure
Hi Dev. Thanks for updates. I live in Russom near new Shoprite. Frogfoot installed top part of Russom Street from Mcdonalds up few months back but do you know who is installing by me? Also yesterday they closed trenches but rubble just dumped on to cover and huge rocks on my concrete drive way.

dev8383

Hi . I am led to believe Link layer is doing the fibre roll out. The civil rollout (trenching etc) is being done by mtelecoms on behalf of link layer.

Mtelecoms email is at the bottom of their webpage, my Dad also had a similar complaint and emailed them. The next day it was sorted

Please update us here , the correct thing that the companies responsible could have done is letter drops explaining the process/ handling of complains etc before the work started.

they were fairly quick to sort out water issues when those pipes were damaged in Everest heights

bear101

I think you can point out some good civil companies that lay fibre in certain areas,

I work in Umhlanga Rocks, and when you pass the residential areas here, from my interpretation whoever was the civil company that took on the work there, definitely took a way different approach to laying the cable than our areas,

I also think Umhlanga Civic Association might not have allowed them to excavate their properties in the manner Mtelecoms handled most of the Verulam Residential areas.

And the issue with Mtelecoms in my opinion is they will hire 3rd party guys who then will hire workers that need work that know nothing about Fibre laying etc,. I doubt Mtelecoms "contractors" even knew how to read up blue prints of the road which indicate under water piping and electricity cables.

Just my thoughts .....

mo_maiter

I think you can point out some good civil companies that lay fibre in certain areas,

I work in Umhlanga Rocks, and when you pass the residential areas here, from my interpretation whoever was the civil company that took on the work there, definitely took a way different approach to laying the cable than our areas,

I also think Umhlanga Civic Association might not have allowed them to excavate their properties in the manner Mtelecoms handled most of the Verulam Residential areas.

And the issue with Mtelecoms in my opinion is they will hire 3rd party guys who then will hire workers that need work that know nothing about Fibre laying etc,. I doubt Mtelecoms "contractors" even knew how to read up blue prints of the road which indicate under water piping and electricity cables.

Just my thoughts .....
Definitely agree. Also i think bigger companies like Vumatel get more professional contractors.