FibreCo national fibre network planned

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
...mobile operator Cell C, Dimension Data division Internet Solutions and Andile Ngcaba’s Convergence Partners have teamed up to build a R5bn, 12 000km national fibre-optic network. The three companies have formed a new entity, FibreCo, in which they are equal shareholders, to build and operate a long-haul terrestrial network based on open-access principles.
/snip
The initial phase, construction for which will take about two years, will focus on rolling out a 4 500km “redundant core ring” linking Gauteng, Cape Town and Durban to international cable landing stations — in Mtunzini on KwaZulu-Natal’s north coast, and at Yzerfontein and Melkbosstrand north of Cape Town.
http://www.techcentral.co.za/fibreco-to-take-on-sa-telecoms-giants/18907/

zamicro

Expert Member
Sounds more like competition to Dark Fibre Africa, as it is also an open access system.

Gimli

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DFA are not building a National Backbone. They concentrate more on distributing the network inside a Metro. Another difference is that DFA don't actually provide any service, they only provide the infrastructure and lease their fibre pairs to any ISP/Telecoms operator who needs it. Fibreco seems to aim to build a long haul network and provide services on it.

Anyway, exciting times!!

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
well yeah, it's not exactly fth :mad:
but perhaps cellc can give consumers cheaper, better mobile bandwidth while the local loop grinds to a halt.

Superjakes

Expert Member
DFA is involved in Metro fibre infrastructure (in and around cities). This is long distance backhaul - even mobile operators need to link their infrastructure somehow. When it comes to transmission, redundancy is always a good idea. There seems to be a number of those projects running at the moment.