Fibre in Verulam (Durban) 4340, 4339

dev8383

Sweet, on time. The do see the teams blowing fibre and larger junction manholes being installed in Everest heights, so seems by mid October to early November for the linklayer go live (most of verulam)

Gator2021

Has anyone already had their pre-installation done by frogfoot and can confirm if their ONT lights up since the area is now live?

bear101

Are we all moving to Verulam west :ROFL: or should we just have a little more patients lol. :popcorn::coffee:

On a serious note... What a awesome day for Verulam, because honestly I was expecting Fibre in Verulam 2 years from now.

With Link layer handling most of the other areas, we hoping within this month some areas become live, "worst case" scenario early November.

mo_maiter

Are we all moving to Verulam west :ROFL: or should we just have a little more patients lol. :popcorn::coffee:

On a serious note... What a awesome day for Verulam, because honestly I was expecting Fibre in Verulam 2 years from now.

With Link layer handling most of the other areas, we hoping within this month some areas become live, "worst case" scenario early November.
Yeah they are actually moving faster than frogfoot was. Took Frogfoot almost 6 months i think.

ProfSantosh

Frogfoot's definition of live is a bit twisted. They seem to be the slowest provider as they started deploying fibre in Feb 2021 supposed to go live in June then July and then September.

My line was installed and ready 3 weeks before they supposedly went live on the 30th of September however to this day I'm am not live.

I've contacted frog foot and they told me that multiple customers are facing issues and that the issue will only be resolved between the 25th and 27th at which time the maintenance team is in the area.

@Frogfoot Fibre @AfriGuy @AfriNatic

Last edited:

mo_maiter

Frogfoot's definition of live is a bit twisted. They seem to be the slowest provider as they started deploying fibre in Feb 2021 supposed to go live in June then July and then September.

My line was installed and ready 3 weeks before they supposedly went live on the 30th of September however to this day I'm am not live.

I've contacted frog foot and they told me that multiple customers are facing issues and that the issue will only be resolved between the 24th and 27th at which time the maintenance team is in the area.

@Frogfoot Fibre
Which Isp you went with and what are prcing?Yeah very slow compared to how quick link layer is moving and they much smaller company compared to Frogfoot

bear101

I've contacted frog foot and they told me that multiple customers are facing issues and that the issue will only be resolved between the 25th and 27th at which time the maintenance team is in the area.

@Frogfoot Fibre @AfriGuy @AfriNatic

Thats really weak on Frogfoots side,

Im in Riyadh our Fibre is with Link layer which from their indication we will only be live End October, and other areas in Verulam.

So I spoke to the tech guys this weekend who are installing the Fibre in our area, and they mentioned to me that they had Re-dig some areas to sort out some cables and found faults as they were testing it. So not sure if this is going to delay when link layer is going to be live in our area.

Personally I rather they find faults now before it goes live, and not have users with endless issues when it is fully active.

ProfSantosh

Abit pricy unless you need fast upload as well. I see they also charge installation. My colleague got with Afrihost in Phoenix for R399 with free installation.
I do need the upload for work otherwise I would have gone for the 30/3 which would be fine for my needs.

Phoenix is on Vuma Reach which has a limited set of ISP's and only two packages that are 20/10 (around R399pm) and 40/10 (around R529pm), with Vuma Reach the ONT/CPE and Wifi Router is one device. Vuma Reach is ideal for most area's as it is cost-effective and pure month to month with no cancellation fee

dev8383

Thats really weak on Frogfoots side,

Im in Riyadh our Fibre is with Link layer which from their indication we will only be live End October, and other areas in Verulam.

So I spoke to the tech guys this weekend who are installing the Fibre in our area, and they mentioned to me that they had Re-dig some areas to sort out some cables and found faults as they were testing it. So not sure if this is going to delay when link layer is going to be live in our area.

Personally I rather they find faults now before it goes live, and not have users with endless issues when it is fully active.
Intersection holes still have conduits unconnected and open in some parts of Everest heights. They are yet to put the plastic manholes also in some spots

I also agree that the testing must be done and network properly commissioned prior to handover and go live

perhaps would be good to reach out with the community rep and see how the rollout is going ….

dev8383

Everest heights updates ..

1. connection points on boundary walls done on my road. So from here it’s < 30m to where I would want a termination point

634C0C13-F140-4851-A131-127777414802.jpeg

2. Splicing within ant boxes :
That was also done , I took a peak into an ant box near me , some evidence left behind below- the fibre cable exposed a bit

617EB8B1-946A-420F-B645-015460A17C36.jpeg

apparently average time to test after splicing gets a two weeks or so but I have no idea but will see what happens from @bear101 side (Riyadh)

bear101

Everest heights updates ..

1. connection points on boundary walls done on my road. So from here it’s < 30m to where I would want a termination point

View attachment 1166466

2. Splicing within ant boxes :
That was also done , I took a peak into an ant box near me , some evidence left behind below- the fibre cable exposed a bit

View attachment 1166468

apparently average time to test after splicing gets a two weeks or so but I have no idea but will see what happens from @bear101 side (Riyadh)

This is awesome, @dev8383 , I think we nearly in the home stretch here.

Honestly so far in my area all the manholes have been done and covered with the plastic covers, and also connection points have been done, I have not seen anymore testing done, seems very quite from Monday, not sure if that is a good thing. Hoping testing is done and we can move to the next stage.

Will update if anything changes