First commercial LTE call made in SA

pricing/quality is all i care about

if Telkom can launch LTE I would take them, can use my own ADSL accounts then like I did previously

Is there a way to check if your handset is LTE compatible?

Price is more important than crazy speeds. I'm HAPPY with CellC's speed.

The pic in the topic is incorrect , its plain and simple LTE and not LTE 4G

Eish my 500MG will disapear like a hot knife through butter.

WTF.

What is the difference between a normal call and an LTE call?

I thought the Galaxy S3's were not LTE enabled?

Prediction: OOB shark on LTE is gonna cause at least one person to lose their home due to the crippling debt :twisted:

It should be in your manual

Thanks

What is the difference between a normal call and an LTE call?

I thought the Galaxy S3's were not LTE enabled?

That's what I thought as well which is why I'm gonna have to go check that manual when I get home :)

Has anyone here activated LTE on theirs? I tried dialing 111 but looks like it's going to be a case of speaking to an operator which I was hoping to avoid so I'll do it another time.

Thanks

That's what I thought as well which is why I'm gonna have to go check that manual when I get home :)

Has anyone here activated LTE on theirs? I tried dialing 111 but looks like it's going to be a case of speaking to an operator which I was hoping to avoid so I'll do it another time.

I seriously doubt the South African Galaxy S3 is LTE enabled.

“Our challenge isn’t keeping ahead of the other operators – it’s keeping ahead of the tidal wave of data demand. Ninety percent of our 3G base stations are 21.6Mbps enabled, and almost 80% are 43.2Mbps enabled.”

Why then am I struggling to download email attachments or watch a clip on youtube without it stuttering and buffering all the time?! :wtf:
I suppose speed counts for nothing when you're towers are over-subscribed as hell.

With LTE, South Africa's fastest network just got even faster.
What is LTE?
At Vodacom, we understand your needs and because fast, reliable communication is an integral part of your lifestyle, we made sure we were the first network in South Africa to trial super-fast LTE back in 2010. And now we're pleased to be able to announce that the LTE network has started rolling out across South Africa.

Long Term Evolution (LTE) - also commonly referred to as 4G - promises a faster and more efficient data network, which means you can download music, movies, games and apps faster than before, as well as upload pics to your social networks in no time. It's a natural evolution from our already fast and reliable 3G network. Yes, fast just got faster.

What makes LTE so good?
It's faster - up to three times faster in fact. LTE can reach up to 60Mbps in ideal conditions. However, on average LTE subscribers will experience around 10Mbps.
The delay experienced - or latency - on a LTE network is reduced.
Higher speed and lower latency translates into a more stable user experience with stutter-free video, gaming and almost instantaneous music and picture downloads. There is less of a chance that your download will bomb out halfway through. So, you may never have to restart your download ever again.

Do I have LTE coverage in my area?
Check out our coverage map to see if your area is covered (PDF file, 2MB). If you're not covered yet, please check back regularly as we're rolling out our coverage weekly and will be updating this map frequently to ensure that you know when LTE has reached you.

What happens if I use my LTE device in a 3G area where there is no LTE coverage?
When LTE data is not available, your device will automatically switch to 3G, so you'll always be connected.

How do I connect to the LTE network?
From 10 October 2012, LTE will be available to existing Vodacom Contract customers who can request the LTE service to be activated on their SIM if they have their own LTE device supported by Vodacom.
Click here to view a list of supported devices

The LTE service may be activated in any Vodacom Shop or by calling Customer Care on 082 111.

Look out for LTE devices and deals in Vodacom stores before the end of October 2012.
To access the LTE service you will need:
To be within a LTE coverage area (PDF file, 2MB)
To be a Vodacom Contract customer
A compatible LTE device with the APN set to lte.vodacom.za
Have a 64k or 128k SIM card

Once you have the correct SIM card and device, you must have the LTE service activated on your SIM
To activate the LTE service:
Visit your nearest Vodacom Shop
Or
Call Customer Care on 082 111, FREE from a Vodacom cellphone

To show that you are in an LTE coverage area your device will display either: 4G, L, 4 or LTE in your network coverage information.

How much will LTE cost?
The LTE service is free of charge
Data usage will be charged at your normal contract rates whether you are using 3G or LTE data.

Gee Vodacom, shouldn't your priority be to provide proper 3G connectivity at the very least before implementing LTE?

I had the displeasure of using a Vodacom prepaid sim for two days (Cell C account issues of my brother's concern). I struggled to obtain EDGE connectivity with it. Switched back to Cell C last night- immediate and permanent HSDPA since...

i called 111, the guy had no clue what im talking about! when I said activate LTE he started telling me about airport device, and he didn know what it is! VODACOM GET UR ***** STRAIGHT...

Thanks

They made LTE and non-LTE S3's. I'm not sure if SA got the LTE ones.

Back