Fibre rollout expected to reach 3-million homes by 2020

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Fibre rollout expected to reach 3-million homes by 2020

Having access to the internet is fast becoming a way of life versus just being a nice to have. This has given rise to a greater demand for connectivity from both South African consumers and businesses alike, with fibre being one of the fastest growing and most competitively priced options.

While fibre is by no means a new technology, having existed in the South African market for at least six to seven years already, the difference now is that it is becoming more freely available to end-users as a result of the growth in the number of fibre operators.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thinking big there, 3 million by 2020, when ADSL didn't even get close to a million in almost ten years.

MickeyD

RIP
To put this growth into perspective, in just seven years it is anticipated that 500 000 homes will have access fibre and by 2020 it could be as many as 3-million. This compared to 1,3-million homes that have adopted ADSL connectivity over a twelve year period.
This perspective is warped. You cannot compare "having access to Fibre" to "adopted ADSL connectivity". Apples and bananas ...

km2

Expert Member
Vumatel is targeting a further 200 000 homes, Frogfoot is aiming for 100 000, and a further 40 000 made up by other smaller providers. Combined, we could see approximately half a million homes with access to a fibre network by the end of this year.
I don't think one can add the numbers together like that, since these providers seem to like overlapping the same (rich) areas.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yup, flawed reasoning here. There are already over 3 million homes with adsl access but only about a million making use of it. You need to incentivise people to actually want to use it and most providers haven't been doing that.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
and how many of those 3 million will be people in so called upper class areas if thats the correct term to use?

MickeyD

RIP
Yup, flawed reasoning here. There are already over 3 million homes with adsl access but only about a million making use of it. You need to incentivise people to actually want to use it and most providers haven't been doing that.
I think you are using the number of active POTS lines as your base.

To really compare "fibre houses past" vs DSL acces, you would need to know the total number of houses with access to a copper line at nearby distribution point; i.e. by simply installing a dropwire and jack you can have DSL. That figure will be much higher than 3 million.

Swa

Honorary Master
I think you are using the number of active POTS lines as your base.

To really compare "fibre houses past" vs DSL acces, you would need to know the total number of houses with access to a copper line at nearby distribution point; i.e. by simply installing a dropwire and jack you can have DSL. That figure will be much higher than 3 million.
Yes it will. 3 million is simply a figure showing that access doesn't equal subscribers and it is thus meaningless to make such direct comparisons. Apples and bananas as you said.

MickeyD

RIP
Yes it will. 3 million is simply a figure showing that access doesn't equal subscribers and it is thus meaningless to make such direct comparisons. Apples and bananas as you said.
All it does is depress me when I think of the opportunity missed by Telkom by delaying the rollout of fibre to the home. They were so intent on "sweating their assets" to get the balance sheet right that they allowed deployed technology to bypass them.

FTTH could have easily been deployed in 2007 around the same time as the planning for the FIFA SWC started, using the cash from the Vodacom sale. Instead Telkom in their infinite wisdom decided to dish out nice bonuses and then spend R12 Billion in Nigeria. And lose it all. Imagine how many homes could have been provided with 'access' to fibre with that R12 Billion???