First time traveller, to Singapore, what do I need to know?

xera

Expert Member
First-time traveller, to Singapore, what do I need to know?

Hi all, it's my first-time travelling overseas and I have no idea what to expect. :eek:

What I have found out so far, is that all I need is a passport valid for the next 6 months, no Visa, and of course an airplane ticket to get there.
What else is required?
Can I take my Credit card for spending money, or is there a better way?

Also, does anybody know of any cheap but safe places to stay?

Lastly, what are some must see places? I will be taking my DSLR and hoping to get some nice photo's.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
How do you know that you're the first time traveler to Singapore? There could have been millions of time travelers there already before you.

Anyway the only thing you need to know is not change anything in the past that could affect the future.

xera

Expert Member
How do you know that you're the first time traveler to Singapore? There could have been millions of time travelers there already before you.

Anyway the only thing you need to know is not change anything in the past that could affect the future.
:D Lol got me.

See, I learnt something already about first-time travelling.

Last edited:

MKFrost

Expert Member
I can send you a KML file which you can import into Google Earth/maps with most of the places worth seeing in Singapore.

PM me you email and I'll send it to you if you're interested.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
CC should be OK if you're willing to take and extra 1-2% hit on conversion etc.

Make sure you read up on local customs a bit...won't make you blend in but will help.

If you're there on business, try to get an inviting letter from your host company there in the native language....a letter saying "we really need havoc here" has saved my bacon before...

On and new SA passports take 6-8 weeks, so apply asap if you don't meet the 6m timeline you mentioned.

saor

Honorary Master
As with visiting any country - learn a few basic greetings and words. Yeah you're gonna sound silly - but it almost always brings a smile to people's faces when you're in their country and make a little effort. Also get an app on your phone to do basic translations just in case you get stuck somewhere.

Enjoy the trip :).

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Singapore is the most western asian country there is, everyone speaks English and everything is in English. Its the first world of first world countries...

Super expensive though, except for the taxis :)

PS,

Have a San Miguel beer when you there.

MKFrost

Expert Member
Uploaded the POI's I had to a google map. Not sure how up to date they still are but should give you a good starting point.

Singapore

Just shout if the link does not work

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Uploaded the POI's I had to a google map. Not sure how up to date they still are but should give you a good starting point.

Singapore

Just shout if the link does not work
The big building by the art and science museum has a sweet bar on the top of it. Only problem is you have to pay $20 to buy a ticket to get to the top. However you should get some nice photos up there. Spent a few hours watching F-15s fly by over the bay.

You can also try the nocturnal zoo, pretty good too.

And if you get a chance when you fly in, look at how many ships are in the harbor, puts Durban to shame.

Last edited:

xera

Expert Member
Four Floors is worth seeing...I heard from a friend...of a friend.

Lol.
Hahaha, riight....

Thanks for replies all :D

Luckily my passport is still valid for a few more years.
POI's look great, would definitely like to get my hands on that file.
I googled the other places too, and will be adding them to my list.

Any idea about buying stuff and bringing it back? for eg, electronics

coldzero

i went there a very long time ago but check out Orchard street for your shopping fix (long ass street though)

Then a deffinate must is Sentosa Island. Its like their Disney Land kind of
http://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Attractions-g294264-Activities-Sentosa_Island.html
Thier underwater world is amazing and I remember we went to a kick ass bird park cant remember if it was on that island but I got to see a Toucan (like from fruit loops) that was cool.
Awesome place you going to love it.

Joka69

Expert Member
Hi all, it's my first-time travelling overseas and I have no idea what to expect. :eek:

What I have found out so far, is that all I need is a passport valid for the next 6 months, no Visa, and of course an airplane ticket to get there.
What else is required?
Can I take my Credit card for spending money, or is there a better way?

Also, does anybody know of any cheap but safe places to stay?

Lastly, what are some must see places? I will be taking my DSLR and hoping to get some nice photo's.
Check out the Universal Studios in Singapore, you wont regret it. Also, Clarquee, where all the nightclubs are. And then, be sure to check out Marina Bay Sands hotel, they have 2 clubs situated on the 57th Floor with a viewing deck, (you must check that out at night - AWESOME!)

As for Hotels, we stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, the hotel is very smart, its attached to the Bugis Junction Shopping mall.

I must say, Singapore is an awesome place, but very expensive.