Finance Minister Tito Mboweni rubbishes Tokyo Sexwale's claims about 'stolen billions'

deesef

Expert Member
Now you are making the Guptas sound second rate. Those guys were really convincing :ROFL:
Sorry. I should have said "Guptaral accent", not "gutteral accent"...

My funniest Gupteral accent call was from Standard Bank Security section. This Gupta said that my account had been hacked and a plane ticket to Nigeria had been purchased. He obviously needed all my banking details before he could reverse the transaction.

I said please don't cancel my plane ticket, because I was flying out on Saturday. Man, did this guy get excited!!! He insisted that it was fraud and that he MUST reverse it. I was adamant that I had booked the ticket. Eventually I thought that he was heading to have a stroke. It was hilarious :popcorn::D:popcorn:

Milano

Honorary Master
Sorry. I should have said "Guptaral accent", not "gutteral accent"...

My funniest Gupteral accent call was from Standard Bank Security section. This Gupta said that my account had been hacked and a plane ticket to Nigeria had been purchased. He obviously needed all my banking details before he could reverse the transaction.

I said please don't cancel my plane ticket, because I was flying out on Saturday. Man, did this guy get excited!!! He insisted that it was fraud and that he MUST reverse it. I was adamant that I had booked the ticket. Eventually I thought that he was heading to have a stroke. It was hilarious :popcorn::D:popcorn:
:ROFL:
Wish you had a recording. Flipping awesome playing those fools :ROFL:

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

Looks like an ANC trait:

Resources and energy minister Gwede Mantashe has promoted a mineral called “Hazenile” to investors at a mining conference in Australia this week.

The only problem, as pointed out by Business Day, is that “Hazenile” is a made-up mineral from an April Fools’ joke.

Hazenile was written about on the Smart Energy International website on 1 April 2019 – with large red text clearly stating it was a joke article for the day.

This did not stop the South African government department from putting it in Mantashe’s speech, stating it was excellent news for the battery industry.

The minister told investors at the conference that Hazenile was “discovered in abundance in the area between the crypte and throne room caves in the Congo Caves in the Western Cape.

The blatant misspelling of Cango Caves as “Congo” was also copied directly into Mantashe’s speech.

A department spokesperson said it is unfortunate that the focus is now on Mantashe’s mention of Hazenile – which the spokesperson called “fake news”.

Business Day reported that the massive error could further damage South Africa’s reputation.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

TheChamp

Honorary Master

Someone has misappropriated more than R110 trillion – mostly in gold – secured in South African banks according to "proof" presented on WhatsApp groups and social media on Tuesday. Suspect "documents" widely circulated on Tuesday suggest that someone has misappropriated more than R110 trillion – the equivalent of more than 50 years of government spending – in South Africa, most of it in gold.

One letter lays claim to amounts that include $1.1 trillion, the equivalent of some R16 trillion, supposedly on deposit with First National Bank. That is a sum 54 times larger than the market value of the bank's parent company. It is also roughly the value of every company listed on the JSE.

But most of the wealth would be in the form of "100,000 metric tons" of gold supposedly on deposit with the Reserve Bank since 1966, though not necessarily in physical form. At current prices that has a theoretical value of more than R80 trillion, but could be tough to sell without collapsing the world gold market, representing about half the gold ever mined, or just about the weight of all gold jewellery ever made.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

But most of the wealth would be in the form of "100,000 metric tons" of gold supposedly on deposit with the Reserve Bank since 1966,

According to the World Gold Council, there are currently around 184,000 tonnes sitting in bank vaults, government reserves and personal collections. That sounds like an awful lot, until you realise that just one cubic metre of the stuff weighs over 19 tonnes.

So, 54% of the worlds gold is sitting in SA's Reserve Bank? Why isn't SA the richest country in the world then?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
But most of the wealth would be in the form of "100,000 metric tons" of gold supposedly on deposit with the Reserve Bank since 1966,

According to the World Gold Council, there are currently around 184,000 tonnes sitting in bank vaults, government reserves and personal collections. That sounds like an awful lot, until you realise that just one cubic metre of the stuff weighs over 19 tonnes.

So, 54% of the worlds gold is sitting in SA's Reserve Bank? Why isn't SA the richest country in the world then?
The ANC has somehow managed to steal all of it without anyone noticing a thing, it even took one of their own to notice this grand theft.

I know admiring criminals is frowned upon but I do at times find myself unwittingly admiring just how efficient the great liberation movement is, and yes I am ashamed of this so I don't I need a lecture.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
The ANC has somehow managed to steal all of it without anyone noticing a thing, it even took one of their own to notice this grand theft.

I know admiring criminals is frowned upon but I do at times find myself unwittingly admiring just how efficient the great liberation movement is, and yes I am ashamed of this so I don't I need a lecture.

My question is how is it possible that SA had 54% of the worlds gold in the Reserve bank?

surface

Honorary Master
R110 trillion? Has Mr. Sexwale/anyone confirmed that this money (or gold/paper gold) existed in the said fund before shouting 'Its gone' ?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
R110 trillion? Has Mr. Sexwale/anyone confirmed that this money (or gold/paper gold) existed in the said fund before shouting 'Its gone' ?
The excitement that comes over you when stumble across some incriminating evidence against your enemy and the the shame that engulfs you when it dawns on you that you might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Maybe Tokyo should just accept the WMC puppet is just too good for him.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
The excitement that comes over you when stumble across some incriminating evidence against your enemy and the the shame that engulfs you when it dawns on you that you might have got the wrong end of the stick.

Which WMC Puppet?

surface

Honorary Master

:ROFL: :ROFL:

I was really wondering about mental state of Mr. Sexwale after reading this statement.
Among the many eyebrow-raising parts of the tale, the amount claimed on deposit with Standard Bank exceeds – by around seven times – the total of all assets held by all South African banks collectively.
Mr. Sexwale has given absolutely no details. Since when these 2 knew about this? When did he came across this "theft"? Did he notify police since he was apparently one of the two in charge of the said fund?

Nothing - just running to media.

According to Sexwale, President Cyril Ramaphosa and former president Jacob Zuma knew about the funds which had mysteriously vanished.