Fight crime, Africa tells SA

IamCanadian

Banned
Last Sunday it was the US Ambassador.

This Sunday it is the African Union’s elite watchdog body.

And so it continues:

The report reinforced US ambassador Eric Bost’s warning in a Sunday Times interview last week that crime could torpedo South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 Fifa World Cup.

The panel listed among the 15 key threats to South Africa’s stability:

1) The high level of violent crime, which is discouraging investment and causing many skilled people to leave the country;

2) High levels of crime against women and children, including rape and violence at schools;

3) Unemployment, which fuels crime and alienates young people from their society;

4) Black economic empowerment, which enriches too few people too much and encourages politicians to go into business;

5) The critical shortage of skills, which is not being addressed by an expensive education system that is not producing results; and

6) The immense gap between the rich and the poor and the division of society by race and class.

“Race relations remain brittle and sensitive. Many whites, coloureds and Indians feel alienated and marginalised. Some blacks, on the other hand, feel too little has changed,” said the report, written by a panel of seven eminent persons appointed under African Union rules to lead the peer review.

http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Article.aspx?id=333158

BTTB

Point 4 and 6 go hand in hand together.
All 6 points are co-related. No Jobs>Crime>Rich get richer>Poor get poorer>I am Ok, screw the next man.

One cannot deny that there are some very rich people in South Africa.
In the past whites, but now blacks as well. Actually it is probably easier for a well placed black individual to become rich overnight. Elephant Consortium to name a few scenarios.
Personally I am happy that more black people have money, but those with the money have lost the torch from the liberation that was all that 1994 presented to the masses.
Now almost 13 years on the Economy is doing OK, but it should not be just OK but better than just OK.

Much of the new found wealth is based on past infrastructure that has matured, restructured or been elevated by the growth in stock. Too much money chasing too few shares.

What major new investments are been created?
Recently I heard that the economy is producing only 10K new jobs per month this year, whereas last year it was 50K new jobs per month. So what has changed in the interim?
In my own mind I look back at 1998/9 when the Reserve Bank elevated interest rates to levels that crippled many people. 25%+!
As long as I am in business I will not forget those two years and I will never trust the Reserve Bank again to not do the same thing when the need/request so desires.

I think people are holding back. I am.
“Race relations remain brittle and sensitive. Many whites, coloureds and Indians feel alienated and marginalised. Some blacks, on the other hand, feel too little has changed
Nice summary.
The problems start when the Politicians in power blame these minority groups for their own shortcomings and the majority believe these spin-doctors that stir up the people. Propaganda in other words.
As far as "feel too little has changed", I must agree.
Many poor blacks, besides a RDP House, water and lights for a select few are struggling to make ends meet. These people need social upliftment, capacity building and sustainable development.
The Government has done a bit, but not nearly enough. The Government also needs to teach these poorer class people that sometimes just sitting around waiting for something to happen is not going to help either.

Last edited:

Skeptik

Banned
Isn't it ironic that Mbeki is getting criticised by the same peer review mechanism he was instrumental in setting up. Now instead of accepting the criticism, the SA government do a self-review which is completely opposite and reject the findings of the rest of Africa. Such arrogance is disturbing.