Firewall to monitor internet traffic and usage over a network

Eddie D

Hi

Can anyone assist. Is there any open source / freeware software that we can use as a firewall.
We would like to place this pc between the router and the switch.
Requirements of the firewall are to do the following:
Monitor internet usage of each PC and be able to pull reports, such as what sites were visited by each user.
How much time was spent on each site and also how much data each user has used.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

VanillaBox

Expert Member
Good luck with that for “free”.

Most of the free or open source solutions would give you a overview, but you wouldn’t be able to drill down into detail like I think you want.

Most of the bigger network equipment vendors have some product that does DPI, but you will have to pay for the detailed reporting, that is normally a monthly or yearly fee.

Treat the cause not the symptoms. Enforce a policy in the company, if they don’t listen, give warnings. Or, get a router that does QoS and get cheap broadband that you share for all the non work related traffic.

If you get this all-in-one solution for free, please share, because that is a headache for most of my customers.

ItherNiT

Most likely you can have a look at pfsense (i think you can add snorkel its a DPI addon). I don't have any experience in pfsense (yet), but it does look like it has great community support.

I'm currently using a unifi USG for my DPI and its not exactly the best.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I hope you have consent for this.
Why would you need consent to monitor a business connection?
Assuming of course that it is business related.
Does your company need your consent to monitor email etc? Nope they dont, its a business tool and they have the right to monitor it for abuse.

eg2505

Honorary Master
dont know if you'll go for this,

our one site has a standard PC with 2 NIC's, and this is a firewall, running PFsense.
apparently quite configurable and robust, and runs on a standard desktop PC with 2 NIC's

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Why would you need consent to monitor a business connection?
Assuming of course that it is business related.
Does your company need your consent to monitor email etc? Nope they dont, its a business tool and they have the right to monitor it for abuse.
Only if employees are aware of being monitored. If not, it's illegal.

krieg

Expert Member
PFsense or RouterOS with a license on the PC.

killerbyte

Expert Member
I recommend downloading Sophos XG Home Edition which is a great free firewall, licensed till 2999.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Its a pretty backwards company if they dont have that in the AUP's. This assumes that they even have AUP's.
Not always. Many businesses aren't aware what the legalities around it is.
If it's not in the Company Policy as of yet, then a simple Memo could be sent to staff to inform them of the new rules/changes.
The AUP's can then be updated accordingly.
There's no issue with Companies doing monitoring. There is an issue when employees are monitored without knowing about it.

To the OP:
My suggestion is Untangle.
Please send me a PM if you want to discuss the product with me :)