First person ever convicted for killing a Great White shark

MyWorld

Executive Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shark.html?ICO=most_read_module#axzz2KIP6PxaP

A south African man has become the first person in the world to be convicted of killing a great white shark after he hooked one while fishing from the shore.
But in a landmark decision Mossel Bay Magistrate's Court handed him a fine of R120,000 (£8,550) or a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for five years.
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries spokesman Lionel Adendorf said: 'This is the first great white shark case and conviction in any South African court. We are certain that the sentence will serve as a deterrent.'

I'm in two minds about this ruling. As an avid fly-fisherman, therefore a fisherman - generalizing here, I'm worried about this section:
Great white sharks have been protected in South African waters since 1991 and no person is permitted to catch them, or even to attempt to catch them.
'This prosecutor analysed the law and said as anglers fishing with heavy equipment in an area known for white sharks, they would have a reasonable expectation of catching great white sharks, and so just by fishing with that equipment in that area they are in effect breaking the law.'

I do not bait fish, I do not have the time to do more than one discipline, but this has now set a precedent that no sharks can be targeted from the shore. I know they have competitions and shark angling is a big sport, the tackle you use is the same and Great Whites can be found almost everywhere along our coasts.

I'm not against the conservation of Great Whites, I'm 100% for it, that is why I fly-fish, conservation and fly-fishing should go hand in hand, and this chop deserved the fine for killing the shark, he could have simply cut the leader when the shark was closer to shore, like almost all shark fisherman do.
What this ruling does, or should I say what this chop now went and did through his actions, is to effectively ban big game sport fishing (the tackle is regarded as "heavy tackle").

What I would have liked to see is a more balanced sentencing, convicting the chop who killed the shark, but also recognise that there MIGHT be a chance to hook one. In relation to other non endangered sharks you rarely catch a Great White from shore, they are usually caught from boats. Rather than just stamping out all "heavy tackle" angling in the Cape, rather encouraged ethical fishing (catch and release for example), cutting the line as soon as you realize it is a Great White.

Eish, this year has been a year of very bad news so far...

Last edited:

MyWorld

Executive Member
Sorry, did a search for "Great White" and could not find anything.

Tun@

Expert Member
This prosecutor analysed the law and said as anglers fishing with heavy equipment in an area known for white sharks, they would have a reasonable expectation of catching great white sharks, and so just by fishing with that equipment in that area they are in effect breaking the law.'

Kinda leads down a dangerous road for "area known for GW's",regardless the guy should have cut it loose.

Maddox.JPG

http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

Attachments

• Vindication.JPG
    Vindication.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited: