Firefox 4 now in Northern Sotho, Afrikaans and South African English

McT

The Humble Scot!
Great news for us Saffers :)

I wonder if it'll have words like veld, boerewors, braai, biltong and other words commonly used in South African English?

MVGL

Why would anyone actually want to use their browser in their native tongue? I've always found that when you change to another language things get confusing.

We did a MS Server Setup in Shenzen last year in Traditional Chinese. Man that was confusing. We actually had a spare server which we did the same setup on in English and just replicated the "clicks" on the chinese one.

Still hell of a confusing task especially when you click on the wrong thing.

cozinsky

Expert Member
I'm not much of a language preservation fundie myself. I just don't see the point. What are we trying to conserve here? All languages change over time and that's a fact. I love using Afrikaans to communicate at home, but once in the work place I don't see the need as it just adds another level of compartementalisation that I'm happy to do without. I also don't like the stereotypes associated with Afrikaans people, granted, all cultures suffer from stereotypes, the problem is just I agree with a lot of the Afrikaans stereotypes and that's a bad thing. Just look at how Afrikaans has changed over the years anyway, it would be interesting to know what percentage of words I use when speaking Afrikaans are English words. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the 30% mark.

I could not have put it better myself.

wayfarer

Expert Member
I think translating software, or any utility for that matter, into other languages plays an important role in society, especially amongst those who feel strongly about their own cultures. It promotes the preservation of that culture, as language is inextricably linked to culture. It is useful to also be proficient in a language that is considered to be universal, as English is. This will serve the purpose of facilitating communication in the global community.

gerasmus

Wat de *** is Suid-Afrikaanse Engels ? Volgens my is daar geen verkil tussen Uk en ZA Engels. What is the difference between South African and UK English ? Only the accent. I lived 10 years in London and worked (around Canary Wharf and The City) at big banks (JP Morgan, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, London Clearing House, etc) in their robotic operated corporate IT departments. The zombie robots are offcourse your typical braindead-stare-through-the-wall-of-a-Tube-train-tunnel Londoners. Never could I decern the difference between South African "English" and British. English is English. If its Aussie or American. What the hell is the difference ? In software I think there is a standard English used by everyone. I don't see Microsoft or Ubuntu replacing the Start/Apps button of (example) the Aussie version with a "G'day" button.

En vir al die ou Afrikanertjes hier, waarom surf julle nie ook naar enige website met 'n .nl agteraan. Ongeveer ALLE programme is ook in Nederlands beskikbaar. Indien julle dit nie weet, meer als 90% van Afrikaanse woorde is ook in gebruik in Nederlands. My PC is totaal in Nederlands. En waarom dan niet ?

adrianx

Expert Member
What the hell is wrong with translating software? Do you people have hangups, or what? If someone wants to use their (own personal) computers in Klingon, then why not?

I'm confused. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit:
Robot - Traffic Light
Soccer - Football
Braai - BBQ
Daddy Long Legs (spider) - (something else)

..................................... dot dot ....... dot .....

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
surprized that zulu and xhosa are not there, they are the 2 most spoken first languages in the country

Skitter

Are there really so many Sotho internet users (who can't speak English) to warrant this? :erm:

Yenolo

So the South African version will have 'check it out' instead of 'view' at the top of the browser. 'History' will be re-writen to suit, and 'help' will be replaced with 911?