Fighting Piracy in South Africa with the law

ingeon

To hell with Fukushima, this is scarier!

I learned a new swearword :p

Aha, she`s a Microsoft guru. Now it makes sense. It`s those damn open source dreams she`s been having.
Some poeple get to study numbers. xxxx jobs and xxx billion Rand. Right...

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Nice thumbsuck of figures. As a person who legally buys his games etc, I'll still take digital foreign distribution over local any day, sorry.

Wasp_21

Expert Member
How about we lodge a complaint at the Competitions Commission against the Software industry for price colluding and price fixing! Put that in your pipe an' smoke it!

fluffy54

Hang on. 10% drop creates 1650 new jobs? That's not exactly a big change. These piracy back and forth's always say the same stuff.

kds

According to a self funded study I did, increasing SA's piracy level across all sectors (software, manufacturing etc) to between 95% and 98% will result in an increase of 2 000 000 jobs, an increase in revenue of
4 9 trillion and complete shrinking of the current account deficit to zero.

Wanna see my stats? :p:p:p

oRiX

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

So they estimate how much pirated software is going about, then again estimate how many copies are being made, and estimate how much that is all worth on the assumption that every single person who has a hypothetical copy of a hypothetically pirated software can actually afford or is willing to pay the required price of that software...wow, that about sums it up i think.

included in this is the 1600 jobs (probably measured as entry level positions to make the numbers more impressive) so lets say R5000-R7000 per month
I'm almost 100% certain that money would be used to increase pay packages of current execs considerring the +R1million bonuses they give themselves every year.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
Cracking down on piracy will not create jobs, probably the opposite. The current laws are quite adequate, there's no compelling reason presented here as to why the software industry needs any sort of special protection over and above the existing IP/copyright laws.

99% of the licensing fees are to foreign companies, anyway, so I really doubt that it will make any difference to the economy, apart from maybe a couple of the international vendors hiring a few extra local salespeople.

Just the usual BSA PR spin.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
While I must concede that the jabs about the self-funded study are funny, one has to give the IDC the benefit of the doubt, I think. If they fudged the numbers in any way (and it comes out) their reputation as an independent research firm would be ruined.

Explanations of their methodology is available in quite a bit of detail online (http://www.bsa.org/globalstudy - link didn't work when I tested it just now, but that's where it is supposed to be). That said, I'm sure there will be many questions about their methodology for those who choose to delve a little deeper into the BSA's study.

For instance, here's something from a previous article I did on the topic (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/softw...t-the-economy-Scare-tactics-massive-loss.html - linked to in the latest article as well)

Chief Research Officer at the IDC, John Gantz, explained the methodology used to obtain the numbers in a video published on the BSA website.

In his explanation, Gantz confirmed that the commercial value of the pirated software is obtained by multiplying an average system price with the number of pirated units installed as determined by their survey and extrapolations. No mention is made of those who would simply not use the software if the option to pirate wasn't available to them.

Necksy

Job creation is far fetched in this article. BSA have no clue how to motivate the need for piracy crackdown and they bring in jobs to the table. What a waste.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
(BSA) said that ten point drop in South Africa's piracy rate from 35% to 25% would result in 1650 new high tech jobs and R9 billion in “new economic activity.”
Also, 76.32% of all statistics are made up on the spot and 97.34% of all articles mentioning the BSA are tedious.

They'd look a lot more credible if they stopped pulling numbers out of their asses like that.

ooooh....I have an idea. How about we criminalize bullshts stats?

Job creation is far fetched in this article.
Not that the politicians voting on the bill will notice.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Evidently she's taken. Now stop being a creepy stalker >.>

Although... you'd think a "Piracy Manager" would know how to use privacy settings.

Eish! If she graduated from High School in 1998 that makes her about 32 - not much experience eh!

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
More importantly is it just me or is that chick really hot...sigh...like really hot

wish she would smile at me like that.

groengras

Uhm, why use proprietery software.... what is wrong with *nix stuff... its free, more importantly it works and is secure.

onlyme

While I must concede that the jabs about the self-funded study are funny, one has to give the IDC the benefit of the doubt, I think. If they fudged the numbers in any way (and it comes out) their reputation as an independent research firm would be ruined.

Explanations of their methodology is available in quite a bit of detail online (http://www.bsa.org/globalstudy - link didn't work when I tested it just now, but that's where it is supposed to be). That said, I'm sure there will be many questions about their methodology for those who choose to delve a little deeper into the BSA's study.

For instance, here's something from a previous article I did on the topic (http://mybroadband.co.za/news/softw...t-the-economy-Scare-tactics-massive-loss.html - linked to in the latest article as well)

Giving them the benefit of the doubt is all good and well, but where are these numbers found?

R 9,000,000,000.00 per year? that's a big number

Software margins are low, even 20% would be considered huge, so for the R 9 Billion to be accurate software sales lost to piracy would have to be R 45 Billion, and since most support is outsourced to international call centers, trying to offset some of the money to support is unrealistic.

And all of that from only a 10% drop in piracy?

But they don't claim that the money would come from software sales, but from economic activity which makes the numbers even more unrealistic, Economic Activity is defined as the production and distribution of goods and services.

In short they are claiming the if piracy drops by 10% Businesses and individuals throughout the country are going to dig R 9 Billion out from under their mattresses and start spending it. What they don't get is that the money has already been spent, people don't download a R 4,000.00 piece of software and then tuck the money int a cookie jar, they spend it somewhere else.

What does all this mean, in the event that the numbers are actually correct it simply means that money already spent in one sector will now be spent in another, and since the majority of software money exits the country, the overall impact on the economy will be negative not positive.

The same applies to the 1600 jobs, since the money is simply moving from one sector to another, there won't be 1600 new jobs, just 1600 other jobs. add to that the average IT salary being higher than the average waiters salary for example, and it means that to create the 1600 "new" jobs we would probably end up losing 3000 existing jobs.

Piracy is Illegal and we should be paying for software, but making up statistics with no bases in reality, or even worse selling statistics without painting the whole picture is not the right way to go about changing things.

onlyme

Uhm, why use proprietery software.... what is wrong with *nix stuff... its free, more importantly it works and is secure.

Agreed, We use open source software wherever we can, however "more importantly it works and is secure", is not always the case, in fact open source software by definition can not be secure, if I want to find a loophole in your security I simply need to download the source code and find it. the fact is that there are much fewer reports of *nix viruses, worms, etc because there are so few *nix users compared to win32, there have been some major *nix security issues in that past that have been widely reported, and unlike Microsoft who tend to release a patch in as short a time as possible, these holes usually take 4 - 6 months to get patched. but that's a topic for another discussion.