Fibre-to-the-home in SA – what is open access?

Swa

Honorary Master
Open access is access to the physical infrastructure. Sure there can be access on a network level as well but without the first requirement it isn't open. Sadly we don't have open access yet.

Thor

Honorary Master
We are so far behind. I just want VDSL without the telephone bs

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Open access is access to the physical infrastructure. Sure there can be access on a network level as well but without the first requirement it isn't open. Sadly we don't have open access yet.
I'm not sure of the others, but LinkAfrica are rolling out in my area, and companies rent access by physical fiber strands - they run the one side in to the client's home, the other in to Teraco/PoP and you can have at it. LinkAfrica also rents it out month-to-month, not a contract basis. I think that's pretty open access.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
I'm not sure of the others, but LinkAfrica are rolling out in my area, and companies rent access by physical fiber strands - they run the one side in to the client's home, the other in to Teraco/PoP and you can have at it. LinkAfrica also rents it out month-to-month, not a contract basis. I think that's pretty open access.
Link Africa have wholesale agreements with lots of ISPs so yes they are pretty open access.

BTW - Contracts are becoming a thing of the past. Even Telkom are dumping them at the wholesale level.
Of course retailers can choose to offer a contract

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Link Africa have wholesale agreements with lots of ISPs so yes they are pretty open access.

BTW - Contracts are becoming a thing of the past. Even Telkom are dumping them at the wholesale level.
Of course retailers can choose to offer a contract
LinkAfrica have agreements with the layer-2 guys who light the fibre, the layer-2 guys have the wholesale agreements with the ISPs, it's proper open access. I'm doing a CCTV initiative in my area and am renting the physical fiber strand from linkafrica at a bargain basement rate, and a layer-2 provider is supplying a port for me at their POP for free to plug it in. Real open access opens up possibilities like that, and it's awesome.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
LinkAfrica have agreements with the layer-2 guys who light the fibre, the layer-2 guys have the wholesale agreements with the ISPs, it's proper open access. I'm doing a CCTV initiative in my area and am renting the physical fiber strand from linkafrica at a bargain basement rate, and a layer-2 provider is supplying a port for me at their POP for free to plug it in. Real open access opens up possibilities like that, and it's awesome.
Great. Which City/Suburb are you in?

CCTV can be a challenge.
Telkom haven't opened that part up yet but they will be forced to at some point

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Great. Which City/Suburb are you in?
Kloof, in KZN

CCTV can be a challenge.
Telkom haven't opened that part up yet but they will be forced to at some point
Telkom have sewn up a neighbouring area (Winston Park) by providing them a CCTV solution, but in exchange they had to sell their soul; they actively exclusively promote Telkom as a FTTH provider, so are basically Telkom salespeople that get paid peanuts (I've seen what it costs to provide the CCTV solution, it's not a lot).

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Kloof, in KZN

Telkom have sewn up a neighbouring area (Winston Park) by providing them a CCTV solution, but in exchange they had to sell their soul; they actively exclusively promote Telkom as a FTTH provider, so are basically Telkom salespeople that get paid peanuts (I've seen what it costs to provide the CCTV solution, it's not a lot).
Thanks
We have our own CCTV solution that we would like to plug into Fibre.
Telkom have already laid our FTTH Backbone...
Went well.

We gave no exclusivity to either the NOP or the ISP.
Having said that the NOP will be dominant because there is no other fibre.

We do promote the Fibre We don't promote any ISPs.
So we push the technology. If another NOP arrived we would push that.

The ISP is a straight competitive battle... as it should be

Swa

Honorary Master
Ah thanks. Didn't know this. The best I've seen before was Vumatel which rents out access with IPC on a per line basis but there's no access to the physical infrastructure with them.

Rabbit7766

Open access is access to the physical dark fibre (infrastructure) - 100% agreed.
we do have open access - LinkAfrica.co.za - dark fibre open access to any wholesale L2 provider. no limits on the number of layer 3 providers.