Fibrehoods deploying aerial FTTH in Gauteng suburb

konfab

Honorary Master
The cameras will monitor the area and report suspicious activity, with CSS Tactical stating that it has seen a “92% reduction in criminal activity in residential areas” with the camera system.
Until the cameras get stolen :eek:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
This is a great way of doing it.

Cross subsidizing with the security business to keep costs down, while avoiding trenching altogether by going aerial.

siraman

Expert Member
Would love to see pictures of these aerial fiber deployments by fibrehoods,having in mind these unsightly deployments.

aerial fixed_solution 1.jpg

overhead-cables-940.jpg

kianm

Honorary Master
Now hopefully the cable thieves do not mistakenly cut those as well

ellyally

Expert Member
Until the cameras get stolen :eek:
Na, highly doubtful. Cameras are fairly high, basically inline with the fibre itself, which is telkom line height(unless trees etc, then height varies obviously). Security is dedicated vehicles, so, its not like other home security companies which have one vehicle covering multiple suburbs and taking 10min to get to you when alarms go off. They are always here, maybe a block away, 30-60sec response times. You'll be spotted and monitored(carrying your ladder:)) long before you get up the pole to a camera.

Now hopefully the cable thieves do not mistakenly cut those as well
Same as above, everyone and everything is monitored. Chances of someone getting up to cut a line before multiple security teams have them facedown is very unlikely.

Last edited:

koeksGHT

Dealer
Yuck, this is going to look terrible.
As opposed to Telkoms current copper infrastructure?

Just did costing for my area to fibre. R1.5m to trench everything vs R0.5m for aerial deployment.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm all for the Aerial Deployment.. its cheaper, can be done faster, and in many cases the poles and aerial cabling is already there....

semaphore

Honorary Master
This is a great way of doing it.

Cross subsidizing with the security business to keep costs down, while avoiding trenching altogether by going aerial.
Don't see the point, I drove through melville this morning place is being trenched like a muther ****er.

ellyally

Expert Member
My brother said the same pre install, he then came to visit and I said what do you think? He didn't even notice anything, I had to point out lines and cameras to him.

As koeks said... its no different from telkom, in fact its a hell of a lot neater imo, will take some pics this evening of area(if not today, will make time tomorrow to take a drive:)).

Last edited:

koeksGHT

Dealer
My brother said the same pre install, he then came to visit and I said what do you think? He didn't even notice anything, I had to point out lines and cameras to him.

As koeks said... its no different from telkom, in fact its a hell of a lot neater imo, will take some pics this evening of area(if not today, will make time tomorrow to take a drive:)).
May be neater cause you don't have to rip up driveways (visible damage completely gone in few years anyway) vs poles everywhere. Some providers stick with aerial because the cost benefits.

ellyally

Expert Member
May be neater cause you don't have to rip up driveways (visible damage completely gone in few years anyway) vs poles everywhere. Some providers stick with aerial because the cost benefits.
Yeah its about cost, one of the reasons I suppose I only pay R750pm for 100mb/300gig line.
I meant the 'hanging fibre and poles' looks neater than telecoms 'hanging copper and poles':)

siraman

Expert Member
will take some pics this evening of area(if not today, will make time tomorrow to take a drive:)).
Please do,can't wait.I sincerely believe that if done right aerial deployment should be the way to go in some part of the country with respects to fibre deployments, more so, in less concentrated areas(and...rural area?).

koeksGHT

Dealer
Yeah its about cost, one of the reasons I suppose I only pay R750pm for 100mb/300gig line.
I meant the 'hanging fibre and poles' looks neater than telecoms 'hanging copper and poles':)
Well when it's not done by Telkom ;)

F1 Fan

Expert Member
As opposed to Telkoms current copper infrastructure?

Just did costing for my area to fibre. R1.5m to trench everything vs R0.5m for aerial deployment.

Depends on your neighborhood currently. We have no aerial power lines or telephone lines. Everything is underground. So it we installed aerial fibre, you would definitely notice it.

Last edited:

mozez

I'm sorry to say but looking at how the aerial deployment was done in some of Craighall's spots, am glad my suburb is going the trenching route.