Fibre to the home (FTTH) can pay for itself

inferno

Who's willing to sign a 20+ year contract with Telkom for fibre?

At least we now know why Telkom wont consider it. LLU.

Last edited:

Valis

Expert Member
This is what I keep saying, spend the money now to roll out FTTH and it will more than pay for itself. Unfortunately most people are too short-sighted to see that. ^

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Well i assume just replacing copper with fiber to the home is not "that" easy as you would need the infrastructure like routers and such to be replaced as well. Lets be honest, Telkom will not do it on its own, it will be up to the ISPs or someone bigger and better than Telkom with deep pockets. And even then it will take years to get to everyone. We just have to hope our copper doesn't deteriorate and we can have 10mbit lines otherwise I don't see anything happening from Telkom.

DeadPool

The people at telkom are too short sighted. They need to think 1 step ahead, rolling out the fibre will help create further jobs which is exactly what this country needs. But consideration of the huge cost involved will have to be taken into account.

Obviously if telkom were to do this they would have to start small by doing this with the major cities 1st & expand as they go.
& just by the way copper does deteriorate thats why maintence is so high. Even if it doesnt deteriorate over the years, it will probably be stolen :p

optel

Telkom is planning on replacing the copper once their buddies have stolen enough of it. lol

zeyad 001

20 years to recover cost... Nahh

i say about 3 months with the cost of the tons of copper getting stolen every year.

Estimated R5 billion worth of copper is stolen. so 1.25 billion in 3 months...

Also the copper theft costs the economy about R30billion a year so that would be a significant boost all around.

RJMadCat

But if they have to budget and spend so much on fiber it means our bonus's at the end of the year is less... and we don't want less bonus, rather **** the consumers.

LabAnimal

Expert Member
Telkom will never do it - With LLU, it means they would have to share it with everybody at cost.... - won't happen! Another company will likely see the light and invest!

Wasn't there an article recently with some new player spouting FTTH via our plumbing?

zeyad 001

Telkom will never do it - With LLU, it means they would have to share it with everybody at cost.... - won't happen! Another company will likely see the light and invest!

Wasn't there an article recently with some new player spouting FTTH via our plumbing?
Yea its going to take them 5 years to finish the project of theirs.

confused2009

As stated in another article, Int access is not a problem we need a good terrestial network and fibre will do just the job plus think of the phone calls through fibre that would replace the need for outdated copper

j4sk

They can't do FTTH until they sort out their backhaul network. Pretty much any exchange that is not on metro ethernet (or whatever its called) and supporting 10MB ADSL, won't be able to support fibre.
I've also been saying that for years, replace copper with fibre and they would save bucket loads on stolen cables.
I really keep wondering what is actually holding back telkom, is it a lack of good coherent leadership? appeasing investors?

MickeyD

RIP
They can't do FTTH until they sort out their backhaul network. Pretty much any exchange that is not on metro ethernet (or whatever its called) and supporting 10MB ADSL, won't be able to support fibre.
I've also been saying that for years, replace copper with fibre and they would save bucket loads on stolen cables.
I really keep wondering what is actually holding back telkom, is it a lack of good coherent leadership? appeasing investors?
Capital funding.

ash376501

Due to the nature of our country, this will never become anymore than a naive dream.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Ah... This article tells that us what we have know for years.

Telkom will still take another 20 years to consider this.

BobJones

Expert Member
Any sign of LLU? Been pretty quiet on that form for a while now. I hope that doesn't mean another missed deadline and we only get to see the benefit in 2015...