Fibre ISP with the fastest download speeds in South Africa

Bighit

Expert Member
I know this article is about download speeds, but look at mwebs upload speed :wtf:

Electron1

Expert Member
How many tests per ISP? ie if seacom average is over say 50 tests and cool ideas is over 1000 tests is that a fair reflection?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Assuming those are GB connections I cant see how anyone would accept the ones that are so much slower than the actual claimed connection speed.

Looney

Expert Member
Why is Cool Ideas dead last :( was actually looking forward to signing up with them once Fibrehoods comes to my area, but now I'm not so sure...

MickeyD

RIP
Why is Cool Ideas dead last :( was actually looking forward to signing up with them once Fibrehoods comes to my area, but now I'm not so sure...
Most normal folks only do a speedtest if there is a problem. Do NOT use it as a pre-condition to choosing your fibre provider.

Looney

Expert Member
Most normal folks only do a speedtest if there is a problem. Do NOT use it as a pre-condition to choosing your fibre provider.
Surely a test like this shows the overall network performance? I'm not too clued up about these things, but looking at those results just make it seem... well... meh!

MickeyD

RIP
Surely a test like this shows the overall network performance? I'm not too clued up about these things, but looking at those results just make it seem... well... meh!
No, not at all.

As an example... How many times have you done a speedtest? And why?

Looney

Expert Member
No, not at all.

As an example... How many times have you done a speedtest? And why?
Well I currently have 5mb ADSL with a SNR of 6.4db, so yeah, I generally run into issues so I run Speedtests quite often.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well I currently have 5mb ADSL with a SNR of 6.4db, so yeah, I generally run into issues so I run Speedtests quite often.
And what packages were these people paying for? Seacom would primarily target large companies who pay a fortune for it, Cool Ideas also sells 20Mbps home connections.
This test should also include what package every person who used the test signed up for, then one should take the average of that and then one can say the ISP delivers 100% of the package speeds, or 102% in the case of bursts on fiber lines. ;)

Data_Dude

I know of people in my suburb on at least 3 ISPs not mentioned in this article who are getting better speeds than some of these. Difficult to take an article seriously if you know the facts!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I know of people in my suburb on at least 3 ISPs not mentioned in this article who are getting better speeds than some of these. Difficult to take an article seriously if you know the facts!
Agree.

Fluttershy

I wouldn't worry too much about what this article says. I am with Cool Ideas and I am getting the speeds that I am paying for. Haven't had any issues at all.

kolakidd

Depends on what you sign up for. I'm with Cool Ideas 50/50 on Vumatel fibre and I get 50/50. Anyway, on Vumatel, only Mweb does 1000/1000.