First FTTH offering in Sub-Saharan Africa

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
it will enable the user to have massive bandwidth of over 100 mbps.

hey in 20 years time we will have this also lol

VioAdmin

Expert Member
Kenya is going to take over as the #1 telecommunication 'African Country' even with their problem they realized technology is key to happy people and boosting the economy. Perhaps we can learn a thing or two from our fellow African brothers for once.

Necksy

Thank to Telkom for screwing Telkom Media, now we are going to be followers of Technology adoption in Africa. Thanx so much. :(

Ghost29

This makes me feel slightly ill. I used to be so fiercely proud of this nation but as I grow up, I get more and more dismayed at all the ways we hold ourselves back. It seems like SA isn't even willing to compete.

zeyad 001

Great we are falling back in the internet landscape drasticly in Africa.If we dont move our butts soon then say hello to becoming Africas 2nd Largest economy.

Tex

How the hell is this possible ?

Just weird to think that South Africa is one of the largest economies in Africa. One where there is so much choice to choose from which ISP you would like to use. However the weird thing is that I think all the ISP in this country are in cahoots with each other. So only they get to benefit and not us the consumer or end users.

Totally weird that we are being out done by a country this is really no on the same level as South Africa. It shows you what can be done if the right people are behind the project. :confused: :mad:

Kenya Stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya

South Africa Stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_africa

Those stats alone should mean we should be ahead of everyone else on the continent.

Last edited:

Jagtiger

Expert Member
This is not new. There was an article about FTTH in Kenya a year ago or so, with price of R600 for 1Mbit.

Joe Average

Telkom you should be ashamed!
+ 1000 Can't agree more. It is solely because of the government and their friends in Telkom that other African countries have now surpassed us completely when it come to telecoms innovation. How sick is this !!!

zamicro

Expert Member
I am not sure why everyone is going off on Telkom. Yes, I agree they suck, but this does not mean someone else cannot do it. Look at Kenya. It is not the incumbent who is offering this. It is some other companies. In SA everyone is waiting for LLU, so that we can be stuck on copper for the rest of our lives. I really hope LLU is a failure, and that some of the other licensees build a new fiber only network.

Imagine, as soon as you have a fiber local loop, you have something that not even Telkom have! Then we can look how Telkom dies a slow death...

ChrisGeo

I predict Voda/Mtn/other Telco are gona use their almost finished fibre network and expand into FTH

I said it now we just have to wait :D

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
You go Kenya. You guys have now gone where no African country has gone before. Well done. I'm rooting for you.