Fibre-to-the-home price comparison - Vumatel and Octotel join the price war

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Fibre price war — Vumatel and Octotel join the fight

Fibre network operators and Internet service providers (ISPs) in South Africa have slashed the price of fibre-to-the-home products in recent months.

Openserve started the price war in March when it upgraded speeds and cut prices on its fibre products. These changes came at no additional cost to its ISP partners.

Many fibre network operators followed, including Frogfoot, MetroFibre, and Herotel — increasing the speeds and cutting the prices of their fibre products.

Frogfoot permanently increased the line speeds of fibre packages of 50Mbps and below shortly after Openserve’s announcement.

Budza

Executive Member
35D/25U=
R100 less
5Mbps less upload
5Mbps more download

Moving down from old 30MB package.

I guess I'll be auto adjusted to the 50MB package for next month. I'll drop to the base package from there.

Nice. Competition = GOOD!

eddief1

Expert Member
Why no Herotel pricing? Guess it exposes the other FNO's greed.

randomcat

Expert Member
5e42tw.jpg

Hackson

1000Mbps for R1K is welcome. I think I can now pay Xbox games remotely. Not shooters but definitely stories.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm sure when Vumatel increased prices last year they thought it would be the standard oligopolistic behaviour and didn't bet on Operserve driving competition.

qinglung

Expert Member
So what's happening with Link Africa? No announcements :mad:

MetroFibre apparently acquired them, but not a peep regarding this or any changes in speed or price.

The Magster

Any mention of MWEB anywhere and what they're getting up to? Probably will increase their prices!!!

AirWolf

Honorary Master
What's the best bang for buck 1Gbps package?

Frogfoot dug the hell out of our local municipality "prioritising" Fibre over water, electricity or anything else that was already in the ground.

John Wick

Hi

Thanks for this article but after reading this I checked Vumatels prices with other ISP's and they are still more expensive, especially against Openserve.

I thought Vumatel was created to be a direct competitor in price and service to Openserve and both Vumatel and Openserve dominate the market when it comes to fibre.
Yet, Vumatel still seems to be more expensive.

I hope Vumatel re-looks at their prices vs fibre speeds. Octatel responded well to this price war.

I feel that Vumatel is using the pandemic to try and milk as much money as possible, instead of helping the people during this time by making fibre cheaper so it's more affordable and people have access to faster speeds as it is more needed now that people are working from home.

Attachments

• cool ideas - Vumatel.PNG
    cool ideas - Vumatel.PNG
    135.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Openserve - cool ideas.PNG
    Openserve - cool ideas.PNG
    158.8 KB · Views: 25

netstrider

Expert Member
Hi

Thanks for this article but after reading this I checked Vumatels prices with other ISP's and they are still more expensive, especially against Openserve.

I thought Vumatel was created to be a direct competitor in price and service to Openserve and both Vumatel and Openserve dominate the market when it comes to fibre.

I hope Vumatel re-looks at their prices vs fibre speeds. Octatel responded well to this price war.

I feel that Vumatel is using the pandemic to try and milk as much money as possible, instead of helping the people during this time by making fibre cheaper so it's more affordable and people have access to faster speeds as it is more needed now that people are working from home.
Those prices on the Cool Ideas website are obsolete as of 1st of July.

Granted, they are more expensive still than Afrihost but their prices have come down.

Swa

Honorary Master
Hi

They'll continue to be expensive as they accumulated a lot of debt with a lot of projects without a clear business plan to recoup it all.

The Magster

Due to financial constraints - these exist! - I am on the 10 down/10 up fibre package via Mweb/Vumatel at R689 per month for quite some time now. I am thankful that as from 1 August 2021 the speed will be 20 down/10 up at no extra cost...for now! Just today 30/6/2021 received an email stating this. Guess someday soon the price will increase again when a reason is made up, uh, found for this to occur.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Due to financial constraints - these exist! - I am on the 10 down/10 up fibre package via Mweb/Vumatel at R689 per month for quite some time now. I am thankful that as from 1 August 2021 the speed will be 20 down/10 up at no extra cost...for now! Just today 30/6/2021 received an email stating this. Guess someday soon the price will increase again when a reason is made up, uh, found for this to occur.
That is pricy - I see other's have 30 up and down for around R699 or less.