Sapphiron

Expert Member
I think it's pretty fair for people in this country to have a right to choose to not use something if they don't feel safe using it?

I fully support that statement, until such time you start infringing on the rights to health of others.

Then that argument is no longer valid, it needs better data to support your argument. We are not talking about choosing whether to eat bacon or not.

HartsockZA

It is my constitutional right, if you take my rights away you are no better than Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Castro, Xi Jinping, etc.

If you infringe on people's rights and make it harder to live then you will ultimately get resistance.

HartsockZA

Not had covid since the day they announced it, I've been in the cleanest to the scum of the earth dirtiest places. Nothing, DILLIGAF

HartsockZA

@HartsockZA

Yeah, I would have deleted it too ;)

But it’s sure taking you a while to come up with a better answer. And to be fair it shouldn’t be too hard.
It's better to write something proper than write something that came out Zuma's ass. Hopefully you'll survive the wait haha

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It is my constitutional right, if you take my rights away you are no better than Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Castro, Xi Jinping, etc.

If you infringe on people's rights and make it harder to live then you will ultimately get resistance.

Oh right, you’re going to lecture it? I never knew the virus recognised human rights.

I’m sure you’ll be fine.

HartsockZA

Oh right, you’re going to lecture it? I never knew the virus recognised human rights.

I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Nothing like Spring flu to get you all ready for the next season Haha btw edit: If I die, I friggin die so what? People that are afraid of death... you know that story

grok

Honorary Master
There was another time when having to carry a passport to prevent you infecting others was rather frowned upon. I guess times have changed.. images%20(6)_1631557400744.jpg

Park@82

Honorary Master
I'm vaccinated and I promise you this is a kak idea.

My concern is not with covid or the vaccine, it's beyond that, today it's covid tomorrow it's something else.

As said elsewhere, I have a feeling that some of those who are happily cheering all of this along may one day regret it.

Once this is implemented it may spread to other aspects of life. Think surveillance state. Think social credit system (I.e. China). Control.

A couple of months ago something like this would have been unthinkable:

"South Australia govt trials home quarantine app with facial recognition, GPS tracking"

"“confirm their location with regular check-ins” through a live face check-in feature that uses facial recognition and location verification.

It gives individuals 15 minutes to respond to the random location verification requests at their registered location."

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

This seems relevant today.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There was another time when having to carry a passport to prevent you infecting others was rather frowned upon. I guess times have changed..
What would that be?

hj007

Expert Member
As said elsewhere, I have a feeling that some of those who are happily cheering all of this along may one day regret it.

Once this is implemented it may spread to other aspects of life. Think surveillance state. Think social credit system (I.e. China). Control.

"South Australia govt trials home quarantine app with facial recognition, GPS tracking"

"“confirm their location with regular check-ins” through a live face check-in feature that uses facial recognition and location verification.

It gives individuals 15 minutes to respond to the random location verification requests at their registered location."

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Check-ins, like this?

1631558343128.png

I always thought such a thing couldn't happen. Now I'm not so sure...

neoprema

Executive Member
What happens when a vaccine or whatever medical product the government wants to enforce on you comes around and it DOES have side effects you don't like.... still going to say, yes sir, whatever you say sir, my body is not my own, it is yours to do with as you see fit now.

You giving up your rights NOW could have huge consequences in the future. You have essentially said you are cattle and the government can do anything to you in the future as long as it is seen to be for the greater good.......
Wow, u summed it up perfectly! :)
Also government is not going to force which headache pill I can take or whether I can pee at 1am or 5am. But it will intervene in a pandemic to maintain order - and I expect any government to do that.

neoprema

Executive Member
I

- Benjamin Franklin

Overreaction. Technology will allow better surveillance but this is to control a pandemic, not the whim of a madman. Facial recognition and similar tech is an amazing feat of tech that we need to put to good use. A pandemic is a great reason.
I would feel safer knowing there’s proper surveillance in place for our health. It’s not like they gonna be spying on you in the toilet

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I think the media is pulling vaccine passports out of proportion.
Not being vaccinated is not going to stop you from going to the supermarket or a restaurant, where for most part you still wear a mask.

But I think vaccine passports should be used as a last resort and perhaps as a starting point to get some of the more "high risk for infections" industries up and running again, eg Nightclubs, sport stadiums spectators, travelling back into SA without PCR requirement, etc.

Personally not a fan of the idea of a vaccine passport, but at the same time, I do see the benefits in very specific cases.

krycor

Honorary Master
I love how the anti vax people are also the same people who bitch about lockdowns, world countries not allowing people to go or come from SA with ease, etc.

And yet.. when country has a high vaccinated % we can open up, not have lockdowns, travel, host tourists etc.

Who is the dumb one?

Lastly this economist is losing credibility here.. where is the cost analysis vs high care cost & hospitality losses due to perceived infectious nature of country? Did gov say no grocery store shopping or no events of unvaccinated. Very different.. just saying.. how do u listen to an economist with such a limited analysis?

krycor

Honorary Master
What happens when a vaccine or whatever medical product the government wants to enforce on you comes around and it DOES have side effects you don't like.... still going to say, yes sir, whatever you say sir, my body is not my own, it is yours to do with as you see fit now.

You giving up your rights NOW could have huge consequences in the future. You have essentially said you are cattle and the government can do anything to you in the future as long as it is seen to be for the greater good.......

While this is used as the “greater” argument.. it comes with consequences which folk who “follow” this logic refuse to accept.

Kind like the whole I don’t want to wear a mask and you can’t make me. Well that’s cool.. except it means there will be cost & analysis on virus lineage and then culpable homicide charges to be laid. Basically like the condom vs hiv debate. Go look at the analysis of spread in Australia where the spreader event was track down to a mall passing.. yea.. walking past someone due to delta infectious nature.

Wrt THIS pandemic, are we prepared to have the hospitality industry permanently shutdown? Being isolated from rest of the world including no exit out of SA without perhaps extensive quarantine? Having lockdowns every few months there are variants? The present situation becoming the new normal while globally everyone gets on with things?