Fight over biggest and fastest fibre network claim in South Africa

whatwhat

Executive Member
Vodacom is beyond sad now.

The only articles from them in the last few months are ASA complaints and reminders that they did something first in a lab environment.

abandonallhope

Expert Member
So they're having a fight about the fastest and most epic fibre network that basically nobody can use ?

hahahaha, ok

j4ck455

Executive Member
The ASA was not convinced by Telkom’s arguments. It said the sources cited by Telkom to substantiate its “biggest fibre network claims” were [highlight]not reliable[/highlight].

[highlight]Telkom cited a Department of Communications document[/highlight], which states that “Telkom’s network is the most extensive, connecting virtually every city and town”.

In the past Telkom made claims about having a 144000km fibre optic network (IIRC) which is believable, but I have to wonder if the Department of Communications used Telkom itself as the source instead of an independently audited assessment of the extent of Telkom's fibre optic network, which Telkom is now using to substantiate its own marketing claims, effectively creating a circular reference that is "not reliable".

MickeyD

RIP
In the past Telkom made claims about having a 144000km fibre optic network (IIRC) which is believable, but I have to wonder if the Department of Communications used Telkom itself as the source instead of an independently audited assessment of the extent of Telkom's fibre optic network, which Telkom is now using to substantiate its own marketing claims, effectively creating a circular reference that is "not reliable".
I wonder if Telkom have finally completed their in-house centralized fibre network database detailling EVERY fibre they have, whether lit or unlit?

j4ck455

Executive Member
I wonder if Telkom have finally completed their in-house centralized fibre network database detailling EVERY fibre they have, whether lit or unlit?

I would actually like to know how much dark fibre is included in Telkom's marketing claims. Telkom rolled out fibre in my area towards the end of last year and the fibre is still dark.

It's also interesting that Telkom's retail face appears to be marketing the fibre optic network and making claims about the extent thereof as opposed to OpenServe as a wholesale fibre optic network operator, isn't there supposed to be the illusion of a two-faced separation between wholesale and retail?

MickeyD

RIP
I would actually like to know how much dark fibre is included in Telkom's marketing claims. Telkom rolled out fibre in my area towards the end of last year and the fibre is still dark.
That 140k number has been floating around since before FTTH rolled out...

It's also interesting that Telkom's retail face appears to be marketing the fibre optic network and making claims about the extent thereof as opposed to OpenServe as a wholesale fibre optic network operator, isn't there supposed to be the illusion of a two-faced separation between wholesale and retail?
nail --> head

j4ck455

Executive Member
That 140k number has been floating around since before FTTH rolled out...

Yep, that number was definitely floated before the FTTH rollout, I would expect Telkom to have even more accurate records of how much fibre optic has been rolled out since that claim was made, oddly enough no actual figure in kms seems to be marketed (for example 'more than 200000km' or even 'more than 140000km').

MickeyD

RIP
Yep, that number was definitely floated before the FTTH rollout, I would expect Telkom to have even more accurate records of how much fibre optic has been rolled out since that claim was made, oddly enough no actual figure in kms seems to be marketed (for example 'more than 200000km' or even 'more than 140000km').

The distance from point A to point B is 1km.

You install a cable consisting of 144 fibre threads between the two points.

What is the total fibre length?

koeksGHT

Dealer

So they count per strand, may as well lay 1000 thread fibre and claim biggest network.

j4ck455

Executive Member

The combined fibre optic strand length for 144 strands over a distance of 1km would be 144km.

CloudAttached

Can anyone please tell me how DARK FIBER AFRICA works, We have a new building DFA BOX on wall but no one can tell me at Telkom how much it will cost because on Telkom's system it shows no Fiber. The other Companies want's to Charge R14000 per month for 100Meg, 1 to 10 ratio and 14 gig fair usage policy. How can Telkom say R1500 per month for fiber to business. I need fiber to our office at a good price please help?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Can anyone please tell me how DARK FIBER AFRICA works, We have a new building DFA BOX on wall but no one can tell me at Telkom how much it will cost because on Telkom's system it shows no Fiber. The other Companies want's to Charge R14000 per month for 100Meg, 1 to 10 ratio and 14 gig fair usage policy. How can Telkom say R1500 per month for fiber to business. I need fiber to our office at a good price please help?

Simple, go to the DFA web page and contact them. They will then tell you what products they have for business. They should also be able to tell you if they have an arrangement with Telkom or any other ISPs.

Going direct to Telkom is not the way to tackle this issue.

DFA is in the first instance, a dark fibre provider, offering fibre to other licensed operators, as well providing their own connectivity packages.
The packages vary depending on where in the country you are.

The website is www.dfafrica.co.za and their main office number is +27 12 443 1000.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Oh they do have more accurate records. Even that number of 144 000 km is a fudged number.
And yes in essence that network now "belongs to" OpenServe and not Telkom Retail.

And yes Telkom DOES have the most extensive backbone fibre network, which does NOT mean last mile fibre.

And yes it is quite a trick to be able to decode what that 144 000 km figure means.

Cable-Km ?
Fibre-pair km?
Fibre-km?

Enjoy trying to work it out. I know what the answer is BUT there is an NDA that prevents me from unpacking the detail any further.

In essence the ASA is correct that Telkom did use the information incorrectly in their advertising campaign as the total figure does not have a direct bearing on what is available in the last mile.