Firefox 4 now in Northern Sotho, Afrikaans and South African English

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
How do you translate and English program into South African English?

That's kif hey my Bru! :p

adrianx

Expert Member
How do you translate and English program into South African English?

That's kif hey my Bru! :p
I think it's obvious things like colour vs. color, but strange anomalies like Trash (used in SA) vs. Wastebasket and Mom (also SA standard) vs. Mum. Not that Mom has anything to do with the price of eggs....

BearCruz

I think it's obvious things like colour vs. color, but strange anomalies like Trash (used in SA) vs. Wastebasket and Mom (also SA standard) vs. Mum. Not that Mom has anything to do with the price of eggs....
huh?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using MyBroadband Android App

BearCruz

Ok cool. Got what you saying now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using MyBroadband Android App

snobee

SA English is not purely UK or US, it's a bit mixed up.
Well, as SA English has been traditionally a lot closer to UK English, I would tend to think that the guys translating into SA English have a pretty easy job :)

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Been using FF in Afrikaans since the very first version. Fantastic job Translate.org!

grok

Honorary Master
But .. but .. there's no word for that in Pedi.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Meh! I have been using Opera in Afrikaans for years now, and Firefox has been Afrikaans since V2 if I recall correctly. I love Instaanbedieneropstelling (Proxy Server Configuration).

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Why would anyone actually want to use their browser in their native tongue? I've always found that when you change to another language things get confusing.
I prefer English for all things IT related, always tought my fellow countrymen felt the same :)

Want *** weet die dag toe ek hoor 'n "scanner" is 'n aftaster het ek geweet hierdie *** ganie vir my werk nie... As hulle 'n scanner 'n Jurie-Els genoem het, was ek in.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That is very typical to South Africa. We expect all things electronic to be in English. In Europe you do not get that, all electronics are set to German, French or Italian depending on who uses it. No one just leaves it on English.
I prefer Afrikaans where I can. My FireFox and Opera browsers are Afrikaans as well as Total Commander and a few others apps. If you are not going to use it in our native language we are leaving our native language behind.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
That is very typical to South Africa. We expect all things electronic to be in English. In Europe you do not get that, all electronics are set to German, French or Italian depending on who uses it. No one just leaves it on English.
I prefer Afrikaans where I can. My FireFox and Opera browsers are Afrikaans as well as Total Commander and a few others apps. If you are not going to use it in our native language we are leaving our native language behind.
That's very true.
It does however have its pitfalls. I personally just prefer to put the idea of "easier globalisation" before my need to preserve my native language.
It's really tough when you visit one of these European countries and they're so set against using English. It would actually make for an interesting discussion. To English, or not to English :)

cozinsky

Expert Member
I can't care less about Afrikaans. To use Afrikaans in an IT environment is just silly. There are simply no terms available in Afrikaans for the English terms. This inevitably results in abominable word concoctions which no one understands. What a waste of time and energy to translate as I am sure that 99% of Afrikaans users which stick to English. But I guess there will always be stubborn purists which will suffer in silence to make a point. What a joke.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I'm not much of a language preservation fundie myself. I just don't see the point. What are we trying to conserve here? All languages change over time and that's a fact. I love using Afrikaans to communicate at home, but once in the work place I don't see the need as it just adds another level of compartementalisation that I'm happy to do without. I also don't like the stereotypes associated with Afrikaans people, granted, all cultures suffer from stereotypes, the problem is just I agree with a lot of the Afrikaans stereotypes and that's a bad thing. Just look at how Afrikaans has changed over the years anyway, it would be interesting to know what percentage of words I use when speaking Afrikaans are English words. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the 30% mark.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
After you have used Afrikaans in software you become much more fluent in it. Sure when I do documentation on the software we develop or just write an email it is always in English because that is the language we do business in. But when I use my browser, file manager and PHP Admin I use Afrikaans. Not only does it expand your knowledge of the language but you start to think in your native language - which is good.

I do not see this as a trend that will take off. My best friend struggles to speak good English but he is completely lost when I change his Total Commander or FireFox to Afrikaans. For me again it is hard when it is in English because I have become used to using these applications in Afrikaans.