Fibre installed, no router yet (want to use my own router)

Boquito17

Hi everyone

Let me start off by saying I am absolutely going crazy. Cool.

So I had Vumatel install fibre yesterday. I am now waiting on Cybersmart to deliver their own router (they say Friday earlier, wtf).

I am trying to set up with my own router with little success. It's a Linksys WRT1900AC – I am also trying now with an Apple Airport Extreme Basestation.

I have read all the threads that relate to this topic. I came across the MAC device issue, whereby the first connected device is 'locked' in. I am currently on hold to try and refresh this lock.

So back to the Linksys, I have tried via bridge mode and normal mode; both did not work.

Can anybody direct me as to how to do this? Alternatively, does anyone have a setup with their own router that worked? I will drive halfway across the world to buy the correct router, if it will work guaranteed.

Thanks in advanced,
Boq

flamevector

You need to contact the ISP they will then allow for the Router to work they lock down the CPE to a Mac address of the router to my knowlage.

Boquito17

You need to contact the ISP they will then allow for the Router to work they lock down the CPE to a Mac address of the router to my knowlage.

This was exactly the problem... thanks very much for the response. Support last night knew nothing about this, today I was helped properly and they knew what was up. Appreciate it very much!

flamevector

who is your ISP BTW? i must say on Crystalweb using Vuma. I changed routers told the guy what was up and took 15 mins and i was up again.

naeem.ally

On VOX I didn't need to inform of them of changing routers. I tried three routers and they all were able to connect using my credentials via PPPoE

Valerion

Expert Member
On VOX I didn't need to inform of them of changing routers. I tried three routers and they all were able to connect using my credentials via PPPoE

This is Vuma, though, which doesn't use PPoE, but DHCP instead, binding to your router's MAC address.