First Airbus A380 Jumbos Head For Scrap Heap

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
A380_On_Ground-625x350.jpg

................Singapore Airlines got the planes in 2007, on a ten-year lease from Dr. Peters, a German aircraft leasing company. At the end of the lease, the aircraft were repainted and returned to Dr. Peters during the last quarter of 2017. They were stored at an airfield in the French Pyrenees while the company made a concerted effort to find a new operator. Unfortunately, despite reports that the aircraft were bound for Portuguese aircraft operator Hi Fly, a buyer has not been found.

“After extensive as well as intensive negotiations with various airlines such as British Airways, Hi Fly and Iran Air, Dr Peters Group has decided to sell the aircraft components and will recommend this approach to its investors,” the German firm told Reuters on Monday..............
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2018/06/06/first-airbus-a380-jumbos-head-for-scrap-heap/#1ca9050e1d65

eg2505

Honorary Master
sad, did think a low cost carrier would buy them,

but correct me if im wrong ockie, one of the olderst A380's around?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
sad, did think a low cost carrier would buy them,

but correct me if im wrong ockie, one of the olderst A380's around?
I dont understand the question? Are you asking the age of the oldest A380 that was in commercial service? If so, then it would be 11 years.

konfab

Honorary Master
Airbus must be on suicide watch.

“After extensive as well as intensive negotiations with various airlines such as British Airways, Hi Fly and Iran Air, Dr Peters Group has decided to sell the aircraft components and will recommend this approach to its investors,” the German firm told Reuters on Monday..............
BA's oldest aircraft is a 747, registration G-BNLK, which it received on May 4, 1990 – a couple of months before the England football team's World Cup heroics. No UK airline is using older planes than Jet2, however.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/oldest-passenger-plane-still-in-service/

BA would rather keep flying a 28 year old 747 than lease the A380 which is 17 years younger. That is just sad.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Airbus must be on suicide watch.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/oldest-passenger-plane-still-in-service/

BA would rather keep flying a 28 year old 747 than lease the A380 which is 17 years younger. That is just sad.
Well, those 747's are pretty much paid for already and with the low oil price it was economical and profitable to keep on flying old paid up 747's and A340's. Now with the oil price going up that might reprieve in not having to switch over to more fuel efficient yet pricey new airliners is coming to a end.....unless a reverse in the oil price is on the cards.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I dont understand the question? Are you asking the age of the oldest A380 that was in commercial service? If so, then it would be 11 years.
yes, sorry, was looking to know the age of the oldest A380,
apparently its this and another one?

so even the mighty can get scrapped,

sometimes I just think what a waste this is, how much money and materials went into building these things,
and here they are parked in a desert about to be thrown away.

I mean how much coke cans could be made from the aluminum, how much artwork, can be made from the plastic,

even the overhead lockers can be recycled to toy-boxes, even the scrap plastic, can be shredded and melted by an extruder and 3d printed into something useful.

trying to find that series by kevin mccolud where they took a A320, and recycled as much of it as possible,
very labour intensive sure, but much better for the environment

just thinking, we have a employment issues here in SA, park them locally, rip them apart by hand,
and Im sure our street hawkers would find many cool uses for the bits of the plane.

eg2505

Honorary Master
found it:

why cant they do this:
[video=youtube;RdoNE5s31OA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdoNE5s31OA[/video]

konfab

Honorary Master
Well, those 747's are pretty much paid for already and with the low oil price it was economical and profitable to keep on flying old paid up 747's and A340's. Now with the oil price going up that might reprieve in not having to switch over to more fuel efficient yet pricey new airliners is coming to a end.....unless a reverse in the oil price is on the cards.
They would most likely move to 777s or 787s if there was a high oil price.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
They would most likely move to 777s or 787s if there was a high oil price.
Indeed. The A380 is very efficient (if you have a high capacity layout and you can actually fill the plane), but with it being a quad it still is less efficient compared to your new generation twins and the twins are much easier to fill with bums on seats. I love the A380, but realistically I guess I have to admit that its time is coming to a end. :(

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Heavy AIRFREIGHT ?

Indeed. The A380 is very efficient (if you have a high capacity layout and you can actually fill the plane), but with it being a quad it still is less efficient compared to your new generation twins and the twins are much easier to fill with bums on seats. I love the A380, but realistically I guess I have to admit that its time is coming to a end. :(
FREIGHT -- ANYONE ?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
This is what happens when accountants are in charge of companies..

konfab

Honorary Master
This is what happens when accountants are in charge of companies..
I think it was more due to the fact that Boeing actually met customer demands with smaller aircraft whilst Airbus tried to address a problem customers didn't have.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
I think it was more due to the fact that Boeing actually met customer demands with smaller aircraft whilst Airbus tried to address a problem customers didn't have.
Yup, simple case of supply and demand... Boeing read the market right, Airbus didn't.

But it didn't help any that the A380's size required modifications to be made to airports to accommodate it... nor the engine scare.

konfab

Honorary Master
Yup, simple case of supply and demand... Boeing read the market right, Airbus didn't.

But it didn't help any that the A380's size required modifications to be made to airports to accommodate it... nor the engine scare.
I find it quite funny that the Americans beat the Europeans by making a smaller and more fuel efficient product.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I actually was excited the first time I was flying on an Airbus A380. After the flight though I decided never to fly on them again. Unfortunately nothing to do with the aircraft. Just that the sheer size and amount of people needing to get on and baording and getting luggage with hundreds of passengers, was just something that annoyed me. I would rather fly a smaller plane which makes it easier to board and leave off of

ForceFate

Honorary Master
FREIGHT -- ANYONE ?

It would have to be redesigned if it was to compete in the same space as Antonov An-225 ie. second deck removed. In its current guise, it would be uneconomical to operate as a freighter apparently.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I actually was excited the first time I was flying on an Airbus A380. After the flight though I decided never to fly on them again. Unfortunately nothing to do with the aircraft. Just that the sheer size and amount of people needing to get on and baording and getting luggage with hundreds of passengers, was just something that annoyed me. I would rather fly a smaller plane which makes it easier to board and leave off of
+1

Flights on the A380 were OKish. But the Dreamliner is head and shoulders above anything else I've flown in. Better cabin pressure at altitude, better humidity, larger windows, quiet engines, etc, etc ... all make for a less stressed and less fatiguing flight, especially long haul.

Boeing read the market right. The A380 is a brontosaurus - physically impressive, but backward-looking. It's Europe being 30 years late for the jumbo era that's already over.

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
Did they? Singapore replaced the A380's with new A350-900's didn't they?

AFAIK Airbus has about a 7 year waiting list for their new planes.